ACN Latitudes Forums

Any mycoplasma successes out there?

Labwork back on my ds16 and a big surprise. ASO at 209 (last exacerbation ASO 769) and perfectly normal AntiDNAse at 1:170. What we've got is myco p IgM at 918 with a range topping at 770 and IgG at 462 and a normal range topping at 320. We've shifted from augmentin 1000mg xr (for 16 days) to Biaxin and a 5 day dose pack.

Has anyone had success in symptom reduction when treating specifically for mycoplasma. I would sure love to share a success story with my son whose been kicked around by this condition for half of the last 8 yrs old his life.

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

Labwork back on my ds16 and a big surprise. ASO at 209 (last exacerbation ASO 769) and perfectly normal AntiDNAse at 1:170. What we've got is myco p IgM at 918 with a range topping at 770 and IgG at 462 and a normal range topping at 320. We've shifted from augmentin 1000mg xr (for 16 days) to Biaxin and a 5 day dose pack.

Has anyone had success in symptom reduction when treating specifically for mycoplasma. I would sure love to share a success story with my son whose been kicked around by this condition for half of the last 8 yrs old his life.

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

Are you saying you ASO isn't elevated, and you have mycoplasma only?

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

Are you saying you ASO isn't elevated, and you have mycoplasma only?

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

Dr. T seems to think it's mycoplasma only this time. We weren't seeing much of anything with a "Sammy" dose of Augmentin for 16 days. Labs just finally all came back and mycoplasma is a surprise and brought about the therapy change. His ASO is a little elevated, so I don't know if we should be treating that too. Myco p was more out of range than ASO.

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

I believe Dr T routinely screens for mycoplasma now. Thank God he did, too. My sons symptoms are EXACTLY the same as his middle school exacerbation. We never tested mycoplasma then but we do know his strep titers were very high.

Augmentin will not touch mycoplasma. Azith and Biaxin are abx choices for this. We're hoping for some sign of relief in the next couple days, anything to show we are finally on the right track. It took forever to get all of his labs assembled so we've been throwing a good deal of augmentin into him which he's tolerated pretty well but certainly wasn't helping with his appetite and refusal to eat.

We're the proof that different organisms can produce an exacerbation, in at least this kid, just like PANDAS.

Gat's mom

Here's a success story from the literature that I just dug out of my trove of references. There are probably more, but this one was clear-cut and handy.

J Child Neurol. 2008 Mar;23(3):338-40. Epub 2007 Dec 13.

Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection and obsessive-compulsive disease: a case report.

Ercan TE, Ercan G, Severge B, Arpaozu M, Karasu G.

Maltepe University Medical Faculty, Department of Pediatrics, Ataturk Cad. Cam Sok. No 3, Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey. tugbaerener@yahoo.com

It has been demonstrated that obsessive-compulsive disease and/or tic syndromes in children may be triggered by an antecedent infection especially with group A beta-hemolytic streptococci, and this subgroup of children has been designated by the acronym PANDAS (pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections). Other infectious agents such as viruses and bacteria have also been reported to be associated with the acute onset or dramatic exacerbation of obsessive-compulsive disease or Tourette syndrome, and another acronym, PITAND (pediatric infection-triggered autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder) has appeared in the literature. The involvement of other infectious agents such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae has been described in single case reports. We describe a case of a 5.5-year-old boy who suddenly developed obsessive-compulsive disease symptoms during a M. pneumoniae pneumonia. After treatment with oral clarithromycin, all his obsessive-compulsive disease symptoms disappeared. To our knowledge, this is the first report that shows the association between Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection and obsessive-compulsive disease.

PMID: 18079308 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

p.s. These Turkish dudes seem to be on to something. For some reason it seems that I see a lot of PANDAS papers coming out of Turkey.

Here's a success story from the literature that I just dug out of my trove of references. There are probably more, but this one was clear-cut and handy.

J Child Neurol. 2008 Mar;23(3):338-40. Epub 2007 Dec 13.

Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection and obsessive-compulsive disease: a case report.

Ercan TE, Ercan G, Severge B, Arpaozu M, Karasu G.

Maltepe University Medical Faculty, Department of Pediatrics, Ataturk Cad. Cam Sok. No 3, Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey. tugbaerener@yahoo.com

It has been demonstrated that obsessive-compulsive disease and/or tic syndromes in children may be triggered by an antecedent infection especially with group A beta-hemolytic streptococci, and this subgroup of children has been designated by the acronym PANDAS (pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections). Other infectious agents such as viruses and bacteria have also been reported to be associated with the acute onset or dramatic exacerbation of obsessive-compulsive disease or Tourette syndrome, and another acronym, PITAND (pediatric infection-triggered autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder) has appeared in the literature. The involvement of other infectious agents such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae has been described in single case reports. We describe a case of a 5.5-year-old boy who suddenly developed obsessive-compulsive disease symptoms during a M. pneumoniae pneumonia. After treatment with oral clarithromycin, all his obsessive-compulsive disease symptoms disappeared. To our knowledge, this is the first report that shows the association between Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection and obsessive-compulsive disease.

PMID: 18079308 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

But no physical "sick" symptoms - right? Like an a-symptomatic strep? By the way, when discussing PANDAS with a friend, she told me her son developed sudden OCD while he had, guess what - pneumonia. Her son started obsessively writing down the time on the clock every few minutes in a notebook, even in the middle of the night. He was, of course, treated with antibiotics for the pneumonia and this OCD symptom disappeared and has never returned.

quote name='Gat'sMom' date='Feb 9 2010, 10:28 PM' post='55442']

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

I believe Dr T routinely screens for mycoplasma now. Thank God he did, too. My sons symptoms are EXACTLY the same as his middle school exacerbation. We never tested mycoplasma then but we do know his strep titers were very high.

Augmentin will not touch mycoplasma. Azith and Biaxin are abx choices for this. We're hoping for some sign of relief in the next couple days, anything to show we are finally on the right track. It took forever to get all of his labs assembled so we've been throwing a good deal of augmentin into him which he's tolerated pretty well but certainly wasn't helping with his appetite and refusal to eat.

We're the proof that different organisms can produce an exacerbation, in at least this kid, just like PANDAS.

Gat's mom

Thanks very much!

Gat's mom

You guys are great, thank you so much.

In late fall (always late fall) I started to see some ominous small signs. There was no measurable illness preceeding it. He was already fading fast, then over new years he got a 24 hour bug and all &*^% broke loose after that and that's where we've remained. Typical disease course for him. I'd have bet my house that his strep titers were going to be very high, the presentation is exactly the same as his last exacerbations.

I have no clue what to make of this but today (after 3 doses of Biaxin and only half the prescribed amount of yesterdays steroid) he was up and wide awake at 7:30 this morning...and grumpy because he said it was too light in his room to go back to sleep. I beg to differ. I wake him out of a sound sleep around that time each day to get his first probiotics into him and he rolls right over and goes back to sleep. He's been sleeping 12 hours everyday for weeks now. Hard, deep sleeps that are difficult for him to wake from. He has a really hard time falling asleep at night and it was nearly 1a before he was out last night. Even after 6 hours of sleep, he looks more clear and focused and his color looks better than in days. I'm electing to go light on the steroids because he is so sensitive to anything stimulating right now. There are others (first cousins of mine) for whom steroid use can trigger panic attacks, a fact I didn't know until giving one the daily update about Gatlin. Further, he's hungrier so far today than he's been in two weeks.

God love the Turks or anyone else who puts time into this research! Thank you so much for the links and any other pearl of wisdom that comes to you that you can share with me (and know that I often reduce them down to a sentence or two and throw them at him as another encouraging fact)

Gat's mom

very, very good news that it seems to be having a positive effect!

gat's mom - if i may ask -- was this your first appt with dr. T? did you do the bloodwork prior to the visit or on his order? was it only strep titers and mycoplasma or full immune workup? is that a blood test? is it only a 5 day abx and then nothing?

so am i correct that your thought now is that you were trying to go after strep as the root cause and we seeing no effect b/c that wasn't the problem, the abx you were using is effect against strep but not mycoplasma, and now are hopeful b/c you're going after the correct bacteria?

very, very good news that it seems to be having a positive effect!

gat's mom - if i may ask -- was this your first appt with dr. T? did you do the bloodwork prior to the visit or on his order? was it only strep titers and mycoplasma or full immune workup? is that a blood test? is it only a 5 day abx and then nothing?

so am i correct that your thought now is that you were trying to go after strep as the root cause and we seeing no effect b/c that wasn't the problem, the abx you were using is effect against strep but not mycoplasma, and now are hopeful b/c you're going after the correct bacteria?

That is my thought ...that we were treating for strep (which historically we had) while waiting for labs to come in only to find a high mycoplasma which necessitated an abx change as Dr T said mycoplasma will never respond to augmenting (penicillins and cyclosporins).

My hope is (and the math of it all would support it) that we're now treating the actual bacteria he has. His ASO was a little elevated so I don't know if that will be addressed in time or not. Clearly our biggest prob right now is mycoplasma. This was our first appt with Dr. T. It was done in the form of a phone consult. We can't get my son in the car to drive to town right now, traveling to NJ from TN absolutely could not occur. The mycoplasma panel was one of 8 tests that Dr. T ordered (which included ASO, AntiDNAse, Streptozyme). I believe he was trying to rule out Lyme, Epstein Barr too. ASO was high, myco p IgG & IgM were high. Quantitative IgG & IgM were high.

Gat's on 10 days to start of Biaxin but there are refills and I think even if we had a remarkable recovery in 10 days, we'd be looking at some kind of additional therapy. He is a very sick kid. The steroid burst is scheduled for 5 days. Gat has been an advil responder all along, so I'm happy to finally be trying steroids though we're going about them a little slow.

Even beyond his work as our physician, I can't say enough about Dr. T as researcher and man truly concerned about the welfare of our kids. He doesn't have to do any of it, he could turn a blind eye to it like so many do. We've gone from no doc for the better part of 8 years who would listen or understand to one of the true experts, so despite the current state of our lives, I'm forever reminded of that blessing.

Hope that helps.

So, those who have not had success with abx like Augmentin, but go onto to have success with Zith....do you think a good number of them also had mycroplasma in addition to their strep and that is the main reason why the Augmentin did not work as oppose to so many cases of intracellular strep?