ACN Latitudes Forums

Thoughts on furry stuff on tongue?

A few days ago, I ended up with this slightly furry looking yellowish-greenish stuff on the top of my tongue, covering a lot of it. I had really strange breath and it made food taste really weird for that day. After the one day, it has diminished, the breath and tasting issues are gone, but it is still there. This came about 5-7 days after stopping biaxin, and just a couple days after bumping up the antifungal nystatin dose, so kind of wondering if it could be fungal or bacteria related. I have seen internet pictures of candida growth on the tongue, and it was white, but otherwise similarly gross. Has anyone had anything like this? Any guesses on what it might be? Kind of wish my doctor hadn't blown me off on Monday, he would've got a good luck at it!

Michael

A few days ago, I ended up with this slightly furry looking yellowish-greenish stuff on the top of my tongue, covering a lot of it. I had really strange breath and it made food taste really weird for that day. After the one day, it has diminished, the breath and tasting issues are gone, but it is still there. This came about 5-7 days after stopping biaxin, and just a couple days after bumping up the antifungal nystatin dose, so kind of wondering if it could be fungal or bacteria related. I have seen internet pictures of candida growth on the tongue, and it was white, but otherwise similarly gross. Has anyone had anything like this? Any guesses on what it might be? Kind of wish my doctor hadn't blown me off on Monday, he would've got a good luck at it!

Michael

A few months ago my daughter had a white film on her tongue and she was told it was geographic tongue and it was nothing she had to treat. It did go away but came back about a week later and then gone again.

I don't know about what Michael explained, but as for a geographic tongue, my husband has that. It's not a whitish coat but instead it not smooth. Not caverns or pimple like things, but not smooth. You can keep that in check by staying away for acidic foods like orange juice. I think there's also a rinse you can do to help.

Hi Michael. I have heard of this associated with antibiotic use as well as candida. White and green

probably related to good bacteria death from the antibiotic?

do you have kefir or yoghurt as a probiotic or even some coconut oil?

maybe try swishing some of those in your mouth and see if it improves? it worked for me after I once had clindamycin and got furry tongue

michael,

After my son's T&A and loads of antibiotics he first started with the black/greenish tongue. It slowly turned into totally white tongue with bumps. We used the nystain for 2 weeks with no results. So I had him drink only coconut water and water nothing else. We took out of his diet all foods that yeast feeds on and in a month it was all gone. His tongue is all pink just like before.

He did do what Chemar said, "Swish with coconut oil" and spit it out.

CP

Michael

My son will sometimes wake with a brown tongue that can be anywhere from just the back of his tongue to covering it. He reports a bad taste and can tell me its brown before I even look. It always coincides with the symptoms we call acid reflux but that our DAN! doc used to call yeast overgrowth. In my son's current state, if we miss one day of probiotics or prevacid 20mg before bed he'll wake up with it. It's interesting to think that he was dealing with it last weekend and many times during his middle school experience and in neither of those cases were abx being used. In my kid, it's a good barometer of the fragile state of his gut on any given day.

Gat's mom.

Thanks for everybody's interesting thoughts and experiences. Sounds like from your feedback, my best guess is this is a bit of a detox reaction from really bumping up the antifungals following the antibiotics. I have been totally grain free, and no peanuts or pistachios, and no yeasts or fermenteds or vinegars and so on, only very occasional small amount of grapefruit or granny smith as far as fruits are concerned, and on and on, really feel like I've eliminated about all that I can as far as that goes. I have even tried swooshing the mega-doses of nystatin in my mouth for a while before swallowing, not sure if it helped or not, but it's still there. Don't use the kefir/yogurt products, but will definitely try the coconut oil swoosh, sounds delicious. Timing wise, ugggh, literally just back from an NAET session where we treated essential fatty acids and got instructions to avoid all oils for the 24 hour period, so, that'll wait until tomorrow! Perhaps can try swooshing on the tongue the probiotics I do take, since I empty the powder from capsules anyway.

Gat's Mom--Regarding the acid reflux and yeast overgrowth issue, I suffered with acid reflux for over 20 years, it just got worse and worse and worse with time. Finally went to a GI doc, asked if it was candida or anything like that, she did endoscopy and colonoscopy, diagnosed hiatal hernia, said nothing like candida as she would've seen it. I started on antifungals a couple/few months ago, have needed extremely large doses and made amazing progress. Acid reflux is completely gone except for occasional night when bump up nystatin dose and get die-off reaction. I can attest to the acid reflux, at least sometimes, being really caused by fungal/yeast infection, contrary to the lame story the GI doctors sell that your body just making too much acid, because it's just too darn stupid to know when to stop. Given how popular these drugs are, methinks that half the population can't have bodies that are just too darn stupid to know when to stop. By the way, all of these proton pump inhibitor "acid blockers" like prevacid are low-grade antifungals, and this may be some or all of the reason why the have the very limited positive effect they do.

Michael

Thanks for everybody's interesting thoughts and experiences. Sounds like from your feedback, my best guess is this is a bit of a detox reaction from really bumping up the antifungals following the antibiotics. I have been totally grain free, and no peanuts or pistachios, and no yeasts or fermenteds or vinegars and so on, only very occasional small amount of grapefruit or granny smith as far as fruits are concerned, and on and on, really feel like I've eliminated about all that I can as far as that goes. I have even tried swooshing the mega-doses of nystatin in my mouth for a while before swallowing, not sure if it helped or not, but it's still there. Don't use the kefir/yogurt products, but will definitely try the coconut oil swoosh, sounds delicious. Timing wise, ugggh, literally just back from an NAET session where we treated essential fatty acids and got instructions to avoid all oils for the 24 hour period, so, that'll wait until tomorrow! Perhaps can try swooshing on the tongue the probiotics I do take, since I empty the powder from capsules anyway.

Gat's Mom--Regarding the acid reflux and yeast overgrowth issue, I suffered with acid reflux for over 20 years, it just got worse and worse and worse with time. Finally went to a GI doc, asked if it was candida or anything like that, she did endoscopy and colonoscopy, diagnosed hiatal hernia, said nothing like candida as she would've seen it. I started on antifungals a couple/few months ago, have needed extremely large doses and made amazing progress. Acid reflux is completely gone except for occasional night when bump up nystatin dose and get die-off reaction. I can attest to the acid reflux, at least sometimes, being really caused by fungal/yeast infection, contrary to the lame story the GI doctors sell that your body just making too much acid, because it's just too darn stupid to know when to stop. Given how popular these drugs are, methinks that half the population can't have bodies that are just too darn stupid to know when to stop. By the way, all of these proton pump inhibitor "acid blockers" like prevacid are low-grade antifungals, and this may be some or all of the reason why the have the very limited positive effect they do.

Michael

Michael

Wow, Michael, I had no clue prevacid had an antifungal quality to it! Gat does well as long as we don't skip probiotics and prevacid. I should mention in keeping with the topic that Dr. T brought up a few days ago, the only time we have reflux/yeast/gut issues is when he's in a PANDAS/PITAND exacerbation. Chicken or the egg?

Wow, Michael, I had no clue prevacid had an antifungal quality to it! Gat does well as long as we don't skip probiotics and prevacid. I should mention in keeping with the topic that Dr. T brought up a few days ago, the only time we have reflux/yeast/gut issues is when he's in a PANDAS/PITAND exacerbation. Chicken or the egg?

I think it may be a chicken-and-egg question at least a couple ways. Of course we all wonder how we got stuck in this predicament, and how it all started. But also, in trying to cure or manage the situation, I have read, wish I could remember it straight, but there is some interaction between bacteria and fungus. One can protect the other, making it harder to eliminate the other one. The protection may go both ways, or only one way, I don't remember. It's all got to be true at least in terms of lowering immune function, but this was meant more specifically, kind of like how augmentin has the two different chemicals, the one acid to help make it harder for the bacteria to hide or whatever, it was more that kind of idea...

Michael