ACN Latitudes Forums

WHO: Add swine flu to regular flu vaccine

Wanted to post this since some PANDAS kids have had negative reactions to the swine flu vaccine...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...1GlGfQD9DUH8G80

WHO: Add swine flu to regular flu vaccine

(AP) – 2 days ago

LONDON — The World Health Organization is recommending that swine flu be added to the regular flu vaccine next season.

WHO said in a statement Thursday that it held a meeting this week to decide which flu strains should be recommended to drug makers for their vaccines during the northern hemisphere's next flu season, which begins in the fall.

Flu vaccines have three virus strains — which experts decide on after estimating which strains made the most people sick last season.

Last year, the swine flu pandemic virus, or H1N1, emerged too late to be added to the regular flu vaccine and a new vaccine was needed.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Hi Vickie,

I think this may be due to the enormous surplus that we have in this country! Lots of Drs, nurses and other health workers refused the vaccine :D Makes you wonder why!

My dad normally has a flu vaccine, but for some strange reason he turned it down last year.

Pregnant women were thrown into the "high risk" group and highly recommended to get it. Swine flu never became mandatory here for the general public. Well, maybe on military bases, not fully sure. As for med professionals, I think it was mandatory. I remember one nurse was put in the headlines when she refused the vaccine and was told she couldn't work if she didn't get it. That went to court. Anyone know the outcome?

Sadly, schools became sites for admisitering the vaccine and some kids were accidentally given the vacines even when the parents didn't consent to it. One of those accidents was a child with epilepsy that was then rushed to the hospital.In my district, elementary was done after hours witha parent present, but middle school and high school was done during school hours. In my district, the vaccine was given for free.

PANDAS kids that did have an exacerbation of symptoms should report it to VAERS and NVIC. I know of one mom that did and she was told by the vaccine company that her child was the only one who had a reaction like that. I will add the clause that not all PANDAS kids had an adverse reaction, but some did.

Here's a link to an old thread I did about reporting vaccine reactions..

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...ic=6707&hl=

Pregnant women were thrown into the "high risk" group and highly recommended to get it. Swine flu never became mandatory here for the general public. Well, maybe on military bases, not fully sure. As for med professionals, I think it was mandatory. I remember one nurse was put in the headlines when she refused the vaccine and was told she couldn't work if she didn't get it. That went to court. Anyone know the outcome?

Sadly, schools became sites for admisitering the vaccine and some kids were accidentally given the vacines even when the parents didn't consent to it. One of those accidents was a child with epilepsy that was then rushed to the hospital.In my district, elementary was done after hours witha parent present, but middle school and high school was done during school hours. In my district, the vaccine was given for free.

PANDAS kids that did have an exacerbation of symptoms should report it to VAERS and NVIC. I know of one mom that did and she was told by the vaccine company that her child was the only one who had a reaction like that. I will add the clause that not all PANDAS kids had an adverse reaction, but some did.

Here's a link to an old thread I did about reporting vaccine reactions..

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...ic=6707&hl=

As some of you may have read before, I work in OBGYN. Pregnant women were/are in the high risk group. Disclaimer: I am pro vaccine, by nature. I have read all the science supportive and not supportive of vaccines. My personal and professional opinion: I think vaccines do more good than harm. It is easy for us to be critics now, of vaccines, living in this day and age of not really having to worry about those old childhood diseases. But they took lives. My younger brother, now 30, almost died of HIB; the vaccine was not available then.

As for H1N1, the big spike in cases has died down from last fall. But I will tell you, just in my OBGYN clinic, in Akron (not a large city), we had three of our clinic patients on ventilators and one death in our pregnant patients. It happened in October, before the vaccine was available. Many of the cases of H1N1 occurred before people had access to the vaccine. My ds9, PANDAS, got his first symptoms of H1N1 during our 40 minute wait in line to get the vaccine, so he could not get vaccinated (irony).

I fully agree that vacines save lives. The majority of people around the world have been protected from these awful diseases. However alot more research needs to go into the minority who have adverse reactions. We should not live in a world where a few pay the price for the many to be healthy.

All the vaccine companies should be funding Autoimmune and Genetic studies, rather than these Drs having to beg for grants.

My daughter is on the VAERS log! Her Doctor put her on it.

I fully agree that vacines save lives. The majority of people around the world have been protected from these awful diseases. However alot more research needs to go into the minority who have adverse reactions. We should not live in a world where a few pay the price for the many to be healthy.

All the vaccine companies should be funding Autoimmune and Genetic studies, rather than these Drs having to beg for grants.

My daughter is on the VAERS log! Her Doctor put her on it.

And on the same note, we all should be mindful that all medications and many other treatment modalities have inherent risk. There is nothing without risk. Daily antibiotic regimens have risk. IVIG has risk...those who have done this would be well aware. But most kids do well with these treatments; and most kids do well with vaccines. Remember Vioxx? Ortho Evra? Everything we take; something could happen. There are other areas of medicine and health care in which "a few pay the price" believe me.

What is standard in medicine is risk vs. benefit. As a parent, you decide what that risk benefit phrase means for your child. When I take my kids for vaccines, every single one, they have me sign my initial for consent. If you knew then what you know now, you may not have consented to the vaccine that your child reacted to. But it doesn't work that way...you didn't know she would react badly...risk vs benefit :)