ACN Latitudes Forums

7th Day of Biaxin-An Update on my Son

I am so happy for you. :D

I know it has been said on here many times, but just keep an eye on the fish oil. It caused terrible tics for my daughter.

I will thanks. He's been taking it for a couple of years now and I don't notice an effect but I'll keep watching to make sure I'm not just missing something.

I am really glad that things are getting better for you.

I want to point out the possiblility of a penicillin allergy in your son. I know very little about it. I can only tell you my observations.

My daughter was recently taking amoxicillin, after taking 10 days of Omnicef (which she did very well on)...she looked bad on the amox, the purple under her eyes really deepened. She also had two times when she was a little itchy and benadryl took care of it--she was also on prednisolone 15mg 2x/day...so that may have supressed a rash???

From Sept to Feb she was taking pen vk without any issues. When I told Dr. Latimer about the itching on the amox, and I suggested we switch to augmentin, she said if you are allergic to penicillin, you are allergic to all penicillins...so I tried to keep going on the amox (because she did fine on the pen vk) but when the school nurse had to give her benadryl for the itching, I knew it was too much...So I asked tha she be put back on the Omnicef because any gains that she had made on that were gone...I think for us it is a good choice.

But...when you google Omnicef or read the pharmacy insert it does say that if you are allergic to penicillin, you may also be allergic to Omnicef.

If your son, had those shiners under his eyes while taking penicillin, then he may have been allergic...penicillin, amoxicillin and augmentin are all penicillin medications, and if you have a penicillin allergy, you may not be able to take some cephalasporins..such as omnicef.

This could be one piece of the puzzle as to why your son is better on the Biaxin.

Just posted update on us switching to augmentin, but that was a switch from only 250mg penicillin. We were told he had allergy shiners too ( the purple shiny below both his eyes) but when the allergist did allergy testing it came up negative on everything. So where does that look of the allergy shiner come into play - idk- I would have him allergy tested so you knew for sure- we treated him for 2plus years for allergies come to find out he never had.

My oldest (non-PANDAS I think) daughter broke out in a rash after taking amoxicillin the first time. Follow-up allergy testing showed no reaction to a skin test of penicillin. However, the allergist sent us home with some chewable amoxicillin and by day 2 she again broke out in a rash. I was then told that she is allergic to ALL penicillins.

Was your son on the penicillin when he had the shiners? I would watch carefully if he is on augmentin---that's a penicillin too. See my post above about my other PANDAS daughter's reaacton to amoxicillin...even though she took pen vk for months.

I am really glad that things are getting better for you.

I want to point out the possiblility of a penicillin allergy in your son. I know very little about it. I can only tell you my observations.

My daughter was recently taking amoxicillin, after taking 10 days of Omnicef (which she did very well on)...she looked bad on the amox, the purple under her eyes really deepened. She also had two times when she was a little itchy and benadryl took care of it--she was also on prednisolone 15mg 2x/day...so that may have supressed a rash???

From Sept to Feb she was taking pen vk without any issues. When I told Dr. Latimer about the itching on the amox, and I suggested we switch to augmentin, she said if you are allergic to penicillin, you are allergic to all penicillins...so I tried to keep going on the amox (because she did fine on the pen vk) but when the school nurse had to give her benadryl for the itching, I knew it was too much...So I asked tha she be put back on the Omnicef because any gains that she had made on that were gone...I think for us it is a good choice.

But...when you google Omnicef or read the pharmacy insert it does say that if you are allergic to penicillin, you may also be allergic to Omnicef.

If your son, had those shiners under his eyes while taking penicillin, then he may have been allergic...penicillin, amoxicillin and augmentin are all penicillin medications, and if you have a penicillin allergy, you may not be able to take some cephalasporins..such as omnicef.

This could be one piece of the puzzle as to why your son is better on the Biaxin.

That is interesting thought. I wonder if I look back through his records if I will find other times we've used Omnicef and had issues. I know we've had rashes following amoxicillan.

Just posted update on us switching to augmentin, but that was a switch from only 250mg penicillin. We were told he had allergy shiners too ( the purple shiny below both his eyes) but when the allergist did allergy testing it came up negative on everything. So where does that look of the allergy shiner come into play - idk- I would have him allergy tested so you knew for sure- we treated him for 2plus years for allergies come to find out he never had.

My oldest (non-PANDAS I think) daughter broke out in a rash after taking amoxicillin the first time. Follow-up allergy testing showed no reaction to a skin test of penicillin. However, the allergist sent us home with some chewable amoxicillin and by day 2 she again broke out in a rash. I was then told that she is allergic to ALL penicillins.

Was your son on the penicillin when he had the shiners? I would watch carefully if he is on augmentin---that's a penicillin too. See my post above about my other PANDAS daughter's reaacton to amoxicillin...even though she took pen vk for months.

Wow- he was complaining of his forehead being really itchy the last couple days. He started getting an URI though, so kinda blamed it on that, but I wonder if it is an allergy to the penicillin and augmentin. Is there a way to test for allergy to penicllin?

Wow- he was complaining of his forehead being really itchy the last couple days. He started getting an URI though, so kinda blamed it on that, but I wonder if it is an allergy to the penicillin and augmentin. Is there a way to test for allergy to penicllin?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a URI?

Also, I don't know if you can develop an allergy to pen after taking it for a while...I'll try to google it when I get a chance

Oh man...now he has an upper respiratory infection! Yes, that will cause setbacks, and a decent one at that since it's so early in treating the PANDAS. Who dx that infection? Did you ask them if it could be Myco P?

I am pretty much guessing that( the uri) , it started on Thursday and yep thats when he started having some small behavioral fits again. He has had upper resp's about every 2-3 months since he was 1. So I can recognize it pretty easy since he's had so many, although my husband , who's with him today, said he is sickwise much better today and also even "fit" wise, in a great mood. The regressive behaviors and ocd and tics are all still there but not the anger. So wow, this is really going hand in hand for him- I am wondering if the augmentin held off that sick and its swinging to the better side again????

Now my husband and I are both sick also, I barely have a voice today, am just waiting for the doc here to call back with time for the whole family to come in.