ACN Latitudes Forums

Any mycoplasma successes out there?

So, those who have not had success with abx like Augmentin, but go onto to have success with Zith....do you think a good number of them also had mycroplasma in addition to their strep and that is the main reason why the Augmentin did not work as oppose to so many cases of intracellular strep?

That's the first thing I thought of. Further, we tried Azith before Augmentin. 9 days of 500mg followed by 8 days of 750mg and saw no real change. It's too soon to tell with the Biaxin but I think a big gun is needed sometimes...maybe for the older kids?

Labwork back on my ds16 and a big surprise. ASO at 209 (last exacerbation ASO 769) and perfectly normal AntiDNAse at 1:170. What we've got is myco p IgM at 918 with a range topping at 770 and IgG at 462 and a normal range topping at 320. We've shifted from augmentin 1000mg xr (for 16 days) to Biaxin and a 5 day dose pack.

Has anyone had success in symptom reduction when treating specifically for mycoplasma. I would sure love to share a success story with my son whose been kicked around by this condition for half of the last 8 yrs old his life.

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

This is more of a question really. I have tried to figure out from prior posts but did not find...If a child has been dealing with PANDAS symptoms for a long time, as in our case like 5 years, could it have been from mycoplasma all along? Are we saying that a child could get mycoplasma and it was never caught and treated so that is why they continue with symptoms off and on? And if you test now, it will show past infection?

Labwork back on my ds16 and a big surprise. ASO at 209 (last exacerbation ASO 769) and perfectly normal AntiDNAse at 1:170. What we've got is myco p IgM at 918 with a range topping at 770 and IgG at 462 and a normal range topping at 320. We've shifted from augmentin 1000mg xr (for 16 days) to Biaxin and a 5 day dose pack.

Has anyone had success in symptom reduction when treating specifically for mycoplasma. I would sure love to share a success story with my son whose been kicked around by this condition for half of the last 8 yrs old his life.

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

This is more of a question really. I have tried to figure out from prior posts but did not find...If a child has been dealing with PANDAS symptoms for a long time, as in our case like 5 years, could it have been from mycoplasma all along? Are we saying that a child could get mycoplasma and it was never caught and treated so that is why they continue with symptoms off and on? And if you test now, it will show past infection?

Vickie: There were 7 days when Azith 750mg (once daily) and Augmentin 1000mg XR (twice daily) coincided. We saw a little blip of improvement a day or so into the Augmentin but it was very slight and faded quickly. The big eating disturbances happened after that. His labs showed ASO of 206 with a top range of 145 so I'm praying that the 16 days of Augmentin were enough to take care of that leaving us with mycoplasma to deal with. Dr. T knew prior to putting him on Augmentin that he had been on Azith 500mg and told us to continue on for 10 days or so at 750mg. When he started to decline after a few days, I suspected it was either yeast or him unsuccessfully adapting to both abx at the same time. Dr. T agreed to d/c Azith at that point. We've been treating for yeast with Fluconazole 100mg all along at least once per day, sometimes twice when I can get enough food in him.

As far as whether he could have had a mycoplasma through his other exacerbations, I have no idea. In elementary school he was completely undiagnosed, more tics same horrible anxiety and panic. Middle school was diagnosed but only after 6 really bad months and even then wasn't treated with high dose abx. We tested strep titers from the info I found online (NIH and such) but never thought to test for other pathogens and neither did the DAN! doc we were seeing. So, it's hard to tell looking back if he had one pathogen and multiple pathogens. All we know for sure is that 4 years ago he had high strep titers and all of the symptoms he currently has now with low strep titers and positive myco p.

It's a puzzle.

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

Vickie: There were 7 days when Azith 750mg (once daily) and Augmentin 1000mg XR (twice daily) coincided. We saw a little blip of improvement a day or so into the Augmentin but it was very slight and faded quickly. The big eating disturbances happened after that. His labs showed ASO of 206 with a top range of 145 so I'm praying that the 16 days of Augmentin were enough to take care of that leaving us with mycoplasma to deal with. Dr. T knew prior to putting him on Augmentin that he had been on Azith 500mg and told us to continue on for 10 days or so at 750mg. When he started to decline after a few days, I suspected it was either yeast or him unsuccessfully adapting to both abx at the same time. Dr. T agreed to d/c Azith at that point. We've been treating for yeast with Fluconazole 100mg all along at least once per day, sometimes twice when I can get enough food in him.

As far as whether he could have had a mycoplasma through his other exacerbations, I have no idea. In elementary school he was completely undiagnosed, more tics same horrible anxiety and panic. Middle school was diagnosed but only after 6 really bad months and even then wasn't treated with high dose abx. We tested strep titers from the info I found online (NIH and such) but never thought to test for other pathogens and neither did the DAN! doc we were seeing. So, it's hard to tell looking back if he had one pathogen and multiple pathogens. All we know for sure is that 4 years ago he had high strep titers and all of the symptoms he currently has now with low strep titers and positive myco p.

It's a puzzle.

Oh, and just to muddy the waters a little more, during the first months of the middle school exacerbation prior to actual diagnosis we were, at the insistence of our beloved school district, dragging his kicking and screaming little body into that school everyday. It's completely possible that the strep is something he picked up after his decline, secondary to whatever caused this in the first place. We look back at titers and say it was strep but given this new info and timeline, I have to wonder if the strep last time wasn't simply a co-infection he picked up during high strep season while we were still dragging him into the school in his horribly compromised state. ugh.

I just want to clarify that we are all talking about Mycroplasma Pneumonia? I think someone said the word "Mycroplasma" by itself is something different? If it's Mycroplasma Pneumonia, I think a child can have it and it's never caught. When a child does exhibit symptoms, it's a cough, sometimes accompanied by a fever. Technically, I think a person can eventually rid themself of Mycroplasma Pneumonia even if they do not go on abx, but I guess that's that is not always the case. As we see with PANDAS and strep, these kids do not fit the norm when it comes to bacteria and symptoms so I don't think we should be surprised if they can be non-symptomatic with Myco P or if their bodies somehow adjust to it and they stop showing symptoms. Even if the person is symptomatic, the cough often associated with it may not even appear for 20 days afte being infected.

I just want to clarify that we are all talking about Mycroplasma Pneumonia? I think someone said the word "Mycroplasma" by itself is something different? If it's Mycroplasma Pneumonia, I think a child can have it and it's never caught. When a child does exhibit symptoms, it's a cough, sometimes accompanied by a fever. Technically, I think a person can eventually rid themself of Mycroplasma Pneumonia even if they do not go on abx, but I guess that's that is not always the case. As we see with PANDAS and strep, these kids do not fit the norm when it comes to bacteria and symptoms so I don't think we should be surprised if they can be non-symptomatic with Myco P or if their bodies somehow adjust to it and they stop showing symptoms. Even if the person is symptomatic, the cough often associated with it may not even appear for 20 days afte being infected.

Mycoplasma pneumoniae in the case of my son's labs.

Im interested in Mycoplasma pneumoniae .My sons level is high.(Dr T tested this for danny also)

So can biaxan cure this bacteria? If there arent any symptoms like coughing etc and you test high does that cause some of the PANDAS cases?

Whats the point of knowing the these levels? cAN THIS BE "CURED"?

Melanie

Snow Bound In NJ

This is just my opinion...I would think, like strep, it could be erradicated. Just for some people it may be more difficult, like strep is for some PANDAS kids. My non PANDAS son was dx with it and he only got a 5 day script of Zithromax. So, I guess for most people it is easily erradicated? He did have a cough. But PANDAS kids are different.I remember reading in one of threads that either strep or the Mycroplasma P is more difficult to erradicate when both infections are present? Does anyone else remember reading something like that?

Something I'd like to know is whether other family members should be tested like we all do when a PANDAS child has strep. Mycroplasma Pneumonia is contagious. Also, if the theory is that these kids did have the symptoms at one time and went undiagnosed then morphed into non-symptomatic or whether the child was always non-symptomatic (like some PANDAS kids are w/ strep). I guess that would be hard to know. I would think every child had a bad cough at some point or another in the scheme of their life.

Melanie, in Dr T's original post about Mycroplasma, he did state that IVIG would help erradicate it as well. So, since your son had IVIG, that should help too.

Dear Parents,

I have just encountered two cases of acute sneezing tics in which there was acute (markedly elevated IgM) Mycoplasma infection plus possible strep co-infection. Mycoplasma responds to zithromax specifically and not other antibiotics ...as well as IVIG. So I'm certainly considering this in the differential diagnosis of PANDAS-like illnesses.

I wonder if there is some sort of interaction between Mycoplasma and Strep at the immunological level ....

Have any of your children been tested for this ....

Sorry for the short post --- very very busy today

Dr. T

[so if you take the antibiotic Biaxin does it clear up the infection and maybe some PANDAS symptoms

[so if you take the antibiotic Biaxin does it clear up the infection and maybe some PANDAS symptoms

We'll see, I suppose. This kid is having the best day he's had in the better part of a month. The biaxin is specifically to treat mycoplasma. I don't know if it is particularly useful for strep. I do know that Azith can work for both strep and myco p but in my son, his 17 days of azith didn't seem to produce a result and certainly nothing like what we've seen so far today. We also started a 5 day dose pack (which we are doing about about half strength due to his sensitivity to stimulating meds) so I know that, too, may be to credit for his good day...or it could just be a good day. We'll see how things go tomorrow. I'm just so thankful that Dr. T tested him for this and the other pathogens. He had no symptoms that could even remotely be considered pneumonia prior to or during this exacerbation so we would have never thought about myco p had we not tested for it.