ACN Latitudes Forums

Will IVIG help gut issues like crohn's or IBS

Hi,

Does anyone have gut issues resolved with IVIG?

We are considering IVIG for our kids this summer( hoping insuranse will cover) and would like to know if it will help my older kid's gut issues.

Right now the gastro is testing him to see for IBD. I have not done the ABX for him only because of his gut.

Thanks,

Madhu.

What are your son's gastro issues?

I only ask, because the start of my daughter's pandas was abdominal pain. She had no other physical symptoms of gastro issues (she was regular, normal stool, etc.) The gastro thought it might be IBS (we did lots of tests with him). It turned out to be pandas/anxiety and resolved with antibiotics. This of course is not the case for all.

Hi,

We are considering IVIG for our kids this summer( hoping insuranse will cover) and would like to know if it will help my older kid's gut issues.

Right now the gastro is testing him to see for IBD. I have not done the ABX for him only because of his gut.

Thanks,

Madhu.

My dd had complete resolution of gut issues with IVIG. Good luck to you!!!

Hi,

Thanks,

Madhu.

There's surprisingly little on this. More "sophisitcated" immunosuppresants like infliximab (anti-CD antigen monoclonal antibodies) are now being used in Crohn's.

However, when it was tried years ago, it probably worked

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3490055

I know what you are going to be thinking - why don't we try something like infliximab in PANDAS? - maybe we will one day, but these are pretty dangerous drugs that I would use with trepidation.

Dr. T

Hi,

Thanks,

Madhu.

There's surprisingly little on this. More "sophisitcated" immunosuppresants like infliximab (anti-CD antigen monoclonal antibodies) are now being used in Crohn's.

However, when it was tried years ago, it probably worked

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3490055

I know what you are going to be thinking - why don't we try something like infliximab in PANDAS? - maybe we will one day, but these are pretty dangerous drugs that I would use with trepidation.

Dr. T

P.S. Infliximab may be better know to some of you as Remicade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infliximab

Now TNF-alpha may be very important in PANDAS .... that's what TLR over-activation is very good at generating ...

but it costs $20,000 per year!

So it could be Murphy's Law (or a corollary thereof) again:

the only truly effective therapies are prohibitively expensive to those who need them!

Dr. T

Thank you all for your replies. I am hoping it will help my son's gut issues.

Please let me know if any other therapy helped your kids gut issues.

DCMOM: My sons gut issues also started after he started TICCING at 4 yeats of age. It first started slowly as stomach pain, diarrhia now and then, slowly it developed now as frequent bowel movements every day. He goes the bathroon as soon as he eats. the stools are also not formed. The doctors dismissed these isuues as IBS. But I want to rule out IBD hence I am seeing a new gastro who is willing to rule that out or find what is going on. By the way he is underweight. He is 10 1/2 and is only 56 pounds. He is the smallest in his class.

Also my younger son started TICCING last year 3 weeks after a strep infection which directed me to PANDAS diagnosis. He is also complaing of stomach pain now.

thanks,

Madhu.

DCMOM: My sons gut issues also started after he started TICCING at 4 yeats of age. It first started slowly as stomach pain, diarrhia now and then, slowly it developed now as frequent bowel movements every day. He goes the bathroon as soon as he eats. the stools are also not formed. The doctors dismissed these isuues as IBS. But I want to rule out IBD hence I am seeing a new gastro who is willing to rule that out or find what is going on. By the way he is underweight. He is 10 1/2 and is only 56 pounds. He is the smallest in his class.

Also my younger son started TICCING last year 3 weeks after a strep infection which directed me to PANDAS diagnosis. He is also complaing of stomach pain now.

thanks,

Madhu.

We had a similar experience. When our son was 4 1/2 (now 11 years old), he started having frequent bowel movements that turned into bowel accidents. This was about the same time we saw OCD symptoms, but did not know anything about PANDAS. Stools were not formed and the accidents would come right after he ate. He also complained of stomach aches. Pediatrician thought lactose intolerance, but after removing all dairy he started having accidents after other foods like apples or turkey. It didn't make sense. After numerous doctors, we ended up at a naturopath who diagnosed him with leaky guy and candida. Candida was diagnosed after test of stool sample. We treated him for candida using natural supplements, cave man diet and rotation diet. Bowels improved and accidents stopped very soon after starting rotation diet, but it can take a long time to heal from candida and leaky gut - took us 2 years, but I think that is on the long side. Since so much of the immune system is part of the digestive system, I feel it has to somehow be related to PANDAS. Also, it was suggested that the food sensitivities were the result of leaky guy/blood brain barrier/etc. So, somewhere I feel there must be a connection, but I can't find anyone that an connect the dots for yet. I guess I am just tossing out the possibility of candida and leaky gut for the cause of bowl issues.