ACN Latitudes Forums

another biaxin update

For the first time in a very very long time I am having somewhat of what a normal day should be. It has been 2 weeks since we started biaxin and everyday I see more improvement. There have been no rages,no cursing, and no anxiety, and minimal ocd. I guess you can say I am grandfathered into this disorder since my daughter's first episode happened when she was 10 the year was 2002. Her first episode ended after 6 months and at that time she was treated for ocd only as pandas was never mentioned to me. I stopped the meds she was taking and she remained fine for 18 months and then" it "came back. So I started researching ,read about Pandas and she fit the criteria and so the story begins. I can't say the medical field failed me but they were clueless and many never heard of Pandas. Long story short things are looking good. I am so glad I found this board and people to connect with. I am so grateful we went to Dr. T. He truly cares about all of our children.

For the first time in a very very long time I am having somewhat of what a normal day should be. It has been 2 weeks since we started biaxin and everyday I see more improvement. There have been no rages,no cursing, and no anxiety, and minimal ocd. I guess you can say I am grandfathered into this disorder since my daughter's first episode happened when she was 10 the year was 2002. Her first episode ended after 6 months and at that time she was treated for ocd only as pandas was never mentioned to me. I stopped the meds she was taking and she remained fine for 18 months and then" it "came back. So I started researching ,read about Pandas and she fit the criteria and so the story begins. I can't say the medical field failed me but they were clueless and many never heard of Pandas. Long story short things are looking good. I am so glad I found this board and people to connect with. I am so grateful we went to Dr. T. He truly cares about all of our children.

I'm so glad! I agree about Dr. T. He has been amazing.

Tired mom - were you only IgG pos for the MP or also IgM? We're on day 7 with mixed results so far. You gave me encouragement to think you're seeing "normal" on day 14... 2002 was our bad onset strep year too. Wonder how many others started then? Seems like I hear quite a few say they've been dealing with this for 7 years. Makes you wonder about the "certain strain" theory....

My ped said he's seen a lot of it this year. I know a bad cough was rampant in the school. He also said H1N1 and allergies (specifically dust mites) being on the uprise this year aided to Mycoplasma P increasing. Do you know anything about the connection with H1N1, allergies,and why that would cause Mycoplasma to be so "popular" this year?

Interestingly, bad mycoplasma infections seem to occur in every 5-7 year epidemics .... almost predictable.

More on this soon,

Dr. T

tired mom,

About the cursing is it intentional? That is or was our #1 tic .Is your ds tics or anger?

Melanie

Tired mom - were you only IgG pos for the MP or also IgM? We're on day 7 with mixed results so far. You gave me encouragement to think you're seeing "normal" on day 14... 2002 was our bad onset strep year too. Wonder how many others started then? Seems like I hear quite a few say they've been dealing with this for 7 years. Makes you wonder about the "certain strain" theory....

Hi Rachel,

I'm not sure. My daughters Dr. won't be in till Weds but the nurse told me her number was 3202 (700 is the norm) and 5.0 for myco. Does that make sense??? I should have went to med. school. Michelle

tired mom,

About the cursing is it intentional? That is or was our #1 tic .Is your ds tics or anger?

Melanie

I would have to say it stems from the ocd and a high level of anxiety. She has not used foul language since starting Biaxin.

tired mom,

Melanie

I would have to say it stems from the ocd and a high level of anxiety. She has not used foul language since starting Biaxin.

<

Melanie -

My daughter (7) also has foul language usage and anger - also very controlled under recent script of Biaxin.

I feel like I AM going to medical school!! (ha ha) Unfortunately the #s don't make much sense to me. Our lab doesn't report numbers, just "negative" or "positive". We had positive IgG but negative IgM, indicative of either past infection or chronic infection (that results in no rise in IgM). Did they say if her Myco is current?

Hi Rachel,

I'm not sure. My daughters Dr. won't be in till Weds but the nurse told me her number was 3202 (700 is the norm) and 5.0 for myco. Does that make sense??? I should have went to med. school. Michelle

I feel like I AM going to medical school!! (ha ha) Unfortunately the #s don't make much sense to me. Our lab doesn't report numbers, just "negative" or "positive". We had positive IgG but negative IgM, indicative of either past infection or chronic infection (that results in no rise in IgM). Did they say if her Myco is current?

I will let you know. I should find out today.

Hi Rachel,

Throw us into the mix. My ds16's first experience with PANDAS was in fall of 2002, he was 8. It happened again in fall of 2006 when he was 11. This one started this fall at age 15. Looking at his symptoms in each exacerbation and the labs that Dr. T. drew, it would certainly be reasonable to suspect mycoplasma was an issue, if not the key contributor, in each backslide. He was positive this time for IgG and IgM.