ACN Latitudes Forums

to burst or not to

Fixit

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the steroids and lyme, lymemom has posted that steroids can cause permanent damage for those with lyme, so you may want to consider getting a lyme diagnosis prior to trying steroids. The ILADS lyme guide she posted, I'm not sure if it said it that strongly, but I think it said something like "steroids are absolutely contraindicated in cases of lyme".

All this can be tough, trying to factor into how long to wait, how much money to spend on all these various possibilities (lyme tests and doctors will take time and can be expensive), how careful to be, how urgent you need some relief, and so on.

Michael

Fixit,

As I've mentioned I did not wind up doing the steroid burst, but we were prescribed a 30 day, so my concerns were a little different. Also, this was a few months ago that I was considering this, but in case you haven't searched the board, here is the thread where I pretty much had the same concerns as you, so you can read some of the replies. sorry to confuse you more, but maybe it will help your decision.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...ic=5851&hl=

good luck

Faith

Does anyone else think i should have less of a concern if it is 5 days at 1per 35 , 2 xs a day vs a 30 day starting at 20ml 2xs and tapering down each week till 5ml 2 xs a day.

does the less time on it make a difference?

has anyone done it and regretted it and why? anyone with long term problems after?

Got a neuro today so got to go....

Fixit,

As I've mentioned I did not wind up doing the steroid burst, but we were prescribed a 30 day, so my concerns were a little different. Also, this was a few months ago that I was considering this, but in case you haven't searched the board, here is the thread where I pretty much had the same concerns as you, so you can read some of the replies. sorry to confuse you more, but maybe it will help your decision.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...ic=5851&hl=

good luck

Faith

Does anyone else think i should have less of a concern if it is 5 days at 1per 35 , 2 xs a day vs a 30 day starting at 20ml 2xs and tapering down each week till 5ml 2 xs a day.

I guess should i not be as worried being on it less time , does a short burst make a difference?

Chemar...how long was your hubby on his pred, at what dose, before he noticed his tics flare up?

has anyone done it and regretted it and why? anyone with long term problems after?

Got a neuro today too so got to go....

Chemar...how long was your hubby on his pred, at what dose, before he noticed his tics flare up?

I did post this above yours...think we were posting the same time

I dont remember the dose but it was the regular 5 day prednisone burst pack where it starts high and tapers downward for 5 days

he noticed the elevated tics very shortly after first dose on day 1 and it got worse and worse with each day

altho the intensity of his tics now is not like it was during and for a few months after the burst, the overall number, frequency and duration of his tics, both motor and vocal, are still far higher than they were a year ago, before he had the steroid burst

seriously i've got to go

but...son has allergies really .....i think i gave him a nasal spray like nosonex a couple of times(steriods?) any thoughts? after onset i gave him NOTHING other than vitamins.....we had no tics for 4-5 months prior...i thought we were home free(remember son said he didn't feel good the day before and doc said serious allerigies, glands swollen etc!!!)

Hi Fixit...I agree with the others that said to do high dose abs for 1-2 mo. before considering a burst. I also agree about getting tested for lyme, mycoplasma etc.

You could start with Augmentin for a month (if you already have an rx). If that doesn't work I would try Azith for 2mo. (I don't remember his size, so either 250mg or 500mg/day).

For us tics were the slowest symptom to go away...so I would give the azith at least 2mo.