ACN Latitudes Forums

Just Curious - wonder if there is a trend

kcdc3

Just wondering if there is any trend in the birthing history of any of our PANDAS kids. Any of you experience pre-term labor that required the use of Terbutaline to stop contractions or the use of a steroid to speed lung devlopment? I had to take both when pregnant with my PANDAS dd. Pre-term labor started at 20 weeks.

PANDAS son....did not receive anything while pregnant or in labor. Except...I was induced due to his size at 38.5 weeks.

Non-PANDAS son.....went into labor at 32 weeks. Lungs are developed so I did not receive that med. They did stop labor for about 24 hours. Not sure what meds were used. Reason in hindsight...toxemia.

Non-PANDAS daughter....Given nothing during pregnancy or labor.Except...induced at 38 weeks due to size

Hi - both my kids were delivered at 36.5 and 37 weeks by c-section due to very low amniotic fluid. I thought this following article looked interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19844811

Does the Immune System Induce Labor? Lessons from Preterm Deliveries in Women with Autoimmune Diseases.

A recent review of the literature suggested that thyroid autoimmunity is statistically associated with preterm delivery. This observation raises a number of follow-up questions, among them whether autoimmune function, in general, predisposes to premature delivery. A review of the English literature for the last 10 years, via PubMed search, finds strong supportive evidence for such a hypothesis. Since the fetal-placental unit represents a (semi) allograft within a maternal (allograft) recipient, it is reasonable to assume that it is subject to similar immunologic tolerance (and failure thereof) as solid organ transplants. As autoimmune responses represent a normal feature of tolerance failure in organ transplantation, similar autoimmune responses can also be expected with failure of tolerance of the fetal-maternal graft. The association of premature (and possibly also term) labor with autoimmune function may, therefore, be the consequence of abnormalities in normal fetal-placental tolerance, leading to uterine activation and labor.

Just wondering if there is any trend in the birthing history of any of our PANDAS kids. Any of you experience pre-term labor that required the use of Terbutaline to stop contractions or the use of a steroid to speed lung devlopment? I had to take both when pregnant with my PANDAS dd. Pre-term labor started at 20 weeks.

With my dd8 I had to take Terbutaline and also magnesium sulfate and steroids to speed lung development. Preterm labor started at 27 weeks and she was born at 33 weeks.

dd7 I did not need any of it even though she was considered preterm at 36 weeks.

Susan

In regards to autoimmune issues and preterm labor, my OBGYN for baby #2 and #3 said with toxemia, the body sees the fetus as a foreign object and sets out to rid the body of that foreign object. I had extreme inflammation and blood pressure was very high. He went on to say that if you have subsequent babies with the same man, your chances of toxemia lessen.At least that how I think he explained it. It was years ago.

For those who had premies...may I ask if they know the reason for prematurity?

For those who had premies...may I ask if they know the reason for prematurity?

My dd8 was a multiple birth and this is considered the reason for her prematurity.

dd7 was a single baby and they did not expect her early labor so this cause is unknown.

Susan

DS9 PANDAS born at 40 weeks 5 days. No preterm labor. + respiratory distress at delivery and "bagged" for 90 seconds, low one minute apgar and normal 5 minute apgar.

DS5 nonpandas born at 37 weeks (just term!) and I did have terb. shot once at 34 weeks with him, but contractions stopped. No steroids.

Just the opposite over here! My ds6 was 43 weeks! I never went into labor, the amniotic fluid dried up, and he was all but dead in there (2 points out of 10) - emergency C section at the end and they weren't sure that he would make it through that. I was supposed to be induced at 42 weeks, but my OB lost her license the night before for showing up drunk to do a C-section, so then I had to start looking for a new OB and no-one wanted to take me (liability reasons) given that I was already post-dates! Finally found one guy to do it and he basically rushed me from his office to the hospital.

My ds3 was taken by C-section at 37 weeks due to size - he was already over 8 pounds and had "busted open" my hips (the way that usually happens during delivery). My OB said that if we didn't get him out then, I'd be on a walker for 6 months after delivery. But he didn't need anything special as far as pre-term treatment goes.

Just the opposite over here! My ds6 was 43 weeks! I never went into labor, the amniotic fluid dried up, and he was all but dead in there (2 points out of 10) - emergency C section at the end and they weren't sure that he would make it through that. I was supposed to be induced at 42 weeks, but my OB lost her license the night before for showing up drunk to do a C-section, so then I had to start looking for a new OB and no-one wanted to take me (liability reasons) given that I was already post-dates! Finally found one guy to do it and he basically rushed me from his office to the hospital.

OMG- how crazy is that? I'm speechless!

dd13 pitocin b/c doctor ruptured my membranes at 37 weeks without my permission or even telling me the second prior to rupturing them that she was about to do it (never went back to her again!)

dd9 no meds at all- he was 11 days late

dd7 no meds at all- he was 9 days late

dd3 no meds at all- he was 7 days late

I had IV antibiotics with all due to being GBS poisitive.