ACN Latitudes Forums

Non-Fish-Based Essential Fatty Acids

mom-2-2's post perhaps about a month ago, discussing some things she's learned along the way, included suggestion of more EPA per day than DHA (7 to 1 ratio I think). That got me going and relooking, as I had been supplementing with vegetarian sources including DHA from algae, but only extremely small amounts of EPA (4mg per day). I'm restricted more by desire to stay away from fish products, rather than allergy, but it occurs to me to post what I'm taking, just in case anyone dealing with fish allergies is unaware of some of these options out there.

The flax oil is high in omega 3's and is good at balancing out the high omega 6 diets most of us have, and the omega 3's can be converted into DHA and EPA. The issue is that only small percentages are converted.

There are algae based DHA supplements out there. I tested bad for it, so never took it, but Dr. Fuhrman has a website where his brand of it is sold. The product made by NuTru, called O-Mega-Zen, comes in pills or liquid, is another pure DHA product, it is the one I am using. Spectrum Naturals sells probably a dozen varieties of flax oils in the health food stores, and one has added DHA in it, and that has been a mainstay for me for a while. The 130mg of DHA per Tablespoon is still low, and the 4mg of EPA almost nonexistent, thus the reason for getting a pure DHA product. Some stores don't carry it without special order as it doesn't last as long and is less popular, but it does end up on sale sometimes as a result. It is probably cheaper to go with straight flax oil plus straight DHA product rather than flax with DHA oil plus additional DHA product, and I'll probably transition to that eventually, but I have a bit already purchased to use up.

All these things above will likely lead to much more DHA than EPA, and mom-2-2 was suggesting going the other way. I was unable to find a straight non-fish EPA supplement, or even a combination EPA + DHA product that would result in anything more than the same ratio I am already getting. Both DHA and EPA can be derived from algae, so I do believe it's only a matter of time, but right now, the EPA from algae is just too expensive for companies to try to sell. The next best thing is oils with SDA (a kind of omega 3) and GLA (a kind of omega 6), which, particularly when together, can convert better to EPA than the more typical ALA omega 3. Hemp oil is high in SDA and GLA, so I have added that. Unlike flax oil, hemp oil has a good ratio of omega 3 to omega 6, meaning, when combined with most people's diets of too much omega 6, will result in a total ratio that is too much omega 6 (unless also supplement with flax oil). By the way, I use the nutiva brand of hemp oil, along with nutiva brand of hemp protein powder, and am not comfortable posting my reason for avoiding manitoba farms brand, but, if anyone is using or considering using manitoba farms brand, you might PM me and I could discuss there.

Another product I just found is Echiomega, made by igennus, a company in the UK. The capsule has various ingredients, it is a soft squishy style capsule, and includes carrageneenan (mentioned because some with TS have difficulties with it). The contents of the capsule just has pure oil from echium seeds, a seed that is just extremely high in SDA's and GLA's, way more than hemp oil even. I just bite the capsule in my mouth and swallow the contents and spit out the shell, as it is extremely difficult to chew, and I can't swallow pills.

My body is now testing for two of the Echiomega capsules, plus 1 tablespoon of the hemp oil, plus 1 teaspoon of the flax with DHA oil (includes about 40mg DHA), plus some drops of the pure DHA to add another 100mg of DHA. It's a bit of a production, but I am reading emphasis on these essential fatty acids and so have put a bit of effort into it, as needed due to avoidance of fish kind of limiting choices a lot. My body testing says it prefers this blend much better than what I was doing before, so thanks to mom-2-2 for the encouragement to seek out a better EPA-DHA ratio. This approach of using GLA's and SDA's means you really don't know how much EPA you're getting, since you get what you convert, so, not nearly as scientific as using the fish oils, I'm sure. Just started a few days ago, nothing really to report in terms of making a difference healthwise.

Michael

mom-2-2's post perhaps about a month ago, discussing some things she's learned along the way, included suggestion of more EPA per day than DHA (7 to 1 ratio I think). That got me going and relooking, as I had been supplementing with vegetarian sources including DHA from algae, but only extremely small amounts of EPA (4mg per day). I'm restricted more by desire to stay away from fish products, rather than allergy, but it occurs to me to post what I'm taking, just in case anyone dealing with fish allergies is unaware of some of these options out there.

The flax oil is high in omega 3's and is good at balancing out the high omega 6 diets most of us have, and the omega 3's can be converted into DHA and EPA. The issue is that only small percentages are converted.

There are algae based DHA supplements out there. I tested bad for it, so never took it, but Dr. Fuhrman has a website where his brand of it is sold. The product made by NuTru, called O-Mega-Zen, comes in pills or liquid, is another pure DHA product, it is the one I am using. Spectrum Naturals sells probably a dozen varieties of flax oils in the health food stores, and one has added DHA in it, and that has been a mainstay for me for a while. The 130mg of DHA per Tablespoon is still low, and the 4mg of EPA almost nonexistent, thus the reason for getting a pure DHA product. Some stores don't carry it without special order as it doesn't last as long and is less popular, but it does end up on sale sometimes as a result. It is probably cheaper to go with straight flax oil plus straight DHA product rather than flax with DHA oil plus additional DHA product, and I'll probably transition to that eventually, but I have a bit already purchased to use up.

All these things above will likely lead to much more DHA than EPA, and mom-2-2 was suggesting going the other way. I was unable to find a straight non-fish EPA supplement, or even a combination EPA + DHA product that would result in anything more than the same ratio I am already getting. Both DHA and EPA can be derived from algae, so I do believe it's only a matter of time, but right now, the EPA from algae is just too expensive for companies to try to sell. The next best thing is oils with SDA (a kind of omega 3) and GLA (a kind of omega 6), which, particularly when together, can convert better to EPA than the more typical ALA omega 3. Hemp oil is high in SDA and GLA, so I have added that. Unlike flax oil, hemp oil has a good ratio of omega 3 to omega 6, meaning, when combined with most people's diets of too much omega 6, will result in a total ratio that is too much omega 6 (unless also supplement with flax oil). By the way, I use the nutiva brand of hemp oil, along with nutiva brand of hemp protein powder, and am not comfortable posting my reason for avoiding manitoba farms brand, but, if anyone is using or considering using manitoba farms brand, you might PM me and I could discuss there.

Another product I just found is Echiomega, made by igennus, a company in the UK. The capsule has various ingredients, it is a soft squishy style capsule, and includes carrageneenan (mentioned because some with TS have difficulties with it). The contents of the capsule just has pure oil from echium seeds, a seed that is just extremely high in SDA's and GLA's, way more than hemp oil even. I just bite the capsule in my mouth and swallow the contents and spit out the shell, as it is extremely difficult to chew, and I can't swallow pills.

My body is now testing for two of the Echiomega capsules, plus 1 tablespoon of the hemp oil, plus 1 teaspoon of the flax with DHA oil (includes about 40mg DHA), plus some drops of the pure DHA to add another 100mg of DHA. It's a bit of a production, but I am reading emphasis on these essential fatty acids and so have put a bit of effort into it, as needed due to avoidance of fish kind of limiting choices a lot. My body testing says it prefers this blend much better than what I was doing before, so thanks to mom-2-2 for the encouragement to seek out a better EPA-DHA ratio. This approach of using GLA's and SDA's means you really don't know how much EPA you're getting, since you get what you convert, so, not nearly as scientific as using the fish oils, I'm sure. Just started a few days ago, nothing really to report in terms of making a difference healthwise.

Michael

Agreed, she really got me rethinking my omega combination for my son!

Glad you both are seeing gains from adjusting your EPA:DHA ratios!

Michael

There's another brand of vegetarian (algae) DHA called Cerebrum, made by Healthspan (another UK company). It has 100mg of DHA and some lecithin. It's in capsules (vegetarian), but they are quite small and easy to swallow. I take 2 of those and 2220mg of flaxseed oil (in capsules), although I must admit I've never seen any particular effects from it. Just another option.

What a coincidence! I was just researching this subject in regard to anti-inflammatory strategies for using using EFAs, etc.

My pediatrician, who treats many Pandas kids (WA state) said that some of her patients have read and appreciated a book on inflammation, so I looked into it and found a negative review from the Weston Price Foundation Website (http://www.westonaprice.org/Inflammation-Nation-by-Floyd-H.-Chilton.html)

Then I went on to read this page from Sally Fallon and Mary Enig: http://www.westonaprice.org/Tripping-Light...n-Pathways.html

And here's a select quote from it that explains why our bodies have trouble making DHA & EPA from Omega 3:

"Under optimum conditions, adults can make both DHA and EPA out of linolenic acid, the omega-3 essential fatty acid. But conditions are rarely optimal. Lack of many nutrients can inhibit the desaturating enzymes (D6D and D5D) that make this conversion, including deficiencies of protein, zinc, biotin, vitamin E, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. Consumption of sugar, trans fatty acids and overconsumption of commercial vegetable oils, high in omega-6 fatty acids, also inhibits these enzymes. There is some evidence that an excess of oleic acid (found chiefly in olive oil and nuts) may inhibit prostaglandin production. On the other hand, saturated fats, especially lauric acid found in coconut oil, improve the body's production of DHA and EPA."

Just love it when this happens -- I still had the windows open and everything!

Yes, for me, it is primarily a vegan issue. The fish and fish oils can be polluted with heavy metals as well, something for people to also keep in mind if they choose to use them, but I do hear that there are clean ones (not that I've kept track of which ones were which). I guess that's good to consider especially for those encountering an increase in tics when taking fish oil. If you've tried just one or two brands, and don't know what you've tried to be pure from heavy metals ... besides going to the vegetarian sources, you might also look for a really pure fish oil and try it.

Michael