ACN Latitudes Forums

PROVACATION LYME TESTING

Hi ,

How is everyone testing for LYME....are you doing provacation as is suggested in all the LYME forums.

Thanks,

Madhu.

We never had to do that and most people I know didn't either. We just got the Igenex tests and we had antibodies. I think people do the provocation tests can be helpful when lyme is suspected but the patient tests negative. With lyme and the coinfections the tests can turn positive with treatment b/c the body is able to mount an immune response with the help of the anti-biotics.

lyme mom

Hi ,

How is everyone testing for LYME....are you doing provacation as is suggested in all the LYME forums.

Thanks,

Madhu.

We never had to do that and most people I know didn't either. We just got the Igenex tests and we had antibodies. I think people do the provocation tests can be helpful when lyme is suspected but the patient tests negative. With lyme and the coinfections the tests can turn positive with treatment b/c the body is able to mount an immune response with the help of the anti-biotics.

lyme mom

I came across something in a new lyme book I am reading that may interest many of you. Children who were born with Lyme Disease can take up to a year to turn positive (after treatment has begun). She discusses provocation testing. The book is Insights into Lyme Disease Treatment by Connie Strasheim. I just started the book and it looks like a great resource. It contains information from 13 lyme literate practitioners about how they treat lyme. The lyme literate practitioner who says that it can take a year for kids to turn positive is Susan Marra of Seattle who worked under Dr. Charles Ray Jones, the pediatric lyme expert we have discussed on this forum. This is something to keep in mind when you get your test results back. All the more reason to be evaluated by a lyme literate doctor b/c the tests are so unreliable.

Very interesting. Did you get the book at the library or purchase? Also, do you remember how much the IgeneX lab charged for the Lyme test? I don't see a charge on their site.

I came across something in a new lyme book I am reading that may interest many of you. Children who were born with Lyme Disease can take up to a year to turn positive (after treatment has begun). She discusses provocation testing. The book is Insights into Lyme Disease Treatment by Connie Strasheim. I just started the book and it looks like a great resource. It contains information from 13 lyme literate practitioners about how they treat lyme. The lyme literate practitioner who says that it can take a year for kids to turn positive is Susan Marra of Seattle who worked under Dr. Charles Ray Jones, the pediatric lyme expert we have discussed on this forum. This is something to keep in mind when you get your test results back. All the more reason to be evaluated by a lyme literate doctor b/c the tests are so unreliable.

Very interesting. Did you get the book at the library or purchase? Also, do you remember how much the IgeneX lab charged for the Lyme test? I don't see a charge on their site.

Its a new book so I bought it on Amazon for $35. The charge for Igenex tests 188 and 189 is 200 but you may have to pay a doctor a blood draw fee in addition to this so it ends up costing close to 300.

Do you think that the long term antibiotics some of our kids are on would actually aid in the positive result if it was going to take a year from treatment? Meaning maybe it would be negative till treatment but since our kids are on antibiotics maybe we would get a more accurate result?

Its a new book so I bought it on Amazon for $35. The charge for Igenex tests 188 and 189 is 200 but you may have to pay a doctor a blood draw fee in addition to this so it ends up costing close to 300.

Do you think that the long term antibiotics some of our kids are on would actually aid in the positive result if it was going to take a year from treatment? Meaning maybe it would be negative till treatment but since our kids are on antibiotics maybe we would get a more accurate result?

You would think it would help but I really don't know.

Thank you for the info. We went to the lab yesterday to have blood drawn for the western blot lyme test. We will probably do the IgeneX too but for now we will go with this one since we were drawing blood anyway. The dr ordered the western blot but the lab was refusing to do it. They said their "procedure" was to wait for a positive on the first lyme test before doing the western blot. My dr had to call the director of the lab to request that it be done. Apparently the lab makes an exception when the blood is drawn in the dr's office (they have a lab onsite) but since we went to an offsite branch they were going by other guidelines. So here we have different "rules" within the same company. After that experience, I started reading the book "Cure Unknown". Wow.

Thank you for the info. We went to the lab yesterday to have blood drawn for the western blot lyme test. We will probably do the IgeneX too but for now we will go with this one since we were drawing blood anyway. The dr ordered the western blot but the lab was refusing to do it. They said their "procedure" was to wait for a positive on the first lyme test before doing the western blot. My dr had to call the director of the lab to request that it be done. Apparently the lab makes an exception when the blood is drawn in the dr's office (they have a lab onsite) but since we went to an offsite branch they were going by other guidelines. So here we have different "rules" within the same company. After that experience, I started reading the book "Cure Unknown". Wow.

That's awful but I am not surprised. You will love that book. Pamela Weintraub has some expression like being in the "lyme lands" which is very apt. When you mention lyme some practitioners would rather diagnose the plague than test for or treat lyme. Makes no sense at all. This reliance on the screening test is crazy b/c you want to nip it in the bud, not wait until the Lyme Disease is in full bloom in the body. The screening tests were designed for reporting cases of lyme to the cdc, not diagnosis of patients.