ACN Latitudes Forums

Help! (from those who've already done Cunningham lab)

I was fortunate that my pediatrician agreed to do it... I think the only people who had labs do it were people who kinda had a good relationship with the lab tech already.

Hi there,

I just got back from LabCorp here in Knoxville, TN. I had my Cunningham kit, with all the papers, instructions, etc. Unfortunately, they said they don't "do stuff like that." The gentleman went on to say that they only do things that will be sent to LabCorp...

I guess I thought that I'd read that someone else on this forum had gone to LabCorp... not sure.

For those that have already done the blood draw... where did you have it done?? Did you do it through your local doctor? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Karen

A while back we had a blood test ran for some food sensitivities which had to be sent away and our pediatrician's office did the blood draw for us. Could you check with your dr to see if they would do it?

Hi there,

I just got back from LabCorp here in Knoxville, TN. I had my Cunningham kit, with all the papers, instructions, etc. Unfortunately, they said they don't "do stuff like that." The gentleman went on to say that they only do things that will be sent to LabCorp...

I guess I thought that I'd read that someone else on this forum had gone to LabCorp... not sure.

For those that have already done the blood draw... where did you have it done?? Did you do it through your local doctor? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Karen

I was fortunate that my pediatrician agreed to do it... I think the only people who had labs do it were people who kinda had a good relationship with the lab tech already.

This was the case for me. My pediatrician's office doesn't do blood draws, but we have a good relationship with the phlebotomist who usually draws my daughter's blood. She agreed to draw the extra vials and spin them out for me when we were in for a regular, doctor ordered draw.

We went to the lab at our local hospital. The only issue they had was trying to figure out the proper way to bill for doing the draw. They performed the blood draw, spun it and even packaged it for me. From there I went straight Kinkos to FedEx it back. They were very nice and helpful. Good luck!!!

Hi there,

Thanks!

- Karen

We had such a horrible time trying to get it done. Finally, the blood draw at the hospital did it, but it took my dr. speaking to them on the phone while we were there for them to agree to do it. As we were leaving I asked them if they needed any insurance info and they told me "you were never here"

It's quite possible no one will do it without you footing the bill.

My Dan doctor had his own lab which did it, then they sent it to LabCorp for processing. Not uncommon.

If you can, try to get an order for conventional blood work like strep titers. Then while the staff is doing that, sidle up to the technician and ask for a couple extra vials of blood to be drawn. Might be the way to go.

We asked our pediatrician to fax over a general requisition for a blood draw to our local blood lab. There was no diagnostic code for billing, just a request for blood draw to be provided to patient using patient provided vials. That's all the lab needed - a doctor's request.

We didn't run it through insurance. We told the lab technician we'd pay it out of pocket. She thought it would be about $15 for just a draw. But we never got a bill. I suspect since there was no code for just drawing blood, she had no way to run it through the system. By the time we finished telling our story and why we where there, I think she felt bad for us and may not have even tried to bill it. She spun it for us as well.

A couple ideas:

1 - I went to an outpatient center that I had been treated at. They probably remembered me, but probably would have done it anyway. I told them it was for a research study on Tourette's and infectious diseases and how they relate. When they heard that, they really wanted to help. In places like that, because of EMF's, I also wear a black fedora hat and yellow sunglasses and perhaps that makes me look a little bit more like someone they would want to help. They spun it and everything, no charge. Didn't even have a doctor's prescription.

2 - Granite Labs does blood draws in my area for $15. Their typical business is to send to Quest or LabCorp, but I'm sure they would do it, but would need a doctor's prescription. They may be in your area as well.

Michael

we had some issues as well. most labs at hospitals are use to sending blood out--check with your lab at your hospital--you may need an order from doc stating venipuncture for lab draw.

Deanna

We went to my doctor (who has a lab on-site). He did it for me and charged for a "blood draw" - $25, even though my dd was not a patient there. Perhaps you have a doctor's office that has a lab on site that would just charge for a "blood draw"? They don't have to do any testing, so really all they have to provide is the person to draw the blood and then spin it for you.