kcdc3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixit,

It's not something that you would want to keep around -

they think its going to be a big health problem here too.

I met a lady once in the health food shop who had been ill for years, the drs put it down to depression and attention seeking. She went to France for a holiday and became very sick. They found Lyme and after alot of treatment she said she's getting better.

There's a Dr here who is doing research on the best type of treatment. It makes you wonder how many people are on pills because the Drs cannot find a cause and all along it could be down to one little bug!

Fixit,

I'm short on time right now, but wanted to post that since you have removed ticks from your son, you absolutely positively must have testing/evaluation done by a knowledgeable doctor. Ticks carry all sorts of infectious disease -- lyme, mycoplasma, bartonella, babesia and others. Contrary to popular belief, a ring rash is only present a small percentage of the time. A person may show symptoms immediately, or much later. Especially when later triggered by an illness (including strep). All these diseases have the potential to cause the symptoms you have listed.

Testing is so tricky and inconclusive, that's why it's important to be clinically evaluated by a knowledgeable doctor.

Please go to the following lyme message board I have linked here, click on "seeking a doctor" and post a short message with the geographic region you are searching for (most people post by state), and you will get a reply with suggestions for doctors in your area.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi

I don't want to hijack this thread with lyme discussion... if you have more questions you can post a new message or pm me.

Good luck.

so not surprised son came up negative on lyme blood test per labcorp

you would suggest igenex over a western blot?

also son starte clarithoymichn today is his 5th dose

can i still check for this, would it be worth it?

Absolutely! They lyme docs do this all the time. Sometimes when a person is weakened by lyme they will not produce antibodies to lyme. Going on antibiotics will sometimes help them get a positive result b/c the immune system can mount a defense.

QUOTE(PacificMama @ Feb 28 2010, 09:02 PM)

Tomorrow time permitting I will attempt to gather cites for steroid use in myco. In the meantime, this is a recent article about mycoplasma that is fascinating and one of the best I’ve seen. It is an interview with Dr. Garth Nicolson who is the person who made the connection of mycoplasma to gulf war syndrome – as he himself suffered from myco. It has lab/testing recommendations, and treatment suggestions. (while the article title relates myco to coinfection of lyme, the article itself is really just about myco). Again, it’s highly recommended.

http://www.immed.org/infectious%20disease%..._0709_v4.07.pdf

Peace.

This is an interesting article, and am glad to see the part on there about waiting at least 2 hours before taking the pro-biotic (I did not know that!). I did notice, however, that this article is focusing primarily on Mycoplasma F, which tends to be the co-infector with Lyme. My dd has the Mycoplasma P....I think it is a totally different strain and tends to be what a lot of the PANDAS patients are presenting with that possibly do not have the strep connection.

--------------------------

Yes, the article focuses on myco f, but does discuss both f and p -- and both are indicated in causing neuropsych symptoms. Myco is very fascinating, and I'm sure we will continue to hear more about it. The good news for you is that myco p seems to be more readily treatable than myco f. Glad you found out about 2 hour rule with taking probiotics and abx... so important to not cancel each other out!

Also there are probiotic pearls that are slow release that can be taken when you take antibiotics. I get them from my lyme doctor and they do not sell them in Whole foods or other stores. We take four a day and we have not had any issues with the gut in two years of antibiotics so they definitely work. The brand is therapeutics.

Fixit,

It's not something that you would want to keep around -

they think its going to be a big health problem here too.

I met a lady once in the health food shop who had been ill for years, the drs put it down to depression and attention seeking. She went to France for a holiday and became very sick. They found Lyme and after alot of treatment she said she's getting better.

There's a Dr here who is doing research on the best type of treatment. It makes you wonder how many people are on pills because the Drs cannot find a cause and all along it could be down to one little bug!

So true!

Hi

We don't really treat Lyme in the UK, but some of the Drs here feel its a silent horrible condition that is rising fast. They don't have the tests in main hospitals that can pick up the unusual. I do see a big link that our children suffer with the unusual. It's a pity that we cannot get them tested for every related infection etc that all the parents are coming across.

The UK now treat Lyme with IV abx and they still state it's hard to treat. Some of the private hospitals run a range of different tests as it can be so often missed here. Our Dan dr did say left untreated it could cause neuro symptoms in children.

If anyone wants to know what the private tests are please let me know.

Furthermore, a number of studies have revealed that as many as 50% of Borreliosis cases, confirmed by Borrelial DNA or Borrelial culture, were reported as negative when tested using the CDC's recommendations. In an interlaboratory comparison study of tests for the detection of B. Burgdorferi, by the College of American Pathologists, it was concluded that "these tests will not be useful as a screening test until their sensitivities are improved".

It should be noted that a few patients may have infection without the presence of antibodies (seronegative), and this is often because of early antibiotic treatment or other medications, such as steroids. The serodiagnosis of late disease requires good specific clinical histories, and with some patients there may need to be a trial of treatment.

Western blot ( immunoblot), ELISA (Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay) and PCR (polymerase chain reaction) can be performed on blood or cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which is obtained via a lumbar puncture. However, in addition to the limitations of testing described above, antigen capture in CSF can be extremely elusive; reportedly CSF yields positive results in only 10-30% of patients cultured. Therefore, the diagnosis of neurologic borrelial infection should not be excluded solely on the basis of a negative CSF antibody analysis.

You are absolutely right about this.