ACN Latitudes Forums

Newbie - what's the deal with Epsom Salt?

Mom04

How does this control tics and why? Should I give my son (who hasn't been officially diagnosed yet) a bath in it, or is there some other way of using it?

I'm so scared because my son refuses to take medicine in ANY form....liquid, chewables, dissolvables....takes a fit NO MATTER what flavor or method. I'm just hoping if he has to go on meds for the tics that there's a patch of some kind out there. But I was also just reading in this forum that magnesium helps?? Most of my son's tics are verbal, so how would this help?

Thank you all!!

Laurie

hi and welcome

magnesium is known to help reduce tics, especially for people with Tourette (some research at www.bonniegr.com on importance of magnesium)

bathing in magnesium sulfate=epsom salts gives this benefit, while the sulfate in the salts helps to detox

you can also use a footbath or cream but it isnt as effective as the full soak

this is done in addition to taking oral magnesium supplement

How does this control tics and why? Should I give my son (who hasn't been officially diagnosed yet) a bath in it, or is there some other way of using it?

I'm so scared because my son refuses to take medicine in ANY form....liquid, chewables, dissolvables....takes a fit NO MATTER what flavor or method. I'm just hoping if he has to go on meds for the tics that there's a patch of some kind out there. But I was also just reading in this forum that magnesium helps?? Most of my son's tics are verbal, so how would this help?

Thank you all!!

Laurie

They do make a powder magnesium oral supplement that you can mix into food. I get ours at iherb.com. It's not expensive and it you mix it with juice it doesn't taste bad.

The Epsom Salt Baths helped my son. I made him take them in the summer after he got out of the pool. My older son, who does not have tics, started to ask to take them because he liked the way he felt afterwards ???? I think they helped....but can't tell you the medical reason why.

As with the other post on this topic, I think that Magnesium Taurate was a big help as a supplement.