ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycoplasm p. for dummies

melanie

Hi

I am scheduled for a Dr app on monday for dannys immunologist ,His 2nd IV treatment is scheduled for Friday.I am going to ask her about the mycoplasm and antibiotic to treat it.I am going to email dr T and ask him to speak with her.I know they have worked together in the past.Dr T is Dannys neurologist and has preformed several tests .He is the one who initally got him approved for the IV treatments.

I am still unclear about the connection of pandas and mycoplasm .I know Dr T is very interested in the connection. I see there are others also interested and treating it.

Is it contagious? Does the rest of my family have it?Azith doesnt treat it and clindimyicin doesnt but biaxin does?

I need biaxan?

Melanie

Hi

I am scheduled for a Dr app on monday for dannys immunologist ,His 2nd IV treatment is scheduled for Friday.I am going to ask her about the mycoplasm and antibiotic to treat it.I am going to email dr T and ask him to speak with her.I know they have worked together in the past.Dr T is Dannys neurologist and has preformed several tests .He is the one who initally got him approved for the IV treatments.

I am still unclear about the connection of pandas and mycoplasm .I know Dr T is very interested in the connection. I see there are others also interested and treating it.

Is it contagious? Does the rest of my family have it?Azith doesnt treat it and clindimyicin doesnt but biaxin does?

I need biaxan?

Melanie

Melanie,

Azith does treat it, we just didn't see a result in my son with it. Biaxin, I believe, is a bigger gun. Both antibiotics are in a class called macrolides which is the class used to treat myco p.

I'm wondering, like you, if the rest of the family should be tested/treated.

Gat's mom

From what I have read, Azith does clear most people of Mycroplasma P. Also, some people can actually clear themselves of it over time w/o abx. It is also known as walking pneumonia and community pneumonia. Walking pneumonia because a good portion of people don't even know they have it. Community pneumonia because it is contagious and people who are clustered together (say in a classroom) can spread it to each other. I believe this is how my non-PANDAS so caught it. That rough, unproductive cough was rampant in the school at the time. The thing is a lot of people dismiss the cough as a symptom of a cold or allergies and don't go to the dr.

As for whether other family members should be tested I don't know. If you're going through IVIG treatments and such, I would think that it doesn't hurt for you, the parent, to get tested, but really don't know. What kind of "scared" me about it is that it is described as "smoldering". A person can have contracted it for 20 days and just be showing symptoms.

As for why PANDAS kids may be non-symptomatic with it...well, compare it to PANDAS kids and strep. A very high number do not get symptoms. Most "non PANDAS people" get over strep w/ amoxicillan. Not the case for PANDAS. So, for Mycroplasma P, most people get over it w/ Zith. Maybe it's not the case w/ PANDAS kids. Or docs don't know how long the infection has been either and perhaps Biaxin is much stronger than Zith.

So...

Amox is to Zith/Augmentin for PANDAS as Zith is to Biaxin for Mycroplasma P? Anyone know if this is the case?

Also, w/ PANDAS kids, a very high number are non-symptomatic w/ strep. Other parents will tell stories, how their child has allergies w/o physical symptoms or other illness w /o textbook symptoms. So, I don't see why we should necessarily be surprised if it's the case w/ Mycroplasma P as well.

As for PANDAS symptoms, well, if Mycroplasma P is the original trigger, I would think the child is more PITANDS. If the child's original trigger was strep and now reacts to Mycroplasma as well...well most kids do react to other things like viruses, infections, etc...so I don't think I would be surprised if Mycroplasma P would be a trigger too.

Bat Sheva Myllys has been dealing with Mycroplasma P and her daughter for awhile. She's busy and doesn't check the forum often. I'll pm her and ask her to join in on this if she has the time. Maybe she can share what she has learned.

From what I have read, Azith does clear most people of Mycroplasma P. Also, some people can actually clear themselves of it over time w/o abx. It is also known as walking pneumonia and community pneumonia. Walking pneumonia because a good portion of people don't even know they have it. Community pneumonia because it is contagious and people who are clustered together (say in a classroom) can spread it to each other. I believe this is how my non-PANDAS so caught it. That rough, unproductive cough was rampant in the school at the time. The thing is a lot of people dismiss the cough as a symptom of a cold or allergies and don't go to the dr.

As for whether other family members should be tested I don't know. If you're going through IVIG treatments and such, I would think that it doesn't hurt for you, the parent, to get tested, but really don't know. What kind of "scared" me about it is that it is described as "smoldering". A person can have contracted it for 20 days and just be showing symptoms.

As for why PANDAS kids may be non-symptomatic with it...well, compare it to PANDAS kids and strep. A very high number do not get symptoms. Most "non PANDAS people" get over strep w/ amoxicillan. Not the case for PANDAS. So, for Mycroplasma P, most people get over it w/ Zith. Maybe it's not the case w/ PANDAS kids. Or docs don't know how long the infection has been either and perhaps Biaxin is much stronger than Zith.

So...

Amox is to Zith/Augmentin for PANDAS as Zith is to Biaxin for Mycroplasma P? Anyone know if this is the case?

Also, w/ PANDAS kids, a very high number are non-symptomatic w/ strep. Other parents will tell stories, how their child has allergies w/o physical symptoms or other illness w /o textbook symptoms. So, I don't see why we should necessarily be surprised if it's the case w/ Mycroplasma P as well.

As for PANDAS symptoms, well, if Mycroplasma P is the original trigger, I would think the child is more PITANDS. If the child's original trigger was strep and now reacts to Mycroplasma as well...well most kids do react to other things like viruses, infections, etc...so I don't think I would be surprised if Mycroplasma P would be a trigger too.

Bat Sheva Myllys has been dealing with Mycroplasma P and her daughter for awhile. She's busy and doesn't check the forum often. I'll pm her and ask her to join in on this if she has the time. Maybe she can share what she has learned.

I have one of those "no outward symptoms" kids. Both the strep of middle school and the myco p of this exacerbation have been completely and utterly without classic symptom presentation. How to handle the fact that is often sick without noticeable signs (until things are really bad) is what we'll be working on down the road. Right now my main objective is getting this myco p out of his system and seeing if we need to address the slightly elevated ASO titer we had this time.

I should mention, he slept 9 hours last night instead of the usual 12. Way less throat clearing at bedtime and no apparent anxiety though it did still take him til nearly 1a to fall asleep. Today is day 3 of Biaxin and half dose of steroids.