ACN Latitudes Forums

It's Mycoplasma! Dr. T just sent me an email.

momaine

My daughter, who has suffered with PANDAS like symptoms for 3 years has elevated Mycoplasma IgG 2.75 (nl < 0.90). I just got an email from Dr. T but I haven't talked with him yet. I am SO relieved to know what is causing her problems. If Dr. T were in front of me right now I'd give him a BIG kiss and a hug. He is our hero! I'll talk with him later today to find out how we are changing up the antibiotics.

Ever hopeful,

Angela

to summarize.

PANDAS may be related to: streptococcus, mycoplasma ...... I even heard herpes and Epstein Barr virus ....

anything else?

any pathogen agent can trigger the incorrect immune response

I ask because since I do a panel at this point I'll do an immune comprehensive search

My daughter, who has suffered with PANDAS like symptoms for 3 years has elevated Mycoplasma IgG 2.75 (nl < 0.90). I just got an email from Dr. T but I haven't talked with him yet. I am SO relieved to know what is causing her problems. If Dr. T were in front of me right now I'd give him a BIG kiss and a hug. He is our hero! I'll talk with him later today to find out how we are changing up the antibiotics.

Ever hopeful,

Angela

I hear ya! We're in the same boat, he found my son's, too. We've had to discontinue abx for a couple days because of a little stomach bug and his inability to eat much less take meds BUT week that we've been treating for myco instead of chasing down strep, he had a lessening in severity in all areas of his illness.

I pray you have a wonderful result now that you'll be treating the right pathogen!

Good for you!

Ever hopeful,

Angela

I hear ya! We're in the same boat, he found my son's, too. We've had to discontinue abx for a couple days because of a little stomach bug and his inability to eat much less take meds BUT week that we've been treating for myco instead of chasing down strep, he had a lessening in severity in all areas of his illness.

I pray you have a wonderful result now that you'll be treating the right pathogen!

Good for you!

Thank you. I was thinking about you guys. Please, lets keep in touch as our kids are treated for this and compare notes.

Angela

Us too!! Our daughter's levels were at 2.15 (IgG). Her IgM was normal. Did you just get positive IgG?

We start on generic Biaxin tonight. We are praying this is the key!!! She has suffered for at least the past 3 years with OCD, which is starting to morph into anorexia. She developed tics in July (directly after a strep infection). It truly has been a nightmare. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Kim

For those starting meds for Mycroplasma, others have noted their children started a cough a few days after beginning them. Michael from Tampa did too. So don't be freaked out if that happens.

Yes, there was a cough in our case! Also some occasional chest pain. Also eye pain can be a symptom of mycoplasma. And on it goes, like a club within a club.

Can I ask where you heard about the Epstein Barr connection? My son tested positive in Nov. for a past EBV infection, though we don't know when he caught this - never had classic mono symptoms. Did go through a huge period in August of sleeping a ton, and we wonder... but I am interested in hearing more about this connection?

to summarize.

PANDAS may be related to: streptococcus, mycoplasma ...... I even heard herpes and Epstein Barr virus ....

anything else?

any pathogen agent can trigger the incorrect immune response

I ask because since I do a panel at this point I'll do an immune comprehensive search

Us too!! Our daughter's levels were at 2.15 (IgG). Her IgM was normal. Did you just get positive IgG?

We start on generic Biaxin tonight. We are praying this is the key!!! She has suffered for at least the past 3 years with OCD, which is starting to morph into anorexia. She developed tics in July (directly after a strep infection). It truly has been a nightmare. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Kim

Only positive on the (IgG) This is the Mycoplasma IgM 0.57 (nl < 0.90).

My dd also has trouble eating. I have to watcher her eat every bite to make sure she chews right. It scares the ###### out of me because she's already very thin. Will definitely keep you updated. Can't wait to hear from Dr. T and see what he wants her on for antibiotcs and start them. I hope this is the answer. Do you also have Dr. T?

Angela

For those starting meds for Mycroplasma, others have noted their children started a cough a few days after beginning them. Michael from Tampa did too. So don't be freaked out if that happens.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Angela

Kim

Only positive on the (IgG) This is the Mycoplasma IgM 0.57 (nl < 0.90).

My dd also has trouble eating. I have to watcher her eat every bite to make sure she chews right. It scares the ###### out of me because she's already very thin. Will definitely keep you updated. Can't wait to hear from Dr. T and see what he wants her on for antibiotcs and start them. I hope this is the answer. Do you also have Dr. T?

Angela

Dr. T -

Our son's mycoplasma IgG was 3.9! (on what looks to be the same scale). The IgM was negative. He has had significant trouble eradicating strep. Sooo... without the positive IgM--you still go after the mycoplasma?? We have since had IVIG (Oct 09). I'm assuming these mycoplasma IgG's are gone?? We are going for a second IVIG--found out we havebeen quite the strep factory in our home. Our son lost his good gains by 3 mo post IVIG. He has been on Augmentin 875 bid for almost 5 months now post IVIG. I know Augmentin will not get mycoplasma. Thoughts.

Dawn

Yes, we are "T" patients.

Our dd is obsessed with her weight. She has panic attacks in restaurants or if there is too much food on her plate. When that happens, we know we are getting ready to go into an "attack". Then, there are some days that she doesn't seem too concerned about it. She has major OCD symptoms, most of which center around obese people, food, etc. She also has tics. Her strep titers have always been low, although she did test positive for it last summer without any physical symptoms. I think her titers rose at that point, but it scared me because if she can test positive without symptoms, how do I know when she gets it??? We've ran her titers 2 other times and they were both normal (one before the strep and one after). We just came off of Clindamycin for 10 days and a steroid burst. The tics did pretty much go away during that time, but they are back. Mycoplasma was the absolute last thing I would have ever expected.

Dr. T -

Our son's mycoplasma IgG was 3.9! (on what looks to be the same scale). The IgM was negative. He has had significant trouble eradicating strep. Sooo... without the positive IgM--you still go after the mycoplasma?? We have since had IVIG (Oct 09). I'm assuming these mycoplasma IgG's are gone?? We are going for a second IVIG--found out we havebeen quite the strep factory in our home. Our son lost his good gains by 3 mo post IVIG. He has been on Augmentin 875 bid for almost 5 months now post IVIG. I know Augmentin will not get mycoplasma. Thoughts.

Dawn

Here is something I found on the LabCorp site about Mycoplasma testing. I'm not a doctor by any means, but if I read this right, the IgM number can be absent during a re-infection, so just because the IgG number is positive does not mean that they are not currently having issue with it?? (see last sentence) Anyone else reading that like I am?

"A positive result indicates prior exposure to Mycoplasma. A single positive IgG result may be present in the absence of any clinical symptoms as specific IgG antibodies may remain elevated long after initial infection. Recent or acute infection can only be documented by a positive Mycoplasma IgM result and/or a significant increase in the IgG value between sera drawn two to four weeks apart. Specific IgM antibodies may persist for several months after infection or be absent during reinfection."

Here is something I found on the LabCorp site about Mycoplasma testing. I'm not a doctor by any means, but if I read this right, the IgM number can be absent during a re-infection, so just because the IgG number is positive does not mean that they are not currently having issue with it?? (see last sentence) Anyone else reading that like I am?

"A positive result indicates prior exposure to Mycoplasma. A single positive IgG result may be present in the absence of any clinical symptoms as specific IgG antibodies may remain elevated long after initial infection. Recent or acute infection can only be documented by a positive Mycoplasma IgM result and/or a significant increase in the IgG value between sera drawn two to four weeks apart. Specific IgM antibodies may persist for several months after infection or be absent during reinfection."

That's what it sounds like to me. I guess time and Biaxin will tell. I'll keep you all posted.

I apologize for sounding ignorant but I always thought IgG pertained to food intolerances. Am I missing something?

Ever hopeful,

Angela