ACN Latitudes Forums

DHEA

Hi,

Our pediatrician has ordered blood tests for my DD16 to see what her DHEA levels are. We're going to supplement to help her body fight the inflammation on its own. She had such great improvement with Prednisone, but the side effects were really horrific, one of which is hormonal disruption. As DHEA is a hormone, it's like it's needed to re-balance things, and also should act like a steroid to reduce inflammation in general.

Has anyone out there had success with DHEA?

Thanks,

Allison

Hi,

Our pediatrician has ordered blood tests for my DD16 to see what her DHEA levels are. We're going to supplement to help her body fight the inflammation on its own. She had such great improvement with Prednisone, but the side effects were really horrific, one of which is hormonal disruption. As DHEA is a hormone, it's like it's needed to re-balance things, and also should act like a steroid to reduce inflammation in general.

Has anyone out there had success with DHEA?

Thanks,

Allison

I am not a doctor,nor am close to understanding the full monty of what is going on here and i read practicly all day...

But from what i've googled via mayo clinic and other it looks a little dangerous especially for a woman, (hair growth and other side effects)

Thanks for looking that up for us. I know that the potential for harm exists, and in fact our local natural foodstore (PCC for those of you in Seattle area) won't carry it because it's risky without doctor supervision. I've heard that the growth factor in it can also promote tumor growth as well.

However, I'm confident that with our doctor (regular MD pediatrician) checking blood levels first and then dosing to standard of care, we'll be in safe hands.

Certainly, I'm willing to risk mild side effects compared to Prednisone whammies.

Anyone else out there hear/know anything more? I'll post as I continue my research. This is all new to me, too.

Allison

Our ped mentioned to me yesterday that DS9 should take DHEA with steroids on his next steroid burst. He had good results from the burst but was hard to live with while he was taking the steroids. Very aggressive and bad-tempered. She told us this should help with that side effect and we should give him DHEA just for the 5 days that he takes the steroids. I haven't researched it myself at all.

Hi, Britmom,

Your Ped is right. Normally the two go together, with the DHEA balancing out the Prednisone. In our case we didn't find out about it until recently, and will try it anyhow, even after last month's Prednisone course.

Btw -- are you Britmom because you're a Brit? Or your kid is called Brit? Just curious.