ACN Latitudes Forums

Poll: Do your kids react just to strep, to strep plus...

Triggers  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Please indicate which of the following trigger episodes/behavior changes for your PANDAS kids

• Just Strep
    • Strep + other infections
    • Strep + other infections + allergens/other triggers
    • Infections other than Strep (and NOT including Strep)
    • Other (specify)

It said I voted...I didn't!

Anyway, strep+infection+allergies/other triggers

I'm experiencing something interesting with my son. When he was recovering from strep triggered exacerbations, things like allergies would be a big trigger for him, along with stress, viruses, etc. Lately, it seems his "other-non-strep" triggers seem to be easing up. In last few months he has had H1N1, viruses,we think allergies due to dust mites, and a sinus infection that lasted over a month. Whatever PANDAS that did surface was very minor, if anything. I am hoping the further we get from that last strep infection (Mar 2009) we see less PANDAS surface from other triggers. That's what I think is happening, but not sure.

I do believe if he contracts strep again, we will go through a very bad exacerbation again and be back to square one.

Yes, likewise. Not full-on exacerbations but noticeable mood, sensory, voice/eye changes. (Noticeable to me anyway, his teacher hasn't noticed it.)

In the past my son has reacted when I had strep even though his test was negative so I think he just has to be around someone with strep to have a reaction and not even have to have the infection himself!

My daughter has had 3 occasions when she clearly reacted to someone else having strep. All three times, she had a rough day or two, I would start thinking "oh no- I hope this isn't an episode"- the next day I would find out a classmate has strep, and then she would be fine. It would usually be a 3 day episode, with mostly irritability, fatigue, and overall not looking well.

Exactly the same with us except that it happens every couple of months (due to ds6's best friend's recurrent strep), and it lasts less than a day. He gets the same dark circles under the eyes and exactly the other stuff that you describe. I can always predict when his friend will be absent from school the next day by ds6's condition the day before.

My daughter has had 3 occasions when she clearly reacted to someone else having strep. All three times, she had a rough day or two, I would start thinking "oh no- I hope this isn't an episode"- the next day I would find out a classmate has strep, and then she would be fine. It would usually be a 3 day episode, with mostly irritability, fatigue, and overall not looking well.

Our daughter never reacted with other infections until her PANDAS started after a strep infection. During her strep recovery, her sinus infections would set off additional behaviors. Now that symptoms are minimal, colds and other infection have not set it off. They recently had a strep outbreak at school and we convinced our ENT to put her on Augmentin to protect her. We noticed that just the exposure caused a small increase in behaviors.