ACN Latitudes Forums

May be a family history

mom2ck

Well, I have finally decided to discuss a subject that has bothered me for a long time. I feel I can trust you all and hope to get some insight into this.

Like everyone on here we are trying to help to figure out issues with ourselves or our children. Through my son's last 4 years, I have been trying to put the pieces together and figure out if there is anyone else in the family that has or had similar issues as he does. As a reminder he is dx Aspergers, ADHD, OCD, and tics disorder.

When he was little, I swore he acted like his father and felt his then dx of ADHD was inherited from his father. But since then, I just don't know. I have found people on my side of the family, had ADHD and OCD like symptoms but no one was ever diagnosed. Then I start thinking about myself and how I have some OCD things like things having to be organized, things having to be put in "their" place, nothing lying on the bar area, having to have a drink after brushing my teeth, all shoes being on the rack before going to bed, etc, etc.

Then, I think back to my own childhood and found I was so clumsy like my son but thought it was caused from growth spurts. However, I exceled in sports and don't remember having any motor skill delays. I also didn't have many friends and played alone a lot until 3rd or 4th grade. When I had a friend, it was usually 1 close friend and friendly with others. I don't remember having any self-stims except for a sexual behavior of rubbing on a chair that I did for many years from prob. 1st or 2nd grade and onward. I never admitted to it and ignored the situation if it was brought up. Still to this day, I won't talk about it. And no I wasn't abused, molested, or saw anything. I remember at the time, I didn't know why I did it other than it made me relax. So, now I think it must have been some type of sensory stimulation. I also apparently blink my eyes a lot and move my eyes from side to side and roll them. I don't notice it at all, but other people tell me I do it. Everyone thinks I have freaky eyes. I just think they are normal as my mom has always moved hers side to side and my dad rolls them.

So anyway, I am just trying to figure out if any of this has any connection with my son's issues. Are any of his problems inherited or just merely unexplainable as they really have no precise cause of Autism/Aspergers.

Anyone able to give me your thoughts on a connection or on my own past behaviors or problems.

Thanks