ACN Latitudes Forums

Another curious observation

The phenotype of the higher than average education/intelligence of the parents is noted by Dr. K on his website. My personal feeling is that this is due to the fact that people of higher intelligence/education are going to be more apt to keep searching/searching and end up finding themselves driving themselves or flying hundreds of miles to get to a doc. The financial well being of the family could be a factor seeking out or getting proper care. (And then the ones that do have a little extra end up spending it all- and then some- getting help!!) I so often wonder how many kids in families with humble means have children that end up "in trouble" because of a neuropsychiatric condition like PANDAS, let alone something a bit more understood. I don't know if I am making myself very clear. Any other comments. Dawn

I agree with you...we really don't know the true numbers of children afflicted with this...Another thing that Dr. K said in his radio interview on Autism One was that the mothers of PANDAS children have non-interfering obsessive tendencies...describes me to a T--although my DH doesn't think my obsessions are non-interfering...LOL...however, I think Dr K. has observerd this because it is this type of personality trait that is not going to let up until we find out what is wrong with our children!

Describes me to a T also...LOL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - I've posted this one to death in the past but here goes again 'cos although anecdotal, I reckon it points at the real scale of the PAND (AS?) problem....

My mother-in-law was a teacher and then principal at a small elementary school in the UK for 20 years. Each year's intake was 28ish kids, 4-5 years old. Every year 2 kids out of the new intake kids (regular as clockwork) would get sudden onset of OCD type contamination fears, sometimes also showing ADHD symptoms.

She said they would sometimes try and guess which students it would be (as they were often the sensitive ones). All would usually resolve in about 6 months, sometimes the ADHD symptoms remianed, usually for the boys.

That's a rate of 1 in 14.. 7% or so, if my math hasn't failed me... now that is high...

"Sensitive ones"....have you ever heard of "ectomorph" "mesomorph" and "endomorph" ? DS9 PANDAS is ectomorph, DS5 nonPANDAS mesomorph...

Too late at night for me reactive,

can you explain those to me

(should be doing the ironing - but this is far more interesting) :)

ectomorph kids are very nervous types, very thin, bad eaters, not athletic, thinkers, intellectual

mesomorph kids are average weight, easy going, athletic, average in school

endomorph kids are more "rotund" if you will...forget the other qualities as I got stuck on endomorph since that described my ds9

I think I read this in a child development book one time....forget for sure where or when...

I would love to know how teachers and Drs describe a pandas child if they could see both sets of circumstances. Dds teacher knows when she is about to have an onset by her math and writing changes. She also noted a marked difference in personality and attitude.

Both my children are a mixture of ecto and meso - average in school but great thinkers.