ACN Latitudes Forums

How soon do you see improvement on Azith?

I started my 7 year old on Azithro for 14 days and plan to retest his high ASO level after that. If there are improvements on abx, how soon do you see it? What starts to improve? Not sure if I'm imagining, but his focus seems better (actually sat down and wrote a sentence on his own) but his TS is horrible. Andrea

Everyone's different, but we saw some minor improvements within 3 days. For us it was a reduction in fear of robbers, less checking, less agitation, and some moments of improved mood (happy hyper, as I called it). I'd recommend keeping track of any behavior/tic changes you see - most experience a "sawtooth" pattern of recovery. I took copious notes for months, but recently discovered Buster's charting system, which is much easier.

You can find it here:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...ic=6685&hl=

If your son has tics with this don't be surprised if it takes much longer. Tics are stubborn. At least they have been with us. It took 2 to 3 months of zith to get back to nearly 0 tics. Then unfortunately my son got H1N1. And now the recovery is better but also slower. He is also in the middle of puberty so the hormones may be making it a little harder. Kathy(lis'mom)

My son has been on Azith for 4 days now and we are noticing positive changes. He is calmer, much more focused, had a conversation with me, opened up a book on his own and read 2 sentences, wrote a short sentence, and kissed his father on his 40th birthday. What a b-day gift!

I'm holding it together (don't want to get my hopes up) but I'm ready to explode with joy. The tics are still there but everything else seems a bit better. If he continues down this path, what do I do next? What does this mean? Does this really mean he has PANDAS or some other form of autoimmune disorder exasberating his disabilities? I can't believe this is happening. I'm soooooooooooooo excited! Andrea

This is great news! Is he taking 250mg of Azithromycin a day? What does he weigh?

In terms of what it means, it may mean the antibiotics are starting to kill off an infection, and his body has been having an autoimmune response to the infection. Also, Azith is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties, so this may be part of what's happening - a reduction in inflammation in his brain. This response is definitely supportive of PANDAS as the cause of some or all of his symptoms.

As a next step, I'd recommend setting up a phone consult with one of the PANDAS experts - Dr. Kovacevic or Dr. Trifiletti. They can help you get closer to a definitive diagnosis and create a treatment plan. As I mentioned, there really aren't any in N. California.

I'm really happy for you Andrea! I hope things keep improving.

My son has been on Azith for 4 days now and we are noticing positive changes. He is calmer, much more focused, had a conversation with me, opened up a book on his own and read 2 sentences, wrote a short sentence, and kissed his father on his 40th birthday. What a b-day gift!

I'm holding it together (don't want to get my hopes up) but I'm ready to explode with joy. The tics are still there but everything else seems a bit better. If he continues down this path, what do I do next? What does this mean? Does this really mean he has PANDAS or some other form of autoimmune disorder exasberating his disabilities? I can't believe this is happening. I'm soooooooooooooo excited! Andrea

This is great news! Is he taking 250mg of Azithromycin a day? What does he weigh?

In terms of what it means, it may mean the antibiotics are starting to kill off an infection, and his body has been having an autoimmune response to the infection. Also, Azith is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties, so this may be part of what's happening - a reduction in inflammation in his brain. This response is definitely supportive of PANDAS as the cause of some or all of his symptoms.

As a next step, I'd recommend setting up a phone consult with one of the PANDAS experts - Dr. Kovacevic or Dr. Trifiletti. They can help you get closer to a definitive diagnosis and create a treatment plan. As I mentioned, there really aren't any in N. California.

I'm really happy for you Andrea! I hope things keep improving.

He was given only 200mg/5ml and he only takes 3.5ml/day. Seems a bit low. He weighs about 58lbs. Which doctor would you recommend if I were to call one of them? Someone who is patient, thourough and can tell me what to do next. Andrea