ACN Latitudes Forums

digestion

Guest paula

although all of the companies making supplements for kids on the spectrum recommend their plant-based enzymes, my son seems to do better on animal-based enzymes. he also needs extra hcl with each meal. some practitioners recommend more, some caution against more (he takes two with each meal, and is a 135 lb 17 year old). in all the literature about this subject, i have never seen hcl mentioned. does anyone have any experience with this? is hcl safe?

Paula, There's a book by Jonathan Wright, MD: Why Stomach Acid is Good for You. He recommends HCl for several conditions when people have lower than normal gastric acid secretion. The book has suggestions for administration and monitoring (says its use should be closely monitored by a knowledgeable physician) as well as on other issues. Dr. Wright indicates HCl should not be taken with anti-inflammatory medication.

Is the protocol helping so far?

Best wishes, Sheila

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Joyce

I have questions too. We went to a NP who told us the food allergies, high aluminum, and yeast problems can be caused by low HCl. We need to add HCl to the point he had heart burn. If he has heart burn to stop the HCl or go back to the lower dose we were using. Is this underlying problem because of heavy metals or is this a seperate issue that needs to be treated? I haven't been able to find a lot of information on HCl related to heavy metals. We are using enzymes too.

Thank-you,

Joyce

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest

Hi. sorry got interrupted when last writing.

If you do use HCl it is worth taking advice as too much can, as you say, cause heartburn which can be extremely unpleasant especially if the child has limited verbal skills and cannot communicate how he feels.

One good source of digestive enzymes comes from Chris Pick.

It's also worth adding probiotics too as they can help.