ACN Latitudes Forums

molluscum contagiosum

Just wondering if anyone has had a run-in with this virus. My daughter had this as a 1 year old, and, of course, though not uncommon in children, this virus is linked to a weakened immune system.

Also, could this have been the base for the start of her illness? Was her immune system compromised even then, and did this illness (virus - no course of antibiotics given) begin to steer her antibodies off course at such a young age? Our "waking moment" didn't come until she was 4, when she wouldn't leave the bathroom for more than 10-15 minutes at a time, and if she wasn't "peeing" it's pretty much all she talked about.. That was when we knew (after testing extensively for bladder problems, etc and finding nothing) that we were dealing with something bigger than our daughter. But she definitely displayed OCD like symptoms as early as 2, and always had night terrors and separation anxiety.. just not huge issues until around age 4. Also, for the record, she did have several strep infections and had her tonsils out last year. So, not to change course at all on the PANDAS theory - just wondering if this may add something.

I'd love to know how many other children in this category subsequently had the molluscum virus.

Thanks!!

Just wondering if anyone has had a run-in with this virus. My daughter had this as a 1 year old, and, of course, though not uncommon in children, this virus is linked to a weakened immune system.

Also, could this have been the base for the start of her illness? Was her immune system compromised even then, and did this illness (virus - no course of antibiotics given) begin to steer her antibodies off course at such a young age? Our "waking moment" didn't come until she was 4, when she wouldn't leave the bathroom for more than 10-15 minutes at a time, and if she wasn't "peeing" it's pretty much all she talked about.. That was when we knew (after testing extensively for bladder problems, etc and finding nothing) that we were dealing with something bigger than our daughter. But she definitely displayed OCD like symptoms as early as 2, and always had night terrors and separation anxiety.. just not huge issues until around age 4. Also, for the record, she did have several strep infections and had her tonsils out last year. So, not to change course at all on the PANDAS theory - just wondering if this may add something.

I'd love to know how many other children in this category subsequently had the molluscum virus.

Thanks!!

My PANDAS ds did have it, but so did his brother who is healthy as can be :huh:

They each started with just a few and pretty soon the had more than 20 warts each! The pediatrician recommended that freeze-off stuff. We tried that and they totally freaked out with the first wart, so we were not going to try that on 20 of them! A friend recommended duct tape. We did it for a week (there is something in it that irritates the wart enough to cause the body to fight off the virus) and sort of forgot about it (the tape kept coming off!). But then the following week, they were all gone, just like that!

You can google it and get specific instructions, for $3 worth of duct tape, you can have an effective and painless treatment!

(Just try it on one first, a friend of mine did it an her child turned out to be allergic to the tape, yikes!)

Thanks!!

Hi, My non-Pandas daughter had molluscum. I had no idea it was a sign of a weakened immune system. She was taking a swimming class and I had heard that it spreads like wildfire in those situations.

My son, who I believe has PANDAS has never had it. However, I can identify with the urination. We have just gone through the entire battery of tests for his bladder issues. At one point they thought he was having kidney failure, but he wasn't. He goes every 2 minutes- most of the time nothing comes out. Did that ever go away for your daughter?

I have heard that Molluscum is a virus and will it eventually leave the system. My daughter had about 40 warts on the backs of her legs. It took several months for them all to disappear. Luckily she was only 3, so there was no problem with self esteem.

Thanks!!

My PANDAS ds did have it, but so did his brother who is healthy as can be :huh:

They each started with just a few and pretty soon the had more than 20 warts each! The pediatrician recommended that freeze-off stuff. We tried that and they totally freaked out with the first wart, so we were not going to try that on 20 of them! A friend recommended duct tape. We did it for a week (there is something in it that irritates the wart enough to cause the body to fight off the virus) and sort of forgot about it (the tape kept coming off!). But then the following week, they were all gone, just like that!

You can google it and get specific instructions, for $3 worth of duct tape, you can have an effective and painless treatment!

(Just try it on one first, a friend of mine did it an her child turned out to be allergic to the tape, yikes!)

Both my pandas girls had it and had a heck of a time getting rid of it. DD8 had it so bad in combination with other kinds of skin issues and undiagnosed strep. It lasted 7 months and it was really damaging to her since they were on her inner thigh They cleared up completely when she went on antibiotics and also went gluten free. I've always wondered if something else was going on. My dd7 has it now and it's not a bad case but they just keep coming one at a time.

Susan

Thanks!!

Hi, My non-Pandas daughter had molluscum. I had no idea it was a sign of a weakened immune system. She was taking a swimming class and I had heard that it spreads like wildfire in those situations.

My son, who I believe has PANDAS has never had it. However, I can identify with the urination. We have just gone through the entire battery of tests for his bladder issues. At one point they thought he was having kidney failure, but he wasn't. He goes every 2 minutes- most of the time nothing comes out. Did that ever go away for your daughter?

I think molluscum can occur on any child - it's just the ones with weakened immune systems are more prone.. Yes, the frequent urination did go away, though, whenever she is sick, her urge to "pee" and the frustration comes back.. but it doesn't last. I have heard that there could be a localized strep infection causing the pressure, or that there is an over-release of a chemical in the brain (can't remember which one!) causing the sensation to pee. I think it may be a mixture of the two - but it's maddening, isn't it? I hope it goes away for him soon. Is he on any meds currently?

Both my pandas girls had it and had a heck of a time getting rid of it. DD8 had it so bad in combination with other kinds of skin issues and undiagnosed strep. It lasted 7 months and it was really damaging to her since they were on her inner thigh They cleared up completely when she went on antibiotics and also went gluten free. I've always wondered if something else was going on. My dd7 has it now and it's not a bad case but they just keep coming one at a time.

Susan

My daughter's weren't severe when she had them, but there were maybe 7 on her face, and some on her neck - but they really lasted a long time - over a year, I think! Although I hear these are a common occurrence, I had NEVER heard of them, nor did any of my nieces or nephews ever have them.. It's interesting, don't you think?

Good luck with both your girls!!

My son had them, starting at age one, and they lasted for well over a year.

I was told it was nothing and they'd go away on their own. But in hindsight it was the first sign of something wrong.

In fact I think I posted with this same question a year ago.

I have no doubt it's related to the PANDAS. In fact I keep a close eye on my toddler. If I see molluscum, I will brace myself.

My son had molluscum contagiosum. Started at 4-1/2 during the period he took swimming lessons. For months there were only 3 or 4 on his side, then there was a sudden explosion of close to 40 on his back. We had them "frozen" off last August to keep them from spreading. Onset of PANDAS in November....

• 8 months later...

Very interesting! My PANDAS daughter had molluscum first at around age 1....then my other dd (not pandas) had it so bad that she had over 120 warts on just one of her little arms. we went to see a dermatologist who referred us to a pediatric dermatologist at Duke. The gave us a prescription for Aldera, and within weeks they were all gone. Another dd got it but mildly, and then my ds age 2 at the time got it really bad too, at least 50 on his stomach. We used aldera again......went away, but he still has the scars. I worried about the immune system with my dd that had so many, because the dr said her body wouldn't recognize it or fight it, and that's why she had so many. He didnt' seemed concerned about it......but now I wonder! Good question! Just wanted to tell my molluscum story too.....all 4 kids had it at different times.....all 4 kids also get strep without typical symptoms too.... :mellow:

My 4 year old dd currently has molluscum. She has about 15 bumps under her arm (mostly in her armpit) and a few on the back of her neck. I took her to the doctor when she still only had a couple and the dr tried freezing the biggest bump. It did eventually fall off, but by then there were many other small ones. I tried tea tree oil for a few weeks and my feeling was that it helped keep the bumps from getting out of control, but it was a losing battle. DD hated the tea tree mostly because it tickled when i applied it with a q-tip to her armpit. Other than that it didn't cause a rash or any other side effects. We have stopped using it though. One of her friends had it (might be where she caught it) and the dermatologist eventually used cantharone (blistering agent) on it and that cleared them up. I think we will probably have to see the derm pretty soon as well.

My DS has them. He started a year ago with just ONE on his belly. Finally after nearly a year that one spot vanished, but left a really large crater in his belly. Then suddenly, nearly overnight, about 40 popped up. We just went to the dermatologist last week and he did the freeze thing. It was only bad that night when we had to wipe it off (the skin comes off with it). He was very freaked off, but overall not too bad and he is willing to go get the others done the same way.

My son had warts on the lower half of his face. The dermatologist said that they would eventually go away once his body figured out how to fight the virus, and they did so after a few years. These occurred during the period when his (what we now know were) Pandas symptoms started and we were so overwhelmed by those problems that we never really worried too much about the warts. I do wonder if these secondary infections occur because our kids' immune systems are so overtaxed.