ACN Latitudes Forums

Penicillin

My question is then how do you know if it's a reaction to the penicillin or a rash related to the strep? Or is that the million dollar question?!

I am noticing a trend. When describing your child's past or current antibiotic use, I have noticed that many have stated that ...."we thought he/she was allergic to penicillin, so we......" We were told our daughter was having an allergic reaction to penicillin when she was three and got a rash while she was sick. It now seems that rash was more likely due to her being sick (RF) than the penicillin. She is not allergic to penicillin. She just got a bicillin shot three weeks ago and no issues. What if all this time, she never was allergic to penicillin and all this time avoiding penicillin just kept her from truly being able to get rid of her strep completely? ... allowing her body to go into overdrive trying to get rid of it ... and causing the PANDAS? What if penicillin is actually what is needed to get rid of the strep entirely?

How many of you have been told your child was allergic to Penicillin at some point?

My question is then how do you know if it's a reaction to the penicillin or a rash related to the strep? Or is that the million dollar question?!

See my above post re our immuno doc ordered blood tests to verify allergy...

How many of you have been told your child was allergic to Penicillin at some point?

If you have mono (EBV) and take Amoxicillin/penicillin you can break out in hives. I am not saying this is what is the case with people who have posted about rashes with amox/pen, but just wanted to throw that out there in case.

My daughter developed hives while taking Augmentin when she was younger. She had been taking it for months without any problems, then bam- head to toe hives. We immediately stopped giving it and had her skin tested to see if she was allergic to it. The tests came back that she was NOT allergic to it.

I just had a major "light bulb moment" as I am typing. Maybe the reason she developed hives after being on it for several months is b/c she was exposed to EBV, thus causing the rash reaction. I have always wondered if she had mono b/c she did go through a period of time when she was so exhausted. This was about 5 years ago. I wonder if we did EBV titers if it would indicate if she had it back then. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Colleen

You all know that antibiotics are molds, right? A severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic generally means that there is also a mold allergy in the individual affected. Mold can be a major tic trigger and is extremely inflammatory in the body. Moldy environments can also make one very sick. Do a google search on mycotoxins.

You all know that antibiotics are molds, right? A severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic generally means that there is also a mold allergy in the individual affected. Mold can be a major tic trigger and is extremely inflammatory in the body. Moldy environments can also make one very sick. Do a google search on mycotoxins.

My DS9 had allergy testing on his back the other week and we was positive for some molds.

Colleen.....yes...if your child was exposed to Epstein-barr virus...titers would indicate it. Once infected (95%of the population is infected by age 30)...it stays with you forever (dormant...can be re-activated, though)..So, yes....if you get an Epstein-barr virus panel...it will show either current, past, or reactivated infection.

Also, it is a good idea to get tested for what specific molds your child may be allergic to. My son has a mold allergy, Asperillgus, not to Penicillinase, the mold used to make Penicillin....he takes Pen VK with no problems. So, if your child had a mold allergy...don't automatically assume he/she can't take Penicillin.....but, do get checked!........

Caryn,

I did not know that all antibiotics were made from molds. I thought that only the Penicillin family was.....this is interesting to me.

I couldn't find any info. on what mold (like Penicillinase is used to make Penicillin) is used to make Azith. I am interested because of my sons mold allergy......and considering a switch to proph. Azith. Can you give more info. on that?

Thanks.

Kelly

Caryn,

I did not know that all antibiotics were made from molds. I thought that only the Penicillin family was.....this is interesting to me.

I couldn't find any info. on what mold (like Penicillinase is used to make Penicillin) is used to make Azith. I am interested because of my sons mold allergy......and considering a switch to proph. Azith. Can you give more info. on that?

Thanks.

Kelly

azithromycin is made from erythromycin, which in turn is made from Saccharopolyspora erythraea. aka Streptomyces erythraeus,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azithromycin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin