ACN Latitudes Forums

DSM-5

If we want to suggest PANDAS being added, what catagory do you think it should fall under?

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

Publication of the fifth edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) in May 2013 will mark one the most anticipated events in the mental health field. As part of the development process, the preliminary draft revisions to the current diagnostic criteria for psychiatric diagnoses are now available for public review and comment. We thank you for your interest in DSM-5 and hope that you use this opportunity not only to learn more about the proposed changes in DSM-5, but also about its history, its impact, and its developers. Please continue to check this site for updates to criteria and for more information about the development process.

Do we really want PANDAS identified as a "mental disorder"? As opposed to an auto-immune of infections disease disorder? :huh:

Or is it just a part of getting the disorder under more professionals' noses, period, so listing it somewhere that mental health professionals (psychologists and psychiatrists) are more likely to come across it might be of help?

If we want to suggest PANDAS being added, what catagory do you think it should fall under?

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

Publication of the fifth edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) in May 2013 will mark one the most anticipated events in the mental health field. As part of the development process, the preliminary draft revisions to the current diagnostic criteria for psychiatric diagnoses are now available for public review and comment. We thank you for your interest in DSM-5 and hope that you use this opportunity not only to learn more about the proposed changes in DSM-5, but also about its history, its impact, and its developers. Please continue to check this site for updates to criteria and for more information about the development process.

This was sent to me in a link from Medscape at my work email last week. When I looked at it closer I noticed Susan Swedo is on the task force. Did you see that? I'll bet she is working on it; but the more noise from friends and families affected by PANDAS the better I say!! :huh:

Well, even things like phonological disorders (my son has) falls within the DSM book. It's not a mental disorder. There was a section marked something like mental disorder caused by medical condition. I tried clicking on them to get more of a description but nothing was there. I suppose I'd have to refer to the DSM IV book to get a feeling for that catagory.PANDAS is like a temporary mental disorder caused by a med condition (autoimmune). If it had a catagory in that book, it would also force psychiatrists and psychologists to acknowledge PANDAS.

I was looking at it this way, we can at least get a code for diagnosing PANDAS. That may help with insurance too.

I didn't see the Swedo name. I'll have to browse around the site more. I just thought it was neat they were actaully asking for input. Granted, suggestions may not be used, but it's a start.

I looked at the site again very quickly. Now I'm not sure if PANDAS would fall in that catagory. It's actually titled "Mental Disorders Due to a General Medical Condition Not Elsewhere Classified" . I think that may be if you don't know the reason for the disorder surfacing. However, there is this catagory "Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence ". I would like that better than falling in the anxiety disorder catagory like OCD does. It does have the clause usually first dx in childhood which leaves it open for teens and adults as well.

Well, even things like phonological disorders (my son has) falls within the DSM book. It's not a mental disorder. There was a section marked something like mental disorder caused by medical condition. I tried clicking on them to get more of a description but nothing was there. I suppose I'd have to refer to the DSM IV book to get a feeling for that catagory.PANDAS is like a temporary mental disorder caused by a med condition (autoimmune). If it had a catagory in that book, it would also force psychiatrists and psychologists to acknowledge PANDAS.

I was looking at it this way, we can at least get a code for diagnosing PANDAS. That may help with insurance too.

I didn't see the Swedo name. I'll have to browse around the site more. I just thought it was neat they were actaully asking for input. Granted, suggestions may not be used, but it's a start.

Click on the tab "meet us" and then click on "task force members" Swedo's name is on the task force list.

I just took a look at the site and found that the task force is divided into Study Groups and Work Groups. Susan Swedo is chairing the Neurodevelopmental Disorders Work Group (see below). She is also chairing the Lifespan Developmental Approaches Study Group (see description below).

Work Groups

ADHD and Disruptive Behavior Disorders

Anxiety, Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum, Posttraumatic, and Dissociative Disorders

Childhood and Adolescent Disorders

Eating Disorders

Mood Disorders

Neurocognitive Disorders

Neurodevelopmental Disorders

Personality and Personality Disorders

Psychotic Disorders

Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders

Sleep-Wake Disorders

Somatic Symptoms Disorders

Substance-Related Disorders

Disorders of study for the Neurodevelopmental Disorders Work Group are:

299.80 Asperger's Disorder

299.00 Autistic Disorder

299.10 Childhood Disintegrative Disorder

307.9 Communication Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

315.4 Developmental Coordination Disorder

315.2 Disorder of Written Expression

315.31 Expressive Language Disorder

Learning Disabilities

315.9 Learning Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

315.1 Mathematics Disorder

Mental Retardation

319 Mental Retardation, Severity Unspecified

315.32 Mixed Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder

299.80 Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

315.39 Phonological Disorder

315.00 Reading Disorder

299.80 Rett's Disorder

307.0 Stuttering

The Lifespan Developmental Approaches Study Group is chaired by Susan K. Schultz, M.D. The study group is focused on helping work groups understand how age and development impact psychiatric diagnosis and symptoms of mental illnesses. This includes factors such as the age at which disorders first occur, how symptoms and diagnoses may change across the lifespan, and how disorders may evolve into new disorders over the lifespan. While the Child and Adolescent Disorders Work Group is focused primarily on examining issues in infancy, childhood, and adolescence, this study group is focused on the full lifespan including adult and geriatric populations. For all disorders, they seek to refine the content in DSM to better reflect lifespan issues and their effect on clinical expression. For a conceptual overview of developmental issues in DSM-5, please see the paper by Pine et al. (in: Evolution of the DSM-V Conceptual Framework: Development, Dimensions, Disability, Spectra, and Gender/Culture; in press). The members of the Lifespan Developmental Approaches Study Group are listed below.