ACN Latitudes Forums

Snow People do you see increase in symptoms?

melanie

Dannys ticccccing alot today Md says its the weather ,Humm I looked at the last storm(we seem to be having alot of them in NJ)and low and behold another off day.Anyone else notice this >She did say something about their barometers?

Meelanie

We see a mood change with overcast days. I don't know if it's the pressure, though, because when I was a kid and more symptomatic I used light therapy successfully when we had overcast periods (not unusual on the east coast.)

Dannys ticccccing alot today Md says its the weather ,Humm I looked at the last storm(we seem to be having alot of them in NJ)and low and behold another off day.Anyone else notice this >She did say something about their barometers?

Meelanie

no, don't think so, its as usual.

how are his other symptoms or issues?

Actually hes definitly off .Im not happy ,He was great then boom not great.Hoping this is temporary.

Melanie

no, don't think so, its as usual.

how are his other symptoms or issues?

Actually hes definitly off .Im not happy ,He was great then boom not great.Hoping this is temporary.

Melanie

Meelanie

Nope, no issues with weather. Allergies in spring and fall but those don't bring out pandas symptoms for my dd.

Meelanie

I haven't noticed a correlation between weather and tics or moods. I don't think there is one for my son, Myles, but I'm going to keep an eye out for that since around here March goes from warm to big snow storms back to warm quite a bit.

We've wondered if Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) either plays a part in, or is "inspired" by, DS12's other symptoms and behavior. When initially dxed with OCD, we thought we were seeing a "pattern" of sorts in the waxing and waning that was seasonal. Now I wonder if it is just because he was inside more hours of every day and therefore "trapped" with triggers and re-exposures to strep!

Nonetheless, knowing that I get bummed out after day after day of gloomy weather, we purchased a full-spectrum "Happy Light" from Verilux and installed it in DS's room. So, in the morning, especially school mornings when -- even on sunny days -- he's rising before the sun is even really up, we turn the light on and it bathes his room in a very nice white light. Also, the instructions suggest that you give yourself 10-15 minutes with your face basically "in" the light -- 6-10 inches away -- close your eyes, and just take in the light. So, up until this year (he hasn't seemed to need it so much), we would hold the light box in front of his face as he was waking up and sing a couple of verses of "You Are My Sunshine" while he got his "sunshine treatment."

Nothing quantitative to say that it actually benefitted him, but it definitely didn't hurt!

We've wondered if Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) either plays a part in, or is "inspired" by, DS12's other symptoms and behavior. When initially dxed with OCD, we thought we were seeing a "pattern" of sorts in the waxing and waning that was seasonal. Now I wonder if it is just because he was inside more hours of every day and therefore "trapped" with triggers and re-exposures to strep!

Nonetheless, knowing that I get bummed out after day after day of gloomy weather, we purchased a full-spectrum "Happy Light" from Verilux and installed it in DS's room. So, in the morning, especially school mornings when -- even on sunny days -- he's rising before the sun is even really up, we turn the light on and it bathes his room in a very nice white light. Also, the instructions suggest that you give yourself 10-15 minutes with your face basically "in" the light -- 6-10 inches away -- close your eyes, and just take in the light. So, up until this year (he hasn't seemed to need it so much), we would hold the light box in front of his face as he was waking up and sing a couple of verses of "You Are My Sunshine" while he got his "sunshine treatment."

Nothing quantitative to say that it actually benefitted him, but it definitely didn't hurt!

We've noticed the same pattern and I'm wondering the exact same thing. Since we tried Zoloft assuming it was a day light/seratonin issue, like SAD, and it didn't change anything, now I'm left wondering about strep and allergies.

Good point. We are definitely outdoorsy people who are out and about (and for me, exercising) in the nice weather and holed up indoors in the poor weather, so it could be related to our behavior rather than the weather per se. Nevertheless, the lights, I have found, do improve mood.