ACN Latitudes Forums

Cyclical Vomiting

Just wanted to share something interesting with you all. When we saw Dr. T last week he mentioned sometihng about a PANDAS patient of his that presented with the symptom of cyclical vomiting. She would get dizzy several times a month and throw up.

Both my husband and I were shocked to hear this as this has been my life since I was a little girl. I have always called it my "inner ear thing" for lack of a better discription. Had every kind of test I could think of and they never found anything worng.

What if I have had PANDAS all along. Would make sense from a genetic point of view. Going to get some blood work done to see if I can uncover anything. Will keep you posted.

Anybody's kids throw up on a regular basis?

Kari

Just wanted to share something interesting with you all. When we saw Dr. T last week he mentioned sometihng about a PANDAS patient of his that presented with the symptom of cyclical vomiting. She would get dizzy several times a month and throw up.

Both my husband and I were shocked to hear this as this has been my life since I was a little girl. I have always called it my "inner ear thing" for lack of a better discription. Had every kind of test I could think of and they never found anything worng.

What if I have had PANDAS all along. Would make sense from a genetic point of view. Going to get some blood work done to see if I can uncover anything. Will keep you posted.

Kari

Mine did for several years. I am just realizing this is another piece of the PANDAS puzzle. Now that I think about it, it began the same time his other symptoms did as well.

We finally concluded it was a stomach migraine. So many other people have mentioned their kids have cyclical heachaches and others mention their kids have floaters, all signs of migraine. It seems migraines are another thing that goes with PANDAS.

He'd get dizzy, tell me his tummy hurt, about an hour later he'd say his head was starting to hurt, he would be totally green, then he'd puke, feel better and fall asleep. It really only ever happened at night and tended to be on the weekends. We finally figured, after I did some charting, that it happened after eating something like salami (nitrates), which he was eating on Friday afternoons at his grandmas house, or if he'd played a ton of video games or if he saw a high action movie, like Transformers. Usually, if I catch it quick enough and give him Ibuprofen it helps. My doctor also told me that Benadryl helps, so if the Ibuprofen doesn't knock it out in about half an hour I add a dose of Benadryl and send him to bed. Seemed to help sometimes, but I always knew once he threw up he'd feel fine. Since magnesium really helps migraines as well as tics I started giving him 500 mg day in October. Since then it has only happened once, after he went to see Avatar in 3D. That time I gave him Ibuprofen and he took an epsom salts bath with rosemary and lavendar essentials oils. That worked really well.

Kari

i wouldn't say my son threw up on a regular or cyclical basis - however, he would throw up at the drop of a hat. he'd also occasionally run a fever. then he'd get over it in a day or so and move on. i always thought it was just how his body dealt with whatever he'd been exposed to.

he did have confirmed strep at 22 months. i now believe - although there is no way to know - that he never really kicked that strep and had latent strep that reared it's head at times either by itself or in relation to some other infection and that's why he threw up and had fevers. i don't remember if he had that pattern before that strep. at 36 months, we were having difficulty potty training, he was holding urine. he threw up one morning, i took him in to be checked out. she thought his throat looked like strep. he was negative on the rapid and culture. i think it's got to be related.

we discovered pandas last dec/jan, he was abx last feb and again in april/may. the last time he randomly threw up was once in july, was sick for a morning and better by the afternoon.

My son was officially diagnosed with cyclical vomiting when he was 3. He actually started the vomiting as an infant. I have not been able to connect it with PANDAS. He was 4 when he had what I think was his first PANDAS episode. At 4.5 after 9 weeks cycle that wouldn't break, we started him on L-Carnitine and Natural CoQ10 (not the synthetic form commonly sold) and it has basically kept the cyclical vomiting under control. (Both meds are used to treat mitochondrial disorders which they think Cyclical Vomiting may be related to.)

When he had a cycle his GI tract would basically shut down. He would just bloat and bloat for hours and then everything would come up undigested. He would have to be in the hospital on IV's for a week until it ran it's course. After he was diagnosed we had some luck aborting cycles with very high doses of Zofran.

Usually CVS (Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome) is associated with a family history of migraines. Not so in our case except my older non pandas daughter gets bad migraines. CVS is another medical problem I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

My son was officially diagnosed with cyclical vomiting when he was 3. He actually started the vomiting as an infant. I have not been able to connect it with PANDAS. He was 4 when he had what I think was his first PANDAS episode. At 4.5 after 9 weeks cycle that wouldn't break, we started him on L-Carnitine and Natural CoQ10 (not the synthetic form commonly sold) and it has basically kept the cyclical vomiting under control. (Both meds are used to treat mitochondrial disorders which they think Cyclical Vomiting may be related to.)

When he had a cycle his GI tract would basically shut down. He would just bloat and bloat for hours and then everything would come up undigested. He would have to be in the hospital on IV's for a week until it ran it's course. After he was diagnosed we had some luck aborting cycles with very high doses of Zofran.

Usually CVS (Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome) is associated with a family history of migraines. Not so in our case except my older non pandas daughter gets bad migraines. CVS is another medical problem I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

wow. there is actually a name for this. it looked it up and it completely describes what used to happen all the time for about 2 years. i'm glad i trusted my hunch that is was related to migraines and found his triggers. the magnesium seemed to make it it a lot better. he's only had one episode in 6 months. for a while last summer it was happening a couple of times a month. luckily his episodes never lasted long. the things i've learned from this board!