ACN Latitudes Forums

Penicillin

I am noticing a trend. When describing your child's past or current antibiotic use, I have noticed that many have stated that ...."we thought he/she was allergic to penicillin, so we......" We were told our daughter was having an allergic reaction to penicillin when she was three and got a rash while she was sick. It now seems that rash was more likely due to her being sick (RF) than the penicillin. She is not allergic to penicillin. She just got a bicillin shot three weeks ago and no issues. What if all this time, she never was allergic to penicillin and all this time avoiding penicillin just kept her from truly being able to get rid of her strep completely? ... allowing her body to go into overdrive trying to get rid of it ... and causing the PANDAS? What if penicillin is actually what is needed to get rid of the strep entirely?

How many of you have been told your child was allergic to Penicillin at some point?

Shoot lost my post, but I'll try to type it again although I'm soooo ready for bed!

dd8 (maybe both girls? I can't remember) had the rash in relation to amoxcillan She got rashed all the time back then. I don't list it as a known allergy for her, but I stopped giving it due to the "reaction". It didn't really work anyway for her infections so at the time, I was OK with not using it.....

Susan

I am noticing a trend. When describing your child's past or current antibiotic use, I have noticed that many have stated that ...."we thought he/she was allergic to penicillin, so we......" We were told our daughter was having an allergic reaction to penicillin when she was three and got a rash while she was sick. It now seems that rash was more likely due to her being sick (RF) than the penicillin. She is not allergic to penicillin. She just got a bicillin shot three weeks ago and no issues. What if all this time, she never was allergic to penicillin and all this time avoiding penicillin just kept her from truly being able to get rid of her strep completely? ... allowing her body to go into overdrive trying to get rid of it ... and causing the PANDAS? What if penicillin is actually what is needed to get rid of the strep entirely?

How many of you have been told your child was allergic to Penicillin at some point?

Charlotte Mom,

We also had the supposed penicillin allergy at age two after some hives while taking it and avoided it for eight years until an allergy test showed no penicillin alergy. He has been on penicllin since December with no allergic reaction. Looking back we are fairly certain that my son had some milder PANDAS symptoms as a toddler that certainly could have started from an undertreated strep infection.

How is your daughter doing on the bicillin? Seeing any positive changes?

Alex

I also was told my daughter was allergic to ammoxicilin due to a rash she had broken out with while on it. That was when when she was about 2 years old. I tried it again when she was in the hospital after having her tonsils removed. She was not allergic.

I was told my son was alllergic to Augmentin at age 2, after it was prescribed for an ear infection. He had been on Amox twice before that with no problem. I remember a rash reaction, but the doc's notes say hives on face. Have not used any penicillin based abx since then. Went for testing just a month ago with the allergist/immunologist - turns out he is not allergic to pen, and said the clauvanic acid really doesn't cause an allergy reaction. Said he could take penicillin if he needs to , and may get a rash but it would be self limiting - not a true allergy.

None of my kids have an allergy to penicillin.For some reason all the ped's I've encountered prescribe amoxicillin over pen. I know it's in the same med family.

My mother had a severe allergy to it. However, my sister and myself do not. I took penicillin a lot as a child due to recurring tonsillitis.

I was told I am allergic to it and have not had it since I was a baby...nor have I had any in that family of antibiotics... my kids have and had no problems... one of my kids had a rash after 10 days on one of them and I was told it was not an allergic reaction and that he could still have it... no rashes since then...

But my kids have had lots of strep and my doctors were not treating it with any regards to pandas when treating it and never once chose penicillian.

None of my kids have an allergy to penicillin.For some reason all the ped's I've encountered prescribe amoxicillin over pen. I know it's in the same med family.

My mother had a severe allergy to it. However, my sister and myself do not. I took penicillin a lot as a child due to recurring tonsillitis.

My DS9 had hives with Amoxil at age 3, so he has not had it since. We just had a bunch of blood drawn, ordered by immunologist, and he ordered 3 tests to check for pencillin ect allergy...I'll keep you posted results are pending.

At 5 years..ds got strep, about 10 days and that may have been end of dose..i noted sons shooulder shrug was not any better...(by 5-7 days would see let up, and again gone by 4 weeks) and in general still not well,..we went to doc either retested or just visual and gave us another round...the next day or 2 sons joints hurt so bad he was screaming in pain.....docs said get him off that and well give you a differenct abx, he's allergic to pen.... that was 4-5 years ago

As i know better now and per call with Dr K we don't think it was the pencillan but having severe strep for almost 2 weeks with no let up

mind you this was probably his 6-8 case of strep

also per eamom and even years ago, about that time i heard they were not giving adequated doses or concentrations of abx's

At 5 years..ds got strep, about 10 days and that may have been end of dose..i noted sons shooulder shrug was not any better...(by 5-7 days would see let up, and again gone by 4 weeks) and in general still not well,..we went to doc either retested or just visual and gave us another round...the next day or 2 sons joints hurt so bad he was screaming in pain.....docs said get him off that and well give you a differenct abx, he's allergic to pen.... that was 4-5 years ago

As i know better now and per call with Dr K we don't think it was the pencillan but having severe strep for almost 2 weeks with no let up

mind you this was probably his 6-8 case of strep

also per eamom and even years ago, about that time i heard they were not giving adequated doses or concentrations of abx's

PS yes i walked on eggshells around him during this but i attribute it to being sick...and 4 weeks post new abx(tic free) :angry: those were the days!!!

Yep! My son is also allergic to amoxicilin. When he was three months old he got his first ear infection and received amoxicilin. A rash developed all over his trunk, face and arms very quickly. He hasn't had it since. By the way, I am allergic to penicilin and amoxicilin. When I was in my mid 20's, I was accidentally prescribed amoxicilin (dummy me didn't read the prescription, dummy doc. didn't notice the big red sticker on my chart alerting to the allergy). Within two hours of taking one dose, my entire face blew up--bright rash and swelling.