ACN Latitudes Forums

Tired out from twitching while walking

Wombat140

Among a lot of very strange OCD or Tourette's-ish symptoms, I have one where I sort of get "caught up" on things I pass, such as lamp-posts, and have to twitch and tense myself up to "free" myself before I can go any further. (No, there's no rhyme or reason to it at all). Well, whenever that one flares up I notice that I get really tired and out of breath when I walk even quite a short distance. I get the impression it's because of walking on tensed-up muscles or something like that, but I can't be sure. Does anyone else notice this?

Actually, this hasn't been a problem at all the last day or so. The tic hasn't been as bad either, but it's there, and I've been for a longish walk without getting tired at all. I put it down to having started doing Yoga every morning again, though again that's just my opinion.

Wombat140

Among a lot of very strange OCD or Tourette's-ish symptoms, I have one where I sort of get "caught up" on things I pass, such as lamp-posts, and have to twitch and tense myself up to "free" myself before I can go any further. (No, there's no rhyme or reason to it at all). Well, whenever that one flares up I notice that I get really tired and out of breath when I walk even quite a short distance. I get the impression it's because of walking on tensed-up muscles or something like that, but I can't be sure. Does anyone else notice this?

Actually, this hasn't been a problem at all the last day or so. The tic hasn't been as bad either, but it's there, and I've been for a longish walk without getting tired at all. I put it down to having started doing Yoga every morning again, though again that's just my opinion.

Wombat140

Sounds kind of like OCD. X happens --> I have to do Y.

OCD and tics can be related. I read a paper somewhere called "tourettic OCD." Perhaps OCD can trigger the urge to tic.

Yes, it's OCD I'm supposed to have, and there are some things about it that are like OCD and not TS, so it's not plain TS either. I think it's more OCD than TS. But there are just a few things that are not at all like OCD and exactly like TS. For instance, I don't get scared if I don't do the compulsions at the appropriate time (the typical OCD scenario). I just have an increasingly strong urge to do them, which gets worse until I have to give in (as with TS). That, or else I have to do them before I can do something else, say sit down on a chair, and in just the same way I can't make myself sit down until I've done them.

Another difference I've noticed is that there's never any reason why I have to do something in a particular situation. Not even a silly reason. Again, like TS.

I keep noticing odd mentions of "tourettic OCD" on here, but I can't find any very substantial bits of information about it. Can anyone help?

Yes, it's OCD I'm supposed to have, and there are some things about it that are like OCD and not TS, so it's not plain TS either. I think it's more OCD than TS. But there are just a few things that are not at all like OCD and exactly like TS. For instance, I don't get scared if I don't do the compulsions at the appropriate time (the typical OCD scenario). I just have an increasingly strong urge to do them, which gets worse until I have to give in (as with TS). That, or else I have to do them before I can do something else, say sit down on a chair, and in just the same way I can't make myself sit down until I've done them.

Another difference I've noticed is that there's never any reason why I have to do something in a particular situation. Not even a silly reason. Again, like TS.

I keep noticing odd mentions of "tourettic OCD" on here, but I can't find any very substantial bits of information about it. Can anyone help?

I have a .pdf article on "Tourettic OCD" somewhere. I will see if I can find it and upload it.

we first heard the term tourettic OCD from a psychiatrist, who was at least informed on some of the more alternative views.

He had research papers to show us on it, in journals. It was the first time my son's "morphing" of tics into OCD and OCD into tics made sense scientifically to me

stuff related to serotonin and dopamine and also information on endorphins

I dont remember the journals or even the authors...I looked at the papers when we were at the doc's office.

He was the best psych we ever encountered! sadly not in the area anymore

• 3 months later...

Wombat

I think we had tried to answer...it sounds like tourettic OCD and yes, many people with TS experience similar symptoms.

here is an article on Tourettic OCD

http://focus.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/5/3/361

are you taking any supplements or meds for the tics & OCD?

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is very helpful for tourettic OCD

if you've checked out things that might effecting you, like allergies and all that, and b12 levels...blah, blah..

you may want to peek over at the pandas board and see if there are any other underlying issues....maybe even go see a DAN Doctor......they are pretty thorough on seeing if you have any gut issues

just a thought.....

Thanks, Chemar and Fixit.

At the moment I'm taking 2220mg flaxseed oil, 200mg vegan DHA, multivitamin and mineral, 5mg zinc and 200mg chromium. I've taken magnesium on and off - you know how it is, as soon as you find somewhere that sells anything but magnesium oxide, they stop selling it. I'm going to try that again if I can get any, and maybe 5HTP.

I did go for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, several years ago, but she said she couldn't do anything for me.

You see my tics/compulsions mostly come into two groups. One kind I can not do, but I can't make myself go on until I've done them. The lamp-post thing I mentioned before is an example of this - so is the chair thing. It's not a question of anxiety - I just cannot make myself do it, any more than if there was a steel bar in the way. So it's hard to see how I could do exposure therapy with that.

With the other kind, if I don't do them at once, either I eventually have to do them much worse or another, nastier one kicks in. For example, there are some things I have to avoid touching. If I do touch them, I end up thrashing my hands against the wall. The only way I can keep from doing that is by freezing solid and not moving at all - this has been known to go on for over an hour until I finally give in. Neither of these seem like a very satisfactory result.

So the therapist said she didn't know how I could safely do any of the usual exposure therapy - and I don't actually have any obsessive thoughts, so we couldn't do the Cognitive part either.

As for "checking out" allergies and B12 levels, well, I live in Britain. I don't think anyone over here has heard of most of the tests that are mentioned on this board. Also my GP doesn't actually know about my problems, and I'm not entirely keen to have it on my medical record. People are so funny about that kind of thing. Are there DAN doctors over here?

All the best,

Wombat

Trouble is, they're all the ones who the reporter thought were dodgy! I suppose DAN has a website, come to think of it, so I might try that some time.

Wonderful example of fair and balanced reporting from the ever-reasonable Daily Mail. I particularly liked the bits where Jacqui Jackson warns other unwary parents against alternative treatments for autism, explaining that there isn't any evidence for them and she's wasted her money on several herself to no effect. I don't know if you're familiar with Jacqui Jackson, but over here she's one of the biggest advocates of the gluten/casein-free diet for autism...

Thanks,

Wombat140