ACN Latitudes Forums

brain scan-MRI?

jyl

I am wishing we could have a brain scan done to actually see what's happened/happening since my son was left "untreated" for the past 10-12 yrs., even with the correct diagnosis of PANDAS so long ago-how sad is that"

Is it typical for the "good" doctors to order one? Do you think I would have any success if I ask the doctor (B. - Ct.) to order one?

I am going to say 'no', I don't think so. there has to be a good reason I would think, mainly because it is quite expensive. You could push for one if you think there is good reason, but I don't think it is a matter of routine.

of course, I could be wrong... :wacko: but that's my feeling.

-Faith

I think you'd need to see a neurologist or neurosurgeon to get one ordered. Its not routine and can be hard to get. My personal opinion is that it should be done when there is a drastic change in behavior to make sure there aren't any structural causes.

I know a couple of kids who have had MRI's and one whose son is now a teen and the dr does MRI's every so often on him. He does have seizures though.

I believe MRI's may not show much. I think I remember reading the swelling may not show up on an MRI and there isn't white matter or gray matter (I can't remember what color-it's too early in the day)with PANDAS that would distinguish permanent damage (thank God).

Your son is still in his teens. The brain isn't done fully developing until early 20's. Yes, he's gone through puberty but the human brain is amazing. Make sure he is taking supplements like Omega 3's that will help his brain heal.

From the PANDAS FAQ page

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6266

Q: Does PANDAS cause permanent brain injury?

A: At present, it looks like exacerbations in PANDAS do not cause permanent harm to the brain. MRIs reveal no demyelization and while there are reports of enlargement of the basal ganglia (a part of the brain controlling fear, hunger, and motor skills), this seems to remit after treatment. We all certainly hope this is the case.

I am wishing we could have a brain scan done to actually see what's happened/happening since my son was left "untreated" for the past 10-12 yrs., even with the correct diagnosis of PANDAS so long ago-how sad is that"

Is it typical for the "good" doctors to order one? Do you think I would have any success if I ask the doctor (B. - Ct.) to order one?

I would say no since we had one done 4 years ago and it showed nothing. If you dr. feels it is necessary I woud push for a pet-scan instead it shows alot more.

Five years ago when my son was four and very very acute, our neurologist ordered a CT scan of the head. He also had a "big head" (still does and always did) and I think that is really why he ordered it...the test was normal.