ACN Latitudes Forums

Please notice me

Bailey

Hi I am Bailey and want any information from persons whose child is otherwise emotionally and physically healthy except for simple vocal and motor tics. My husband and I both have minor ticcing. Mine was really bad when I was ages 14 through 21 with neck twitching and head shaking. It is now only occasional and well hidden with only some neck twitching. My husband has a minor vocal tic where he and I are the only ones that really notice anything. Unfortunately, it appears our eight year old child has gotten both simple motor and vocal tics from us, but greatly magnified to the point it takes weeks for his waxing episodes to wane. He is also being ridiculed in school. We ache so badly for him! We have cut out caffeine, watch his sugar intake and make sure that he gets plenty of rest. He has been on Paxil (10mg) the last year without any real impact. Out of desperation and although trying to avoid drugs, we have surrendered to him being put on Clonidine(0.5 ) due to the ostracism he is experiencing at school. I have reflected on his tic triggers. The only pattern that emerges is that when he is excited or anxious the ticcing will begin and take weeks or months to subside once triggered. For example, Christmas time last year he began severe ticcing. A recent vacation elicited ticcing. Going back to school and or his baseball games triggered ticcing. How does one avoid setting off the ticcing responses to anxious or exciting events with a young boy? Recently, he had a migraine headache episode where the neurologist ordered an MRI test that showed he has had a stroke in his Medulla Oblangata that the neurologist firmly believes occurred sometime long ago, possibly in utero due to my toxemia during pregnancy. Further he was born with a heart condition where he had to take a potent heart drug the first three years daily of his life. The neurologist firmly believes that my son's ticcing, the migraine episode, and the past stroke are all totally unrelated events. He explained this is because ticcing, migraines and where he had the stroke in the medulla oblangata each occur in a different section of the brain. For the Love of God what is going on with my boy? I absolutely abhor the ticcing that my son endures and the social repercussions he experiences for something he can not control. Again, no patterns are emerging over here where I feel I can do prevention because his tics seem to be triggered by normal exciting events(i.e. Christmas , vacations) or anxiety(going back to school, playing sports). Please give me input if someone has some ideas for me on what caused his tics in the first place , or how I can help him prevent triggering the tics. Thank you so much! And I pray for all of our children and each other that must go through this distressing condition that their is relief. Bailey

I also am dealing with a child who has tics. This is what we are doing. First off we took him to a naturpath who did a hair analysis. This is a very accurate way to determine any heavy metal toxicity which can affect the nervous system. Second we did a specra-cell test which measures vitamin, amino acid and mineral levels. We are presently giving him some homeopathic drops to help cleanse his body of the heavy metals and are replenishing his system of the specific vitamins etc. that he is low in. We've been doing this for about 21/2 months and the past 2 weeks there has been a dramatic improvment. I can't stress the importance of seeing a reputable homeopathic doctor. Had we not of taken this step our child would be on a meciacation to mask the symptoms of what is really going on in his little body. One other important thing to consider is the stomach.

If he has been on alot of antibiotics (our child has) he may have a yeast overgrowth which affects the stomach's ability to absorb nutrients and rid the body of toxins. I am confident that your son will improve. I can't stress the importance of getting to the bottom of what's really going on in the body.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me this advice. It was practical and straight forward. I did not know that there was a specra cell test. It is very helpful to know this because I thought it was going to be a very long process of trial and error to see exactly what vitamins, amino acids, minerals he might need. This is a huge help and I am grateful for you taking the time to write. The Specra Cell test will save us a lot of time and eliminate the guess work on what it is that he needs. Thank you!

• 2 months later...
Guest Sarah

My son also has tics, as does his father. He also began having Migraines last spring. I would recommend reading Doris Rapp's "Is this your child?". A neurologist diagnosed my son with TS and basically sent me home w/o any hope of relief from the symptoms. I began to do some of my own research and found Dr. Rapp's book, as well as Bonnie Grimaldi's sight for nutrional supplements. After reading Dr. Rapp's book I tried an elimination diet. Sugar definately caused more tics & food dyes caused headaches. I moved to a diet free of sugar, dyes, & preservatives & continue moving toward a more organic diet. My son has not had a migraine since I have removed the offending items from our diet. I also felt like I should have my son allergy tested. When I had him allergy tested they found that he was highly allergic to cane sugar & mildly allergic to beet sugar. He is also allergic to a wide variety of items that I was feeding him daily. He is undergoing allergy treatments now, so I will let you know how that goes. BTW my son's tics got worse as school approached & began as well during the holiday season. Imagine my suprise to find out that he was allergic to peanut butter (I give him PBJ in most of his lunches) and sugar (which is in jelly & is everywhere during the holidays because of all the sugary treats). If you start looking at your son's diet at the times when the tics are worse maybe you will see a pattern. My son's tics are now minimal. I still feel like there are other avenues that I would like to pursue, like nutritional testing and hair analysis, but I am waiting to see how the allergy treatments work before trying something new.

Sarah

• 2 months later...
Guest Jeff

Sarah, I was thrilled to read your reply, particularly that you've discovered the effects of food additives (flavors, dyes, etc.) on your child's tics. We too have eliminated those items and have had great success controlling our daughters' tics. For more info on what can cause reactions, check out the Feingold diet (feingold.org). That's what we follow. They are non-profit, and charge a nominal annual fee for membership. The fee pays for a yearly food guide listing thousands of products which they have researched and approved. There are also regular updates on new research. They have a very active discussion board, but it's for members only. I highly recommend that you look into it.

Good luck. Jeff