ACN Latitudes Forums

a message for us all

bev

This poem was posted on another site - nothing to do with TS - but i thought it had a ring of truth about it and thought i would share. :mellow:

A while ago, an elephant moved into my living room.

This is the story of my reaction then, and now:

" Oh no! What the heck is that?!?!? Is that an elephant? What is it doing in my living room?! That doesnt belong here! I want it out! My living room isnt big enough for that thing. It's making an awful mess!

Whats that? I have to take care of it? I don't know the first thing about elephant care. No one in my family has an elephant in their living room.

Ok, to be honest, Im afraid of it, I dont know if I can take care of it properly. What if I screw it up? what if I fail?

Can I run away from it for awhile and think about things?

Oh, there's others with elephants in their living rooms too? So they would understand right? Even when others dont.

And there's books on elephant care? Thats good I like to read

Ok then all right, I'll do my best to take good care of it. When will it leave?

What do you mean you dont know?!

Ok so I have to take real good care of it and you dont know when it will leave?

Dr Faustman? Whos she? Will she be able to make it leave my living room?

Well at least someones working on that, thats a comfort.

Today:

The elephant is still there in the living room. Most days it stays over in the corner, quiet, leaving us plenty of room to live our lives around it. Some days it will try to lumber out in the middle of the room and get in the way. I just give it some extra attention and then gently shove it back there where it belongs.

Elephant, I may have to accept your being in my living room but I dont have to like it or you.

Just stay out of my boys way, he has lots of plans and dreams and you will never be allowed to get in the way of them.

thanks Bev :)

we sure found that by just accepting the elephant as part of our family, it morphed into a mouse ^_^

we have 4 cats.......... :mellow:

it's hard when we want to really just make it go away huh!

hopefully for most, it will.

that is so true of not letting the elephant ever get in the way of those plans and dreams!

YES, thanks for sharing!

Lots of plans and dreams here, so move out of the way, silly elephants!!!!

This week our son certainly proved that. He was a finalist in the 5th grade declamation contest (public speaking). He has mostly vocal tics. He wasn't concerned about doing it at all. I was a wreck! He was being judged on how he handled his nervousness as well as the speech part! He didn't even want to practice the night before. He just got up there and did his thing and wowed us all! He took First Place!!! Proud, proud mommy moment!

I totally know this was God's way of telling me to relax and that my son has many gifts and talents and that he has what it takes to face his challenges. I know God is watching over him and all our kids!

:)

thanks so much for sharing Hope!

my son did some public speaking things too, once even for the TSA, and so I share that wonder you feel ^_^

My son has always said that, despite the big challenges his TS has brought to his life, yet he knows he is a stronger and better person because of it

most people with TS do seem very talented. Letting those talents be fulfilled is often one of the best therapies for TS!

YES, thanks for sharing!

Lots of plans and dreams here, so move out of the way, silly elephants!!!!

This week our son certainly proved that. He was a finalist in the 5th grade declamation contest (public speaking). He has mostly vocal tics. He wasn't concerned about doing it at all. I was a wreck! He was being judged on how he handled his nervousness as well as the speech part! He didn't even want to practice the night before. He just got up there and did his thing and wowed us all! He took First Place!!! Proud, proud mommy moment!

I totally know this was God's way of telling me to relax and that my son has many gifts and talents and that he has what it takes to face his challenges. I know God is watching over him and all our kids!

Hope,

That story is just beautiful - thankyou for sharing with us all. I do think that all our children have a special *gift* - not in a way that people recognise as a *gift*. I mean that our children are all so strong and dynamic in the face of what they have to deal with on a daily basis. I know my son is the happiest, most cheerful child i have met (a bit biased maybe)- and he finds happiness in the most unusual things. He is the most thoughtful of all my three children and he is the youngest!

Your son sounds wonderful and strong and you have every right to be a 'proud mommy' - he is a star and you too. Well done to your son from me. Keep those elephants at bay! Bev x