ACN Latitudes Forums

Amazing Result! Unplugged Cordless / Wireless Lyme & tics

Sorry, I have a dumb question here... are we talking just unplugging the cordless and wirelss stuff, is that enough. If you have wireless computer, is the EMF only a problem when it is in use? do you have to turn the computer completely off? is that enough or is the wireless all around us anyway? :blink:

thanks

Faith

Sorry, I have a dumb question here... are we talking just unplugging the cordless and wirelss stuff, is that enough. If you have wireless computer, is the EMF only a problem when it is in use? do you have to turn the computer completely off? is that enough or is the wireless all around us anyway? :)

thanks

Faith

Faith,

Yes, it is a bit of a complicated topic to get into. EMF's as a general term, relate to what comes from any electrical device. If your house is wired with A/C (which basically everyone's is, unless they've had it very specially built), you can turn off all the lights and even unplug every device from the wall, and there will still be EMF's spewing out from the wiring leading to all the outlets. This A/C (alternating current) works very hard, going back and forth, trying to be always ready for you. But, it does increase when you turn stuff on. And, more electricity flows, and more EMF's generated, just by having things plugged in, even if turned off. That's all EMF's generally.

But, in the wireless category, EMF's of a specific range of frequencies, are called microwaves and are used to cook food or communicate using cellphones or wireless computers. For some magic reason known only to the people who make laws and buy goods, it is important that microwaves not leak because they can seriously harm you. But, magically, when used for communication, they are perfectly safe, absolutely no problem at all. :blink::wacko::huh: Anyhow, from my measuring device, some cellphones, when on, are constantly emitting microwaves, like they are constantly sending communication. Others seem not to. I can see needing to receive communication (to know if call is coming), but that doesn't require sending microwaves. Computers set for wireless will have a switch or button to turn it off or on, and when it's on, it is always sending microwaves when the computer is on. I learned this the hard way before I was sure microwaves were a problem for me, and my company gave me a new laptop to replace the older one. It took a while of discussing with others to figure out what was causing all the headaches, but the solution was easy to turn the switch off and keep it there.

Cellphones and wireless computers are the most commonly discussed items. But there are lots of other devices, like security systems, bug-killing devices, a few others mentioned in this thread I believe, people continue to be creative in using these things. You really have to kind of think about what technology you have and how it could do its job without SENDING communication through the air. Satellite dishes are no problem, because they are just RECEIVING wireless, and then normally hooked into the home/TV via cables. Of course, the other reality is, you get them here and there when you drive by the street. There are some cities like this, no matter where you are, you've got it. And if you have a neighbor, particularly if you live in an apartment, using wireless, particularly a computer network which even for individuals is getting more popular, then you can get it just because you're close. That's the beauty and problem of these things--they don't have boundaries, they just travel. There is always shielding in these cases. To really know what you're getting, what you have, you can buy a measuring device, I got mine at lessemf.com, they are great to speak to over the phone, to help through so many choices and confusion. A first step might be just to try shutting down the obvious items in your own home and seeing what happens.

Michael

Michael:

thanks for the excellent explanation -- and clarifying the diffent types of emf (wireless devices; and general electrical current and appliances). Don't forget the power lines leading into a person's house.

I have ordered a meter to measure our house, and am waiting to receive it. I'm very curious to see where the hot spots are! Most particularly, I'm worried about my daughter's bedroom, and may go ahead as suggested by someone else and flip the breaker at night to shut off the power to her room. I'm also going to check with our next door neighbors to see if they are running a wireless router at night.

I think given all the various exposures we encounter during the day, our sleep environment should be as much of a sanctuary as possible to allow our body to heal and restore itself as it is meant to during sleep. And by exposures, I don't just mean emf's, but toxins of all kinds.

Michael:

thanks for the excellent explanation -- and clarifying the diffent types of emf (wireless devices; and general electrical current and appliances). Don't forget the power lines leading into a person's house.

I have ordered a meter to measure our house, and am waiting to receive it. I'm very curious to see where the hot spots are! Most particularly, I'm worried about my daughter's bedroom, and may go ahead as suggested by someone else and flip the breaker at night to shut off the power to her room. I'm also going to check with our next door neighbors to see if they are running a wireless router at night.

I think given all the various exposures we encounter during the day, our sleep environment should be as much of a sanctuary as possible to allow our body to heal and restore itself as it is meant to during sleep. And by exposures, I don't just mean emf's, but toxins of all kinds.

I agree. While I can't control what he's exposed to in the community, I would think it would be so beneficial to contain exposure while he sleeps and hopefully make it easier for his body to do the healing its trying to do.

Hello,

I only post here occasionally (I should do more!), but I continue to find this forum, and all of your advice, to be invaluable.

I just wanted to post about a change we have made that has affected my daughter’s behavior quite dramatically (her background below). And I am curious to hear others experience’s / comments. (I will post on both Tourette’s and Pandas forums).

About 10 days ago I disconnected/unplugged our home cordless telephone system. I did this because sadly another friend of mine has developed terminal brain cancer and I decided to go back and use the “old fashioned” corded phones only (and severely limit cell use). We also only very occasionally turn on a wireless router. Anyway, after several days I realized that my daughter was no longer having her daily (or multi-times daily) rage and anger outbursts. I mean NONE. This has never happened, and it completely coincides with our unplugging the cordless phone (which she used to sit near in the kitchen area). She has been the most complacent and sweet natured kid EVERY DAY. I can not tell you how amazing this is. For myself and my husband, we can say we notice that we feel “better/calmer” in some slight way, but for my daughter the change has been dramatic.

I see that there have been a couple of other posts here about EMF (electromagnetic field) sensitivity, and I have been researching extensively since noticing a correlation. Apparently EMF creates an opening in the blood brain barrier. They disrupt neurocognitive functioning, disrupt neurotransmitters (serotonin etc.). People who are chemically sensitive are likewise more sensitive to EMFs.

Please let me know what your experiences may be.

Also, please consider unplugging your cordless phones, home wireless systems and turning off cell phones in the house for a few days and see what reactions your or your children have.

Thanks for reading!

[background---- my daughter is nearly 8yo. She’s had a long battle with lyme disease that’s left her with a propensity for tics and OCD. She goes through periods tic-free, but at other times they return to varying degrees. We’ve been on long term antibiotics, but are off now. She’s quite chemically sensitive, and we have great luck when we really watch her diet and limit as much toxic exposure as possible.]

Does anyone know if merely unplugging my wireless router from the electricity in the wall is enough at night?

Many thanks

Does anyone know if merely unplugging my wireless router from the electricity in the wall is enough at night?

Many thanks

The interesting thing about your question to me is, it reminds me of how being sensitive to these things as I have been for so many years puts me out of touch in how these things actually work, in that I've been avoiding them. What devices are involved in your setup? If it's just computers and the wireless router, then I think you'll have it covered when you address them. I'd want to make sure the wireless router wasn't sending out any signals. If it has no power, it can't do that, so sounds like that'll work as long it doesn't also have a backup battery. Computers set up for wireless also send out signals if they are left on, unless you flip the switch telling it to not do wireless. Are you using one of these hookups from a phone line or cable line? Is there a connection from those lines to the wireless router, or is the router the connection? That's where, never having seen one, I don't know, but if there is a third piece in the setup, you might want to disconnect it, or find out (from a knowledgeable source or from a meter) that it is harmless.

Michael

Many thanks

The interesting thing about your question to me is, it reminds me of how being sensitive to these things as I have been for so many years puts me out of touch in how these things actually work, in that I've been avoiding them. What devices are involved in your setup? If it's just computers and the wireless router, then I think you'll have it covered when you address them. I'd want to make sure the wireless router wasn't sending out any signals. If it has no power, it can't do that, so sounds like that'll work as long it doesn't also have a backup battery. Computers set up for wireless also send out signals if they are left on, unless you flip the switch telling it to not do wireless. Are you using one of these hookups from a phone line or cable line? Is there a connection from those lines to the wireless router, or is the router the connection? That's where, never having seen one, I don't know, but if there is a third piece in the setup, you might want to disconnect it, or find out (from a knowledgeable source or from a meter) that it is harmless.

Michael

No battery backup to my router. Unplugging it from the wall shuts the thing down completely and there is no wireless access in the house except in one spot in the living room where we can pick up a neighbors. I make him charge his computer now in the living room (about as far from his room as possible). Last night I threw the breaker to his room after he was asleep. He was none the wiser that his phone was not actually charging as he thought it was. He has a dimmer switch on his ceiling fan but its the kind that snaps all the way to an off position so I'm hoping that's ok. My guess is that kid was exposed to less emf's last night then he has been in a long time. It certainly won't do him any harm and hopefully it will help deliver some relief. Thanks for your input, Michael.

Sorry, I have a dumb question here... are we talking just unplugging the cordless and wirelss stuff, is that enough. If you have wireless computer, is the EMF only a problem when it is in use? do you have to turn the computer completely off? is that enough or is the wireless all around us anyway? ^_^

thanks

Faith

Faith,

Yes, it is a bit of a complicated topic to get into. EMF's as a general term, relate to what comes from any electrical device. If your house is wired with A/C (which basically everyone's is, unless they've had it very specially built), you can turn off all the lights and even unplug every device from the wall, and there will still be EMF's spewing out from the wiring leading to all the outlets. This A/C (alternating current) works very hard, going back and forth, trying to be always ready for you. But, it does increase when you turn stuff on. And, more electricity flows, and more EMF's generated, just by having things plugged in, even if turned off. That's all EMF's generally.

But, in the wireless category, EMF's of a specific range of frequencies, are called microwaves and are used to cook food or communicate using cellphones or wireless computers. For some magic reason known only to the people who make laws and buy goods, it is important that microwaves not leak because they can seriously harm you. But, magically, when used for communication, they are perfectly safe, absolutely no problem at all. :blink::):huh: Anyhow, from my measuring device, some cellphones, when on, are constantly emitting microwaves, like they are constantly sending communication. Others seem not to. I can see needing to receive communication (to know if call is coming), but that doesn't require sending microwaves. Computers set for wireless will have a switch or button to turn it off or on, and when it's on, it is always sending microwaves when the computer is on. I learned this the hard way before I was sure microwaves were a problem for me, and my company gave me a new laptop to replace the older one. It took a while of discussing with others to figure out what was causing all the headaches, but the solution was easy to turn the switch off and keep it there.

Cellphones and wireless computers are the most commonly discussed items. But there are lots of other devices, like security systems, bug-killing devices, a few others mentioned in this thread I believe, people continue to be creative in using these things. You really have to kind of think about what technology you have and how it could do its job without SENDING communication through the air. Satellite dishes are no problem, because they are just RECEIVING wireless, and then normally hooked into the home/TV via cables. Of course, the other reality is, you get them here and there when you drive by the street. There are some cities like this, no matter where you are, you've got it. And if you have a neighbor, particularly if you live in an apartment, using wireless, particularly a computer network which even for individuals is getting more popular, then you can get it just because you're close. That's the beauty and problem of these things--they don't have boundaries, they just travel. There is always shielding in these cases. To really know what you're getting, what you have, you can buy a measuring device, I got mine at lessemf.com, they are great to speak to over the phone, to help through so many choices and confusion. A first step might be just to try shutting down the obvious items in your own home and seeing what happens.

Michael

Thanks Michael for that post, I just turned the computer thingy "off" Also, I orderer an EMF meter from Amazon, I'll let you all know how it works...

I noticed the new issue of Latitudes Online Magazine has a piece related to microwaves too

kids are surrounded by so much that is "off" for their developing neurological systems, and then add in all the garbage that comes in via artificial=chemical everything in food and surroundings.. :lol:

this is such a very valuable discussion that is often overlooked yet surrounds them all the time!

I cringe when I see the ads for those "cool" docking stations....mats and such where all their stuff like ipods and cell phones and more can hook in at night to charge up! :huh:

• 3 months later...

Well, it took a long time but here I am reporting on my findings...

I got the cheap EMF tester from Amazon and tested the whole house.

Good news first... most walls and light switches show nothing when off, and most switches show nothing even when on (only some of them show something when on)

These are the things that showed readings...

On Off Unplugged

Microwave Y Y n/a (when on, you have to step away at least 6 feet before it stops picking up EMFs!!!)

Fridge Y Y n/a

PC (wireless off) N N

PC (wireless on) Y Y

Cell phone only when making calls

Cordless phone only when making calls

Baby monitor Y Y (even if off, it picks up something)

Radio Y Y N (so unplug the radio if you are not listening)

TV Y Y N

And the weirdest thing... THE PENCIL SHARPENER EVEN WHEN UNPLUGGED! That one kills me as it is right behind next to where my son usually sits to do school!

But at least none of us has his head on a hot-spot at night!

Isabel

Thanks for posting this. I have read this or a similar post on the TS board and it really interested me. I have been unplugging our Wi-Fi when not in use but I have not switched our phone, although I intend to. I also want to get in the habit of turning off our cell phones, although my husband uses his for work. Maybe I can get him to "forward" it to our home phone while he is home.

I think I heard that there was a study correlating Wi-FI with ADHD. Don't know what study it is, just heard about it from our previous DAN doctor.

Stephanie

Hello,

I only post here occasionally (I should do more!), but I continue to find this forum, and all of your advice, to be invaluable.

I just wanted to post about a change we have made that has affected my daughter’s behavior quite dramatically (her background below). And I am curious to hear others experience’s / comments. (I will post on both Tourette’s and Pandas forums).

About 10 days ago I disconnected/unplugged our home cordless telephone system. I did this because sadly another friend of mine has developed terminal brain cancer and I decided to go back and use the “old fashioned” corded phones only (and severely limit cell use). We also only very occasionally turn on a wireless router. Anyway, after several days I realized that my daughter was no longer having her daily (or multi-times daily) rage and anger outbursts. I mean NONE. This has never happened, and it completely coincides with our unplugging the cordless phone (which she used to sit near in the kitchen area). She has been the most complacent and sweet natured kid EVERY DAY. I can not tell you how amazing this is. For myself and my husband, we can say we notice that we feel “better/calmer” in some slight way, but for my daughter the change has been dramatic.

I see that there have been a couple of other posts here about EMF (electromagnetic field) sensitivity, and I have been researching extensively since noticing a correlation. Apparently EMF creates an opening in the blood brain barrier. They disrupt neurocognitive functioning, disrupt neurotransmitters (serotonin etc.). People who are chemically sensitive are likewise more sensitive to EMFs.

Please let me know what your experiences may be.

Also, please consider unplugging your cordless phones, home wireless systems and turning off cell phones in the house for a few days and see what reactions your or your children have.

Thanks for reading!

[background---- my daughter is nearly 8yo. She’s had a long battle with lyme disease that’s left her with a propensity for tics and OCD. She goes through periods tic-free, but at other times they return to varying degrees. We’ve been on long term antibiotics, but are off now. She’s quite chemically sensitive, and we have great luck when we really watch her diet and limit as much toxic exposure as possible.]

Alot of people say their kids are worse after playing video games. Maybe it isn't the games - maybe its the wirelss controllers.

We don't have wireless controllers and my son is definitely worse off after playing. It is somewhat better when he plays on our flat screen versus the old TV, but regardless it affects him. TV, computer, DS & movies all affect him negatively.

a lot of kids with neurological issues also have photosensitivity, possibly related to sensory integration dysfunction

Alot of people say their kids are worse after playing video games. Maybe it isn't the games - maybe its the wirelss controllers.

We don't have wireless controllers and my son is definitely worse off after playing. It is somewhat better when he plays on our flat screen versus the old TV, but regardless it affects him. TV, computer, DS & movies all affect him negatively.