ACN Latitudes Forums

A different doctor T

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate his acceptance but not the cheap shots.

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/...-tourettes/?hpw

How in the world do you make the assumtion that this is the same Dr T? I searched and found several Nurobiologist (Dr. Rosario Trifiletti is a Pediactric Nurologist by the way) who go by the name Dr. T and work at Ivy League Institutions and they are not "our" Dr T.

Why post something like this without being certain as to what you are talking about. Dr. T has been nothing but kind to everyone here. Don't you owe him the benifit of the doubt if you are wondering who wrote into that blog?

Best to know the facts before you go and make hurtful statments and accuse someone of being dishonest and a trader!

What is happening to this forum?

Kari

How in the world do you make the assumtion that this is the same Dr T? I searched and found several Nurobiologist (Dr. Rosario Trifiletti is a Pediactric Nurologist by the way) who go by the name Dr. T and work at Ivy League Institutions and they are not "our" Dr T.

Why post something like this without being certain as to what you are talking about. Dr. T has been nothing but kind to everyone here. Don't you owe him the benifit of the doubt if you are wondering who wrote into that blog?

Best to know the facts before you go and make hurtful statments and accuse someone of being dishonest and a trader!

What is happening to this forum?

Kari

I thought she meant she was talking about a different Dr T???

No offense...but i completely hated this article and only affirms what every neuro has told me..

and we here are not ducks fallling in line going "what ever you say doc"...where would our success stories we have here be if that was their personality..

where would we be now without the people before us on this board

and if none of these people have seen abatement it means what ever is being done is going after the wrong target....maybe that is why there is so little success in ts and ocd with in network doctors

And that is what leads to the hopelessness

which leads me back to a father passing on an autoimmune conditon that manifest in ts(which only explains it's manifestation...... and not just in realation to strep, but any infection and some we do not yet know of as we in the last couple of months are begining to realize

and as in the the today show clip...how the doc explained how strep may trigger something else and flip the switch on the t cells and that could go in both directions to increase or decrease dopamine......

And from what i understand Lauren is actually dealing with myco p....so a prior infection of strep or maybe it was just MP that flipped it for her..

And as i will say again....i can stand next to somene in a store and say excuse me 5 times... i don't expect people to realize thewy werw sick or ill...or showing not symptoms but actually had silent illness and correlate it to ticcing a week later

the other possiblites include allergies, parasites, tmj etc....ssri and other treatments dont work because they are going down the wrong alley

from what i am reading.....those with success have been on this fantastic site to find 1 or combination of the many(which is the real problem, i bet there are 100) actual underlying causes....

Now if we could just the drug companies out of the pockets of the peoplye slapping you on the back and saying good luck, with a boot to the back side!!!!

I'm not shooting the messenger...

JMHO.....not mad just tired of hearing it and that there is no hope in site for the "TS" diagnnosed

we are like that 1st autism mom who told the docs &^*&*& and did the exercies 6 hours a day and the fiengold diet and ended up with a healthy adult !!!!!

It is frustrating to read his opinion when he states the strep factor, but he is one of those docs and may eventually eat his words 5 years from now. He also has t/s himself so his viewpoint may be different and just more focused on the t/s itself and maybe he has not come across a pandas case yet.

I am sorry If I misunderstood. I thought you meant that is was our Dr. T just another side of him we did not know about. Guess I am the one who has the suspicious mind. Please accept my apologies.

Do I sound like I am on edge or what?????

Kari

just before folks get upset....the OP specifically said this was a DIFFERENT DrT who commented on that article!

re his comments.....all I can say is phooey to those who let their ignorance, and stubborn refusal to look beyond their prejudice, stand in the way of progress toward healing :angry:

and Fixit

every time a doctor tells you there is "no hope in sight" for those with a TS diagnosis...look 'em in the eye and say "meet Chemar's son!" ^_^

It is frustrating to read his opinion when he states the strep factor, but he is one of those docs and may eventually eat his words 5 years from now. He also has t/s himself so his viewpoint may be different and just more focused on the t/s itself and maybe he has not come across a pandas case yet.

And just to reaffirm what i was saying,,,he is probably pandas....but doesn't remember being sick and back whenever even less was know then, and children were under less of a microsscope...as you cuold play outside freely and his parents may not have put it together...people who saw my son up until he got worse either didn't notice(like i said peiople are bling) and my inlaws just thought he was a kid being goofy!!!

just before folks get upset....the OP specifically said this was a DIFFERENT DrT who commented on that article!

re his comments.....all I can say is phooey to those who let their ignorance, and stubborn refusal to look beyond their prejudice, stand in the way of progress toward healing :angry:

and Fixit

every time a doctor tells you there is "no hope in sight" for those with a TS diagnosis...look 'em in the eye and say "meet Chemar's son!" ^_^

THANKS CHEMAR!!!!!!! ^_^

well put Chemar!!

Deanna

No it's not me.

Does anybody actually read the New York Times any more?

Dr. T

Hey now - I love the NY Times! Especially the travel section! A girl can dream!!!!

I should add that I also read the Wall Street Journal. I am big on seeing both perspectives.

Does anyone get the sense that there is something really wrong with that post?

How many "neurobiologist at an Ivy League institution," would lower themselves to such nonsense?

Has he identified what gene is causing "his" condition? Is he implying that because there is research that shows a hereditary factor in some cases, that there isn't any more to be learned about movement disorders?

Is he aware that there are at least two CDC acknowledged studies showing a higher incidence of tics in children recieving higher amts. of thimerosal? These studies did not include any children with autism spectrum disorders either (which may be the very group that would show this association most clearly). Does he know the ins and outs of the PANDAS research? Why didn't the responding Dr.s point out ANY one of these things?

Anyway, I think you get my point.

I hope he shows up here and proves me wrong. I'm sure there are a few others that would have some questions for him too, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Maybe he could set us straight on some of the questions that keep us awake at night....if he exists

If Tourette Syndrome is totally genetic - to paraphrase Enrico Fermi

With respect to the genes

Where are they?

Tourette syndrome is something that is generally obvious to tell if one does or does not have.

It's a common disease - 0.1-1% of the population has it

There are many families with multiple affected members

Autism is much harder to diagnose with certainty and yet 150+ genes have been found

Where are the Tourette genes?

Here is the reason, I think, Tourette genes have not been found - genetics are only PART of the story of Tourettes

Remember Disease = Genes + Environment

There are powerful epi-genetic (i.e. external) factors at play in Tourette's - many studies have suggested this.

The presence of a powerful environmental factor confounds linkage analysis --- makes it very hard to find genes - same problem in Parkinson's disease - only a few genes found - accounting for <10% of the cases

What might the "environmental factor be" --- strep, mycoplasma, others -- they are driving this illness, genes to a lesser extent.

So where are the genes - in fact the "other Dr. T's" statement that "Tourette's is all genetic" is not only incorrect, but its falsity is in fact a powerful argument for PANDAS!

The "real" Dr. T