ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyones child not react well to zithromax?

Ds just started a low dose zithromax twice a week. He had just come off amoxicillin to treat an active strep infection and was doing great, no rages or anger for 6 days (usually he has rages every day).

The last couple of days he's been ramping back up, low tolerance for frustration and mini- explosions

he'd been on zithromax about a month ago and we had the same problem, but I didn't equate it to the medicine directly effecting him. Thought it may have been the red dye or a virus.

Now I'm thinking it's the zithromax. I'm going to try to give it through the weekend and call dr t Monday, but was curious if anyone else had this experience.

tracyree,

was the prior usage of azith everyday, or still twice a week? did the amoxy clear the infection? just curious.

I am one who felt our symptom of vocal tics were increased with azith (250 mg. per day everyday) so I did not continue, as it was pretty obvious. However, that said, I am not completely sure if it was that it was a reaction or one of those 'gets worse before it gets better things"? .... it can't be that it just didn't help, because the symptoms, altho still present, went down after discontinuing the azith and not being on anything. we don't really have rages as a symptom, I go more by tics and ocd. I might add, we were not doing this to treat strep specifically.

Faith

my son reacted horribly to zithromax. at the time, we believed he had a penicilin allergy, that's why they chose zith. fall '08, he'd been to the dr many times - then a behavioral therapist suggested pandas. he had high titers and + culture. the ped just threw him on a 5-day course of zith with the statement, "i think you'll find the strep and the behaviors are not related." it was terrible - he was clingy, tired, irritable.

could it have been a worse-before-better issue? i don't know, maybe. however, he improved once off the zith. we switched peds and a few weeks later, he was on a 30-day course of kelfex. i saw a 100% return to pre-pandas in about 3 days.

i know most see great results with zith. we did not and i do believe it was not a good med for him.

His behaviors improved GREATLY on the Amoxicillin. I'd say 95% to baseline. It was amazing to see him BACK with me <_<

We just started working with Dr. T who has ordered a Lyme test which our doc will do in a few weeks.

I don't think I've heard of a PANDAS child reacting that bad to Zithromax. Has he been tested for Lyme?

Did his behavior improve while on the Amoxicilli? How long was he on it for and how close to his baseline did he get while on it?

You could switch to Augmentin.

The prior use was every day, a lower dose.

this is all so confusing.

tracyree,

was the prior usage of azith everyday, or still twice a week? did the amoxy clear the infection? just curious.

I am one who felt our symptom of vocal tics were increased with azith (250 mg. per day everyday) so I did not continue, as it was pretty obvious. However, that said, I am not completely sure if it was that it was a reaction or one of those 'gets worse before it gets better things"? .... it can't be that it just didn't help, because the symptoms, altho still present, went down after discontinuing the azith and not being on anything. we don't really have rages as a symptom, I go more by tics and ocd. I might add, we were not doing this to treat strep specifically.

Faith

Do people use amoxicillin prophylactically? Definitely calling doc tomorrow for a new prescription...explosions continue to become more frequent.

If amox works for him, then maybe that's his antibiotic and stick with that. If you feel more comfortable with something stronger, Augmentin is amox with an added ingredient.