ACN Latitudes Forums

My praise for today...

This may be off topic... or tmi... but, things have been a roller coaster (and you're all saying, "well, duh")... and I've really been trying hard to be finding a "thankful to God for... " each day, or as I stated in my title, "a praise"...

Often it has nothing to do with "the goings on" of all that's happening in our lives right now... but today I was reflecting on something my son (10 years old) told me in the car yesterday... and it dawned on me that while I often, in stress-mode, focus on the tics that are driving me crazy, and lab results, etc, etc ... I don't let myself be thankful enough for the gains he has made...

He has been on antibiotics for about 2 months now (Azith)... and we have seen improvement in ocd, and improvement in his ticcing (just night-time, daytime is still about the same)... but I didn't really realize (because he never really talks about the "logistics" of what's going on with him) that he is noticing, too. His ocd tendencies have improved so greatly... as I look back now I can really see that antibiotics have helped tremendously in that area... his questioning ritual is virtually gone, but if it starts to resurface he can actually be "led" out of it (if that makes sense)... a few weeks ago a "bracelet tightening" ritual began and lasted about 1 1/2 weeks... I could see it building - - but, again, we were able to lead him out of it - - and now he doesn't even put the yarn-bracelet-thingy on! And finally - - his head scratching (tic/ocd combo - I'm not really sure) - - this had gotten so bad that he was being checked several times at school for lice - - I noticed in the last several weeks it had basically halted out of the blue, as quickly as it had come (it lasted a few months) - - but yesterday in the car he tried to ask me a "math" question (his ritual thing), and I told him that I had a headache and couldn't do any math questions today.... he dropped it and was quiet (except for his verbal "huh" ticcing)... and then he said in such a contemplative and satisfied voice, "Mommy.... I'm wondering if you've noticed something about me lately?" And I said, "Well, what's that?" And he said, "I'm wondering if you've noticed that I don't scratch my head anymore?" And I told him that I actually had noticed... And he just said, "Ya... I just don't have to do it anymore, not one bit."

So I'm praising today... for my son, for the fact that antibiotics are helping, for him having relief with some of the ocd stuff, and for this board that I can write this stuff down that other people may think I'm crazy for writing down and crying about... and actually clicking "Post New Topic"... thanks...

Perfect news, K! Congrats and good job taking the time to be observant of the forward motion. Onward and upward!

That is great! It is really great when they have those moments where they seem to notice the improvements themselves. I hope the antibiotics continue to help!

I'm glad you are seeing improvement. This was one of my most favorite parts to read in your post....

Keep us posted.

he said in such a contemplative and satisfied voice, "Mommy.... I'm wondering if you've noticed something about me lately?" And I said, "Well, what's that?" And he said, "I'm wondering if you've noticed that I don't scratch my head anymore?" And I told him that I actually had noticed... And he just said, "Ya... I just don't have to do it anymore, not one bit."

You realy do have to sit back and look at the big picture. My dd has only noticed and said something twice about how she has improved. (and those were precious moments!) Even when I see changes, she often doesn't notice as she is still living with some anxiety every day.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The tears, the frustrationg, the joy found in sharing some small gain. We should all find some small ray of hope each day to be thankful for. Even if it is just that our friends or families are helping us through a really crappy day.

Hang in there.

Angela