ACN Latitudes Forums

retainer causes vocal tic

patty

My son just got his lower jaw retainer 2 weeks ago to correct his severe underbite. Two days into it, he started a vocal tic, and spiked some of his OCDs. Since his initial appt. for the retainer, he has had 2 adjustments on the retainer and 1 craniosacral therapy, and his vocal tic remains. According to my son's orthod, he said it is not unusual the retainer aggravates symptoms and it may take a few more adjustments before the symptoms subside.

Anyone has similiar experience? I am getting concern & nervous!!

Pat

Hi Patty

is the retainer metal? that can be a trigger as can any type of dental/orthodontic work

we have had reports here of retainers and braces spiking symptoms

my own son refused to have orthodontics because at the time he knew he could not tolerate any metal in his mouth. (he even ate with plastic utensils for a while because of that trigger from metallic stuff in is mouth)

His teeth actually grew out just fine!

hope things settle soon for your son

Hi Patty,

My son had a major spike when he got the braces, but his best friend also had strep that same week so I don't know which/both caused the trigger. It was a few months that he had that spike. Since he already had the vocals before the braces went on, it just became something we dealt with. It will be 2 years in June and he still has a year to go. I can't wait to see what happends when they come off.

I am sure that teeth cause a trigger in my son. I hope the goes away for him soon.

CP

I think the invisalign would probably work well for those who have the metal trigger things....but with the info re the TMJ and some people who display TS symptoms, I am not sure if it is the altered jaw/dental allignments that affect those who are TMJ susceptible ?? so whether regular braces or invisalign...the re alignment may be the trigger?

I think the invisalign would probably work well for those who have the metal trigger things....but with the info re the TMJ and some people who display TS symptoms, I am not sure if it is the altered jaw/dental allignments that affect those who are TMJ susceptible ?? so whether regular braces or invisalign...the re alignment may be the trigger?

i agree..son had braces taken off 1month before onset..but at that time had a permenanat metal retainer installed...if it is his tmj i wouldn't contribute it to the metal (or couse he only had 8 braces) but more to the whole realignment of teeth, jaw

Lends some support to what the guy was saying about the trigger for tics being some facial nerve and putting those sticks in that guy's mouth to stop his tics.

Or it could just be a reaction to something in the retainer.

I had a retainer as a child on both the top and bottom. Occasionally I have dreams about wearing it, but that's probably just because I grind my teeth at night. I also have dreams about my teeth falling out, which I always thought was weird until we learned in psychology class in high school that that is one of the top 10 most common nightmares :blink:

My son's orthod is familiar w/Dr. Sims & Dr. Stack's work. In fact, he gave me their pilot study on TS. The retainer device that he uses is similar to Dr. Stack & Dr. Sims but modified, and the idea is the same. By correcting my son's severe underbite it will correct other neurological issues, like tics, OCD, asthma, allergies.....

I don't think my son is sensitive to metal because he was muscle tested on the materials used to make the retainer.

I am alittle disappointed at this time as the orthod is not sure what is causing the symptoms to spike. He said he will talk to my son's Craniosacral therapiest and get a better idea of what is going on. In the meantime, i am not having my son wear it and see if the symptoms go away.

This is so frustrating!!! Why does everything has to be so hard????!!!! :blink:

Pat

My son just got his lower jaw retainer 2 weeks ago to correct his severe underbite. Two days into it, he started a vocal tic, and spiked some of his OCDs. Since his initial appt. for the retainer, he has had 2 adjustments on the retainer and 1 craniosacral therapy, and his vocal tic remains. According to my son's orthod, he said it is not unusual the retainer aggravates symptoms and it may take a few more adjustments before the symptoms subside.

Anyone has similiar experience? I am getting concern & nervous!!

Pat

I think sometimes just putting pressure, or stimulating a certain area causes certain tics. For instance, my son does a stomach tic (pushing it in and out) when we cuddle in bed and I put my arm around his middle. Also, when he has a cold the regular sniffing turns into tic sniffing but goes away a week or so after the cold. Drainage from a cold will also start a vocal throat clearing tic that goes away with the cold as well. Maybe as he gets used to it the tic will go away.