ACN Latitudes Forums

Onset Of Puberty and IVIG

Well, with my son he had a cough, the doc listened to his chest and just matter of factly said "mycoplasma". He said that we probably noticed the cough was different. Well, no we didn't notice the cough sounded any different. To us, it sounded like a cough.We weren't even concerned about the cough.

I think others on here have gotten a blood test to determine if they have/had Myco P. But then it gets confusing because one level rises during the first infection, but if you get it again, it may not rise. Here's quote about that...

"A positive result indicates prior exposure to Mycoplasma. A single positive IgG result may be present in the absence of any clinical symptoms as specific IgG antibodies may remain elevated long after initial infection. Recent or acute infection can only be documented by a positive Mycoplasma IgM result and/or a significant increase in the IgG value between sera drawn two to four weeks apart. Specific IgM antibodies may persist for several months after infection or be absent during reinfection."

I haven't gone done the blood test route so I don't really have a lot of info on that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for mycoplasma we should test both IgG and IgM...but like strep titers, the results may not tell the full story?

For treatment are most people finding 14 days of Biaxin is enough (and then switch back to Azith)...or are they doing more?

Hi EAMOM,

We were one of the 3 that switched from zith to just biaxin xl with a solidly positive result.... for the first 3-7 days. Since the poll (no more polls for me-kiss of death), next 4 days backslide and we are on day 12. Doc mentioned if backslide continues one more day, may add Aug. to the mix. My dd10 weighs about 80lbs so she's right on the cusp btn the 500mg and 1000mg; can't cut one in half bcs of the extended release. Also, something about the Aug/Biaxin mix might help competing carrier of strep and myco-p.

JAG

I don't know when they are switching back. I believe Gat's Mom was one of the others that switched from Zith. I'm not sure how long ago that was.

JAG, did you guys do a steroid burst too? I'm sorry she is backsliding. I want to say it's from die off, but then how would you explain the initial improvement. I hate how much of this is a guessing game. It's just not right.

So for mycoplasma we should test both IgG and IgM...but like strep titers, the results may not tell the full story?

For treatment are most people finding 14 days of Biaxin is enough (and then switch back to Azith)...or are they doing more?

I'll add, not sure if it helps, that my non-PANDAS son was given 5 days of Zith, I was told to expect a cough up to 2 weeks after finishing it. He seems okay now. Also, "regular" non-PANDAS people could rid themselves of Myco P over a period of time without antibiotics. A lot of people never realize the have it, hence why it is called walking pneumonia. So, even if your daugher could have killed it off herself, she still has those pesky antibodies that need to lower over time and that quote above said the antibodies can remain elevated for a long time.

She has not done steroids; just about 3 weeks of 250mg zith and now 12 days biaxin xl. It could be due to her weight; I think the child's dose for biaxin xl for her weight should be 550mg and she's taking 500mg, but when it only comes in 500 mg increments...

It should not be so hard, but I consider us very lucky to even be pursuing this road since she is asymptomatic and it was a open-minded psychiatrist to point us in this direction... she couldn't treat her, but that's okay, we are grateful and can find the help she needs.