ACN Latitudes Forums

Tonsillectomy Poll

I don't know how to start a poll but reading through past posts it seems like there are a lot of kids who got a tonsillectomy and we are curious how many it helped.

Can we start one?

Thanks. Laura

I don't know how to start a poll- but my son just had one 3 weeks ago- still to early to tell.

my son had one november 2008. he hasn't had pharyngitis since but i wouldn't say that it helped the PANDAS. we had a period immediately following the tonsillectomy that he was symptom free but i'm thinking that had more to do with the abx pre and post op than the operation itself.

Anthony had his tonsils and adnoids removed for recurrent strept when he was just a little over two--nothing else tics, behavior changes noted at this time.

Deanna

My 15 yr old son had one 8 weeks ago and is doing about 75% better so far. He is still on ABX and we had his titers checked today.

My 9yr old daughter is 5 weeks post op and also still on abx (Augmentin). She has improved a great deal(75-80%) but some OCD/anxiety issues continue.

Anthony had his tonsils and adnoids removed for recurrent strept when he was just a little over two--nothing else tics, behavior changes noted at this time.

Deanna

My son had his tonsils and adnoids removed in 2004 and he has had every symptom of PANDAS since then. So in our case I would have to say that it did not help. He even got strep throat and wound up in the hospital somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 months after tonsilectomy.

I don't know how to start a poll but reading through past posts it seems like there are a lot of kids who got a tonsillectomy and we are curious how many it helped.

Can we start one?

Thanks. Laura

Our experience: ds9 with explosion of PANDAS like symptoms age 4. At age 6 had recurrent strep throat X8 so scheduled the surgery; ended up with 9th bout of strep throat before tonsillectomy done.

He still got strep throat sometimes and as he is getting older it seems to be less...so having strep less has given him less PANDAS symptoms. So, I think it indirectly helped. I feel he would have been worse if it was not done, but I realize I have no way to prove that.

When I spoke to the surgeon about my son I presented him as OCD/Tourette's/PANDAS. She told me that even though you can still get strep after tonsils out, and even though not everyone believes it PANDAS, it was her experience that these kids did much better after the surgery; and that if it were her kid, she would do it. And those surgeons do a lot of these; they crank them out!!

I refuse to get one. My Dr thinks it would be a good idea but I seem to be a carrier and hardly ever get strep throat. I have only had it once that I can remember, so i don't think in my case it would help. Dr. T also said that I would get an onset of PANDAS symptoms if I were to get one, and I really can't afford to go back to the way I was even if it is only for a few weeks.

My dd8 got one, her tonsils and adenoids were huge and she had sleep apnea, snored, was sick a lot, etc. After, she had an improvement in behavior that did not last but her apnea went away and she stopped snoring and stopped mouth breathing. She still gets sick a lot but she did stop getting strep in her throat although did not stop getting strep.

It was a good thing for her to do but mainly from the condition of her tonsils. Her sister still has hers and so far, no reason to remove them.

Susan

My son had t and a in Feb 2009. He was 100% recovered at the time from his last PANDAS exacerbation. A month later he had strep and another exacerbation surfaced. Something to add is, at that time, all 3 of my kids had strep, so the odds were really against him.

But, knock on wood, he has not had strep since that last infection is Mar 2009. I have the mind set that I know it will not fully protect him from getting strep, but I also don't know how many times it has/will prevent him from contracting it.

As an adult who still has issues with her tonsils, I wish I had them out as a child. Now that I am an adult, I won't do it to myself. I have heard recovery can be hard for an adult and like alderliefest, I just can't chance having a hard recovery.