ACN Latitudes Forums

Tonsils and PANDAS parents

jewels

Hi,

I have just been gathering "strep" history information from family this morning. We noticed that a high percentage of our family have had recurrent throat/strep issues. Also, lots of our clan had their tonsils removed as children.

Dh has suffered with bouts of glandular fever during his life, and I suffered with recurring sore throat as a child and often get a mild sore throat when dd has strep.

Do any other parents have a strong history of Strep issues/tonsil connected infections.

Thanks

Jules

I had tonsilitis all the time as a child. Even had it a few times as an adult. I was just given a script for penicillin as a child very time my tonsils had spots. My ped, when I was a child, had the mind set not to take out tonsils so I have them to this day. When I was a child when the tides changed and it was no longer the norm to remove tonsils. I wish I had them taken out as a child.

I had strep all the time as a kid and had my tonsils taken out when I was 12. My husband had strep too and had his tonsils (and adenoids) removed as a child. I think his last documented case of strep was about five years ago.

Do any other parents have a strong history of Strep issues/tonsil connected infections.

Thanks

Jules

I had strep all the time as a kid and had my tonsils taken out when I was 12. My husband had strep too and had his tonsils (and adenoids) removed as a child. I think his last documented case of strep was about five years ago.

Thanks

Jules

Never much strep that I know of.

But I and my sibs ALL had tonsils out and adenoids in at least two case.

My wife has hers out as well.

My son had his out last week at age 9. Ouch.

My father is going through all his medical history because he has started to collect autoimmune conditions like its a new hobby from the age of 60. He was a very healthy child, but from the age of 4 he started with chronic strep throat infections and ended up in hospital with them.

his medical record states that he had a severe reaction to strep throat! No more information was written down, but he's going to ask older brother what the reaction was (he has no memory) Tonsils removed at 7 and no other problems after that. Do you think he could of been a PANDA?

I had my tonsils removed in the 9th grade of High School after missing nearly the entire year of school with chronic infections.

I have been compiling all of my children's health records, going through them with a fine tooth comb, and I am SHOCKED by all the strep related visits (diagnosed or not), both my girls had step with the RF rash when they were both around two years of age. In Sept. 2006 all three of my children had strep (but my dd who was 6 at the time and was the only one to test positive on the rapid culture) within two weeks of that doctor's visit we were in the ER having a emergency psych eval done on our ds (13 at the time) due to overnight on-set of rages/mood liability, ocd rituals, etc.. The sad part is that the Dr. prescribed abx for all three of my children because they had rash, high fever and sibling was positive but had me discontinue it two days later when 72 hour cultures came back neg on my other two children (even though they were symptomatic). No ASO or AntiDnaseB ordered-NOTHING!

I can't tell you how many times we went to the doctor with unexplained urinary frequency issues with both our dd's after the sept. 2006 strep infection. We were sooo up to our eyeballs dealing with our ds that I didn't even remember this until I went through the medical records.

Thanks

Jules

My tonsils are missing but I never had them removed! (Stolen in the night?) Apparently that can be a sign of immune deficiency.

Yes, to recurrent sore throats, though. With fevers.

Hi,

I have just been gathering "strep" history information from family this morning. We noticed that a high percentage of our family have had recurrent throat/strep issues. Also, lots of our clan had their tonsils removed as children.

Dh has suffered with bouts of glandular fever during his life, and I suffered with recurring sore throat as a child and often get a mild sore throat when dd has strep.

Thanks

Jules

OK, here is our history:

I am 99.9% sure I was a PANDAS child. Of course, back in the 70's and 80's when I was going through this, we did not know about PANDAS, so having a T&A was never an option. I did get strep a lot and pneumonia 3 times.

My husband had his tonsils out for frequent strep. I am not sure in the early 70's if they were removing the adenoids also. His mom passed away last year, so I can't ask her.

Colleen

Do you know if that is happening more (being born with no tonsils) as a sign of evolution? Example, I have no wisdom teeth...none. That is slowly happening to people because of evolution and the body realizing there is no need for the.

I like it because I can tell my husband I am more evolved than him:)

My tonsils are missing but I never had them removed! (Stolen in the night?) Apparently that can be a sign of immune deficiency.

Yes, to recurrent sore throats, though. With fevers.

Hi,

Thanks

Jules

Hi - my mom her mom, her mom's sister and my brother all had peritonsillar abscesses. My mom had them on both sides and was in agony. Her mom's sister died fromt hem I believe (have to check that) 'cos they burst and the pus entered her stomach and the ensuing infection killed her.. ahh the good old days

I've read that having your tonsils out can improve pandas! Will it help them to sleep!

After twenty years of not routinely performing tonsillectomies, doctors began to find that children with chronically infected tonsils had some recurring problems. The tonsils' impact on breathing was especially interesting. Some studies looked at how children who snored were often classed as having behavioral problems in school or considered ADHD. When tonsils were removed, these children generally slept better and many of them behaved better in school and were clearly not ADHD.

These studies suggested that by not performing tonsillectomies, doctors were actually doing a disservice to some children, who truly would benefit from the procedure. Tonsillectomies have become a more acceptable procedure, especially for those children with chronically enlarged tonsils. In most cases, removal of tonsils benefit the health of children instead of making them more susceptible to illness.

This suggests that some children really don’t need tonsils, and that they are perhaps a “leftover” evolutionary enhancement that is not practical to modern day. Children with tonsillectomies generally have fewer instead of more illnesses. Chronic tonsil infection (tonsillitis) might actually weaken the body, making children predisposed to getting more illnesses.

For other people with tonsils, they may not pose any problem. If tonsils don’t get infected frequently, they may perhaps provide a little immunity boost in fighting off illnesses. This is actually not proven, since many other areas of the body also create lymphocytes to fight infection. From years of studying tonsils, most doctors conclude that they may be beneficial to some and detrimental to others. Therefore, we may not all need tonsils.

MOM2PANDAS who stole your tonsils- send them here ^_^

We do. My brother and I had strep throat so much when we were kids. I had my tonsils removed at age 5 and it got a lot better after that. I asked my Mom if I was nutty as a kid in any way that might support a mild case of pandas and she said no. I do remember being very fearful and worried as a kid, but that's it.

Susan

I've read that having your tonsils out can improve pandas! Will it help them to sleep!

After twenty years of not routinely performing tonsillectomies, doctors began to find that children with chronically infected tonsils had some recurring problems. The tonsils' impact on breathing was especially interesting. Some studies looked at how children who snored were often classed as having behavioral problems in school or considered ADHD. When tonsils were removed, these children generally slept better and many of them behaved better in school and were clearly not ADHD.

These studies suggested that by not performing tonsillectomies, doctors were actually doing a disservice to some children, who truly would benefit from the procedure. Tonsillectomies have become a more acceptable procedure, especially for those children with chronically enlarged tonsils. In most cases, removal of tonsils benefit the health of children instead of making them more susceptible to illness.

This suggests that some children really don’t need tonsils, and that they are perhaps a “leftover” evolutionary enhancement that is not practical to modern day. Children with tonsillectomies generally have fewer instead of more illnesses. Chronic tonsil infection (tonsillitis) might actually weaken the body, making children predisposed to getting more illnesses.

For other people with tonsils, they may not pose any problem. If tonsils don’t get infected frequently, they may perhaps provide a little immunity boost in fighting off illnesses. This is actually not proven, since many other areas of the body also create lymphocytes to fight infection. From years of studying tonsils, most doctors conclude that they may be beneficial to some and detrimental to others. Therefore, we may not all need tonsils.

MOM2PANDAS who stole your tonsils- send them here ^_^

:) ... :)

Hi,

Thanks

Jules

Me and my husband both had numerous strep throats and both had our tonsills removed at aroud 11-12 years old