ACN Latitudes Forums

The Treatments that have Helped My Son

Hi

I got your PM ^_^ and have fixed the post for you. the quotes got messed up when you typed the reply which is why it all blended into one

so let me start from the top

yes, magnesium makes my son very drowsy so he gets his magnesium "fix" at night with his epsom footbath (or tub) and his calcium, magnesium, and zinc

the continued confusion exists over the pros and cons of taking cal/mag/zinc together , some say dont and others say do. My son prefers them together and they seem to work fine. He takes 800mg calcium & 25 mg zinc from his supps for those, as well as some in his multi too. His magnesium is usually the natural calm and he also has a mag supplement of 400mg mag gluconate, if he decides on that instead of the natural calm, but the only mag he gets in the morning is from his multi (sadly Publix no longer makes the dye and artificial free one they used to. so my son uses Jarrow multi easy powder in a smoothie each morning.)

he honestly isnt rigid about exactly how much extra magnesium he takes in, as many supps do have mag stearate as a binder. but it is minimally absorbed.

my son uses the NOW brand p-5-p and yes, I get all our stuff at iherb as I find them cheapest, even factoring in shipping.. altho we have a new local health store here in my area that is selling all NOW brands at similar to iherb so I am stocking up.

the NOW p-5-p is an oval tablet that can be easily scored and broken in half

the samE is a form of methionine. my son used to take plain methionine but prefers the samE form now

he takes 200mg a day only tho many people take 400mg daily

Also known as: SAM-e, S-adenosylmethionine

The supplement SAMe is a synthetic form of a compound formed naturally in the body from the essential amino acid methionine and adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy-producing compound found in all cells in the body. It was first discovered in 1953.

SAMe is believed to work by being a methyl group donor in many reactions in the body. After donating the methyl group, it is converted to a compound called S-adenosyl-homocysteine.

hope that answered the questions ok :blink:

That helps tremendously. I have a couple more questions, I hope you don't mind, I am looking at everything individually, trying to sort through everything.

First thing, I asked about samE and the person helping me at the Vitamin shoppe said he's never heard of a teenager taking this. Is this a supplement your son does now? Should I consider something different (son is 15). Also, did I ask about the right supplement-he said it was used to treat mood/depression.

Second, I noticed in your post you said that detoxification from heavy metals helped. What is this process, and how do I know if he needs detoxification from heavy metals, I am not familiar with this at all. Please inform...:)

Have you ever heard of the acetyl-l-carnitine decreasing appetite as a side effect? My son swears it is taking away his appetite in the morning. I am using this to help with ADHD. Did you find good results/any side effects with the ginko biloba?

Last, you mentioned that 5 HTP can have adverse side effects, what would I look for and is this supplement taken in AM or PM.

With much appreciation for your help :)

Lilyma

Have you ever heard of the acetyl-l-carnitine decreasing appetite as a side effect? My son swears it is taking away his appetite in the morning. I am using this to help with ADHD.

Lilyma,

FYI, acetyl-l-carnitine is recommended in a book by Doug Kaufmann as being helpful for weight loss. It states that acetyl-l-carnitine moves fat into the mitochondria of the cells, where it can be burned for energy. Doug Kaufmann has made a bit of a name for himself blaming pretty much every illness there is on fungal infections, and explaining the benefits of various therapies in terms of their antifungal properties. My sense at the moment is he's a bit overboard with some of his speculations, but probably at least generally on to something.

Michael

That helps tremendously. I have a couple more questions, I hope you don't mind, I am looking at everything individually, trying to sort through everything.

First thing, I asked about samE and the person helping me at the Vitamin shoppe said he's never heard of a teenager taking this. Is this a supplement your son does now? Should I consider something different (son is 15). Also, did I ask about the right supplement-he said it was used to treat mood/depression.

Second, I noticed in your post you said that detoxification from heavy metals helped. What is this process, and how do I know if he needs detoxification from heavy metals, I am not familiar with this at all. Please inform... <_<

Have you ever heard of the acetyl-l-carnitine decreasing appetite as a side effect? My son swears it is taking away his appetite in the morning. I am using this to help with ADHD. Did you find good results/any side effects with the ginko biloba?

Last, you mentioned that 5 HTP can have adverse side effects, what would I look for and is this supplement taken in AM or PM.

With much appreciation for your help :huh:

Lilyma

we used l-carnitine not acetyl l- carnitine so I am not sure re the appetite /weight loss thing

I am not sure why the person questioned a teen using samE? my son was 11yo when he started using methionine. Methionine helps to elevate serotonin and so helps with OCD, mood, depression etc

we had tests for heavy metals and my son was found high in mercury. He took supplements to help that (chlorella, and right at the end of the process. alpha lipoic acid) and had intensive acupuncture, biofeedback and reflexology treatments etc to help the detox

here is a helpful thread on testing http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=755

5HTP makes one sleepy so should be used at night. my son never took more than 50mg daily. If one is reacting badly to it then instead of relaxed and OCD down it can cause edginess, restlessness, agitation etc

I do want to emphasize again that all these things are very much dependent on the individual and not everyone reacts the same to a supplement. another reason why it is best to add them one at a time and watch for a few days to make sure well tolerated before adding the next :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Chemar,

I got your info from Caryn. So here is another mother reduced to tears! My 17 yr old has Asperger's, a few processing disorders, OCD, anxiety (I guess - he used to pray 24/7 because he was losing his salvation), and now has developed a vocal tic that is reducing my husband and me both to tears! He was on Risperdal and Lexapro for about 5 yrs. Just went to a new pediatric neurologist who checked his labs (first time - the psych dr. never did) and found his liver enzymes, A1C, and prolactin all elevated. So we began the process of weaning him off and replacing with other meds. We also started the Specific Carbohydrate diet at about the same time. He has been taking Clonidine 3 mg/day and Zoloft. When he stopped the Risperdal and started the Zoloft he started with vocal tics. I thought it was because of going off the Risperdal - he had had a lot of head turning when we tried to wean him off when we were doing GF/CF and supplements, which didn't seem to help. The only time he had ever had vocal tics before was when he was on a stimulant for a week. He had tics before, even on the Risperdal, at least the behavior therapist thought they were tics. Not sure if tics or OCD - probably a combination. Anyway, the dr. kept increasing the Zoloft and the vocal tics have come and gone (this started in Jan.), and she decreased the Zoloft. But since last week they are back with a vengeance. So we are weaning him off the Zoloft. His praying has pretty much been under control, so we are hoping that doesn't come back in full force when he goes off the Zoloft. He is doing some self therapy to help with that. His vocal tics are just about continuous now (when awake - tho I heard one at 5 this a.m.). We have been doing supplements, but not all the ones you have on your list. I just added some zinc and milk thistle because of the liver stuff. I just want them to stop! It is so hard to listen to him. He has Ohio Envirothon tomorrow with our homeschool group and there are some new teen girls going - I suppose they will just think he is weird.

I am hoping we can take him off of the Clonidine as well as off the Zoloft. It doesn't seem to do anything but make him tired. I have not tried the epsom salts baths, but think I will try that. Before when he was on meds we did a foot cleanse that was supposed to help detox, but it pulled the meds out of his system and he had more problems. We are scheduled for an ETA scan the end of next month and I'm hoping that will give us some help. We are considering going to the Pfieffer Treatment Center in Ill. - not sure if we can afford to keep up with all the supps, etc. Have been on one part time income for quite a while.

This is long - I needed an understanding shoulder to cry on!

One more thing, I read you went dairy free, but then you talked about yogurt. So he is not completely dairy free? Caleb has been pretty much dairy free except for the 24 hr yogurt that's legal on the Specific Carbohydrate diet. He does have a little of the legal cheeses occasionally. He wouldn't complain about giving them up, I don't think.

Caryn said your son went off of Clonidine and I was curious about that. Was he on any other meds?

DebbieC

Hi Debbie and welcome, tho sorry to hear the struggles

I am real biased against psychiatric meds as they seriously messed my son up, rather than helping him.

However, he wasnt ever on clonidine....my husband, who also has TS, was on it briefly and it had horrid psychotic side effects on him. The docs had put him on it to lower his blood pressure

the meds my son was on were haldol, luvox and briefly, naltrexone, zyprexa

my son does not have any dairy allergy and has chosen his limited "dairy free" as part of his Crohn's Diet

He does have a small amount of lactose free organic milk in a cup of organic TAZO Chai each morning, and eats his Stoneyfield farms plain organic yoghurt 3 times daily for protein as well as probiotic

re the supps, not everyone will need all of those and as you noticed from my latest update, my son now takes far less supps than before

it is hard to suggest what is most important as you are dealing with Aspergers and we with Tourette, and also the supps that work best for OCD, anxiety etc are best not taken when someone is still on meds, altho my understanding is that Inositol is generally safe to take

the magnesium really does seem to help with tics, nomatter the cause, so epsom baths as well as natural calm may be a good place to start

I find that ordering supps from iherb.com is most cost efficient as even with shipping, they are usually far lower than buying them at health stores

let me know if there are any specific supps you had questions about of anything else I can try to help with

hoping things stabilize soon

Hi Chemar,

I am new to Latitudes but have found your posts so helpful. Thank you for all the time you invest even now that your son is grown. My son is 8 and dx with Tourettes but he also has many Aspergers behaviors. I have a couple questions regarding what worked for your son.

When you treated for Candida did you completely eliminate all sugar and simple carbs in addition to using the supplements? For how long?

What specific OT therapies helped him?

Did you ever do testing for autoimmunity or compromised immune system? If so, what tests? I really believe this is a key link to all the neurodevelopmental disorders.

What are your concerns with neurofeedback? My pediatrician is very hot on this and has opened a neurofeedback center.

Thank you!!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa and welcome

when we did the Candida diet we followed that outlined by Walker & Trowbridge in their book "The Yeast Syndrome" it is a phased diet with the first phase being very strict and then gradual reintroduction of foods, until maintaining an overall balanced and healthy diet

my son was already on very limited "refined/processed" food intake by that time, so that was easier as he wasnt consuming a lot of sugars and his carbs were mainly whole grains etc

The OT he had was specialized for kids with sensory disorders. Our therapist is the one who introduced me to The Out Of Sync Child book, which I found very helpful. There were many aspects of the therapy but the weighted covers for sleep/relaxing and the skin brushing were amongst the most beneficial. Also using the daylight lamps to prevent flicker/flash from Tv & Computer, videogames etc

we also got him a swing hammock and one of those mini trampolines as he really enjoyed those in therapy

there was more stuff but those stand out right now

we never did any specific immune testing and learned of his autoimmune condition when he was dx with Crohn's after a colonoscopy/endoscopy in 2006

but yes, I do think the immune system and inflammation play a primary role in many neuropsychiatric disorders

in our case, we were trying to boost his immune system as that was "in"...once we learned he had an autoimmune condition, we looked more to modulate it and avoided the "boosting" supps

my son has never had neurofeedback for 2 reasons...his physicians advised against it and everyone whom I have encountered who had it done for a child with Tourette or OCD seemed to feel it had a negative effect. Also a parent who used to post here, Claire, found it had a very negative effect on her child, (he did not have a TS dx, but had phtosensitive induced ticcing)

I know it is used successfully for ADHD and some other disorders so I am not negating it's value...just taking his doctor's advice that it is counterproductive for TS and OCD, and heeding the warnings from other TS parents. I know it is "in vogue" with many alternative practitioners, but I think caution is needed on who is treated with it. JMHO

Edited by Chemar

Hi Cheri,

Thanks for the reply. I just found it today - having a bit of trouble navigating the posts.

I'm sitting here ready to cry again - my son came home from a youth party last night (he took his own food) with an addition to his vocal tic - now he has added a laugh to it. He has been doing it almost nonstop - a breath, a blow, a honk, a laugh, etc. I read about other moms and their sons tics and I feel like I can hardly complain - he has no aggression, anger, anything like that. But this is driving me crazy. He will be off his Zoloft in 3 more days, but still on the Clonidine, which doesn't seem to be doing anything - although some of his other tics seem to be gone or decreased. He just changes one tic for another. I find the vocal tics to be the hardest to deal with. I guess maybe the Risperdal he was on before was covering them up for the most part, tho he did have a number of other tics that would come and go. The Clonidine just seems to make him tired. I am going to ask the dr. to wean him off of that one as well, then maybe we can start over or do something more as far as finding triggers.

One thing that could have increased the vocal tic - he did have grape juice with seltzer water last night. I knew the other kids would be having pop so I sent some with him. The last time he restarted the vocal tics was when he had grapes (not concord, though) as well as some other things he hadn't had in a while - cinnamon being one. I suppose it could be the grape juice. It is really bad today and I just want to cry! He just came in from mowing the lawn and he is now sounding like a maniac with the laugh. I'm not sure if that's his way of dealing with it or if it is part of the tic. "Nyah, nyah, nyah" over and over.

Right now he is taking Natural Calm 1/2 tsp/day. When we increased it he had very "wet" gas! He is also on Cal/Mag 1000/400. He is taking Carlson's cod liver oil, 5000 mg Vit C (for years), digest gold enzymes, probiotics, zinc and milk thistle. I had him on GSE for a month or so, took him off and put him on some Nystatin I had in the fridge. Made it into capsules and decided to give it to him for 10 days. I have a parasite cleanse I was going to give him, but I had a blood test done on him and it didn't show parasites (darkfield microscopy). I may end up doing it anyway. I wonder sometimes if the antifungals increase the tics. I told him he needed to do an epsom salts bath and he was not happy about that. But I don't have any right now and can't make a trip to the store today.He will complain, but he will do it if I tell him to. I do get some of the supp from iherb.

He has had blood tests for food and mold allergies as well as a skin prick test for the common allergens and molds in our area and everything came back negative. He had IGg food allergy tests done of a few foods (insurance paid for 14) and he reacted very mildly to almost everything - but not much to anything. Normal was <2 and he was 2-3 on most and 5-7 on a few that he doesn't eat now. I was under the impression that they can change over time anyway. We had the blood tests to check for celiacs and that was negative.

I have had him on the specific carbohydrate diet for 4 mo. so he is off of grains. He is not dairy free - he eats the 24 hr yogurt and some cheddar, provolone, and parmesan, but not very often. When I was weaning him off of Risperdal a couple years ago he was GF/CF free and we didn't see any changes. When he got down to the lowest dose, he started having a lot of vigorous head turning, so I concluded (wrong or right, I don't know) that it couldn't be the dairy causing the tic because he hadn't had any at all for over 5 mo.

I'm at a loss as to where to go next. I suppose the elimination diet, which I find so difficult (do I need a little cheese with my whine??). I am a lousy detective when it comes to what is causing what symptom. I have great difficulty when I try it on myself, and a much harder time with my son. Right now he eats eggs, beef, chicken, ground turkey, yogurt w/honey and vanilla, veggies (gr. beans, spinach, zucchini, limas, peas, occas. broccoli),almond popovers made with blueberries., some plain applesauce, apples, apple cider, bananas, and sometimes a pear.

I sent a health history in to Pfieffer treatment center in IL to see if they think they can help him (of course they will say yes) but it is so expensive. It might be worth it, tho. I also found there is an environmental allergist at University Hospital in Cleveland, but we don't have insurance right now, so that is out unless we can get financial assistance. He had state assistance until last month, when they said we made too much money. My husband is self employed and hasn't been able to pay us anything since Dec. - he has had so many expenses. That's not what they look at, tho. So we've applied for a state hearing, but that won't be until next month.

Okay, guess I'm done whining for now. I know God has a plan for him and wants to get the glory from all this. It could be so much worse!

DebbieC

Hi Debbie and welcome, tho sorry to hear the struggles

I am real biased against psychiatric meds as they seriously messed my son up, rather than helping him.

However, he wasnt ever on clonidine....my husband, who also has TS, was on it briefly and it had horrid psychotic side effects on him. The docs had put him on it to lower his blood pressure

the meds my son was on were haldol, luvox and briefly, naltrexone, zyprexa

my son does not have any dairy allergy and has chosen his limited "dairy free" as part of his Crohn's Diet

He does have a small amount of lactose free organic milk in a cup of organic TAZO Chai each morning, and eats his Stoneyfield farms plain organic yoghurt 3 times daily for protein as well as probiotic

re the supps, not everyone will need all of those and as you noticed from my latest update, my son now takes far less supps than before

it is hard to suggest what is most important as you are dealing with Aspergers and we with Tourette, and also the supps that work best for OCD, anxiety etc are best not taken when someone is still on meds, altho my understanding is that Inositol is generally safe to take

the magnesium really does seem to help with tics, nomatter the cause, so epsom baths as well as natural calm may be a good place to start

I find that ordering supps from iherb.com is most cost efficient as even with shipping, they are usually far lower than buying them at health stores

let me know if there are any specific supps you had questions about of anything else I can try to help with

hoping things stabilize soon

Hi Debbie

I dont have much time to post right now but just wanted to try to encourage you

remember, if it is Tourette Syndrome manifesting with the Aspergers, you wont always be able to find clear "triggers" for all tics...sometimes it has more to do with hormones and other internal things that one cant possibly track. That mysterious "waxing and waning" that is so characteristic of TS

just keep doing the best you can re identifying things that may be triggering

coming off the meds and the resultant withdrawal issues can in itself be a trigger, which one just has to ride out if one decides to go med free

re the grapes, some people have salicylate sensitivity and grapes are high in salicylates. Some people with TS follow the Feingold diet which advocates low salicylates. Not everyone has this sensitivity but it is worth checking into

if you dont have evidence for him needing to be GFCF then it may not be necessary for him. My son is not limiting gluten and dairy for tics, but for his Crohn's. Eating gluten and dairy foods has never seemed to be a tic trigger for him

remember too that some (not all) people with TS seem to be intolerant to fishoil (even tho they can eat fish without problem) That is why my son gets his omega 3 from flaxseed oil

I also noticed you mentioned that he was ticking more after mowing the lawn. that could be allergy or, if you use outside pesticides/fertilizers, they could be the trigger there.

remember too that the hormonal years of puberty are the worst for tics, as the steroid hormones are dopaminergic, and dopamine seems to be at the root of TS tics, so hopefully you will begin to see things stabilize once he is out of the teens.

I am not sure if there are any interactions with the meds he is on, so do first check with the pharmacist or physician, but the amino acid L-carnitine seems to help with vocal tics in many people

it helped my son very much when he had a screeching tic years ago, but interestingly when he tried it again a few years later, it made him restless and edgy.

will keep you and your son in my prayers for guidance and comfort. I know how hard it is when we want to make things better for our kids and feel helpless. Hoping too the hearing re the insurance will be favorable for you.

God Bless

Cheri

• 2 weeks later...

Chemar

Thank you so much for your contribution and help, it is priceless.

I have my son on magnesium, fish-oil, claritin, N-Acetyl Cysteine. He has been doing very well, however, recently he started with a throat clearing, and don't know what to do about it. I am thinking it might be related to seasonal allergies? He is already on an organic diet, and we stay away from things that he turned up positive to (ELISA/ACT). What do you think I should try for the throat clearing which happens incessantly ...... Thank you!!!

hello Giula

many people are reporting that this is one of the worst allergy seasons in years so yes, it may well be what is causing the throat clearing

do you have a hepa filter in his room? that can help a lot

throat clearing is a vocal tic, so I guess you may consider trying L-carnitine as that often helps with vocals, but if you do start at lowest dose and see how he reacts to it as some people are hyper sensitive to any amino acids. Same with taurine

does he take epsom salts baths? we consider them a major help when tics increase

also, have you ever checked if he may be sensitive to the fishoil? if he has been taking it for a while with no extra tics then likely not, but some people with TS (including my son) tic more on fishoil and do better with flaxseed oil, fresh ground flaxseeds and high omega 3 fish(wild alaskan salmon--never use farmed or canned fish!)

also maybe check at school in case they have new paint, carpet or woodwork in his classrooms, fragrance etc. all those can be triggers

hope that may give some pointers

I cannot thank you enough for the reply.

Great tips, I did not think about the fish oil. I will try something else. Cannot use flx seed oil (he is highly sensitive to it). What about Soy Lecithin? Do you know anything about it?

I have also ordered L- Carnitine as you mentioned. Should I start with 250 mg /day? Or how much?

Yes he does soak in 2 cups of epsom salt in his bath every night, and it does help.

I also don't think the antihistamine is helping at all, so I am thinking about doing away with it. He seems particularly agitated since the throat clearing started.

Would you recommend redoing the ELISA/ACT test, only this time do the more comprehensive one?

I have installed UV lights in the AC/Heating unit to get rid of molds, since he is so sensitive to them. Not sure how to add a Hepa filter to his room. Do you mean to the return?

Again, **THANK YOU**, I wish I could repay you for the help. Take care!

you are very welcome....my repayment is any time a child might be helped by even the tiniest thing I may share about our experience. it was something my son and I agreed on when he first began to recover after the months of withdrawal from the drugs and we were seeing the positive reactions to the things we were trying....we will always do all we can to try to help other kids :)

dose is always a tricky thing as it does depend on age, weight and individual biochemistry

usually it is recommended to do half adult dose for under 12 older than 6, and the adult dose for carnitine is 500mg/day

soy lecithin is excellent for the nervous system (it is listed in the supps we used initially-pg 1 of this thread)

But it isnt enough omega 3. Borage oil has some in but it really is best from fish or flax...and as flax is out, maybe up his intake of wild alaskan salmon? (we get it frozen when out of season...avoid canned fish)

I have also heard that some people who may be fishoil sensitive can tolerate krill oil better, and it is also high in omega 3.

if you can get more comprehensive testing done, that is always beneficial, if only to rule stuff out

have you done candida testing? often that gut "yeast" infection can be a tic trigger

here is a compilation of "helpful threads" too in case there is anything there that may be helpful that you havent seen yet

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

you are very welcome....my repayment is any time a child might be helped by even the tiniest thing I may share about our experience. it was something my son and I agreed on when he first began to recover after the months of withdrawal from the drugs and we were seeing the positive reactions to the things we were trying....we will always do all we can to try to help other kids <_<

dose is always a tricky thing as it does depend on age, weight and individual biochemistry

usually it is recommended to do half adult dose for under 12 older than 6, and the adult dose for carnitine is 500mg/day

soy lecithin is excellent for the nervous system (it is listed in the supps we used initially-pg 1 of this thread)

But it isnt enough omega 3. Borage oil has some in but it really is best from fish or flax...and as flax is out, maybe up his intake of wild alaskan salmon? (we get it frozen when out of season...avoid canned fish)

I have also heard that some people who may be fishoil sensitive can tolerate krill oil better, and it is also high in omega 3.

if you can get more comprehensive testing done, that is always beneficial, if only to rule stuff out

have you done candida testing? often that gut "yeast" infection can be a tic trigger

here is a compilation of "helpful threads" too in case there is anything there that may be helpful that you havent seen yet

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY. I AM AN AVID READER OF THIS FORUM AND FIND THE INFO EXTREMELY HELPFUL. SOMETHING I WANTED TO ASK YOU: HE HAS A NEW TOOTH TRYING TO COME IN: HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THAT BEING A TRIGGER ? WHAT ABOUT THE LAWN BEING FERTILIZED, AND THE EXTERMINATOR COMING IN THE HOUSE TO SPRAY FOR BUGS, SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT THAT?

YOU MENTIONED A HEPA FILTER: SHOULD THAT GO IN THE AIR-RETURN CLOSEST TO HIS ROOM? I DO THINK THE POLLEN BEING SO BAD THIS YEAR IS AFFECTING HIM.

I DID DO THE SPIT TEST A FEW WEEKS BACK AND HE TURNED OUT POSITIVE, SO I ADDED A PROBIOTIC W/OUT MAKING CHANGES TO HIS DIET. WAS THAT WRONG? I AM JUST STRUGGLING WITH THIS BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN VIRTUALLY TIC FREE FOR 6 MONTHS, AFTER GOING THROUGH A HORRIBLE OCT/NOV 2009, SO I AM UNSURE WHERE TO START LOOKING. SINCE THEN WE COMPLETELY CHANGED OUR LIFE, GOING COMPLETELY ORGANIC (THAT WAS THE BIGGEST AND BEST THING FOR HIM) BTW, THE THROAT CLEARING SUBSIDED YESTERDAY, TO MAKE ROOM FOR A FACE AND NECK STRETCHING WITH EYES LOOKING UP.....

LAST QUESTION: WHEN YOU TRY SOMETHING NEW ( AMONOACID/SUPPLEMENT) HOW LONG BEFORE I SHOULD EXPECT A GOOD/BAD REACTION ?

**thank you**

GIULIA

Hi Giulia

yes, teeth stuff is a recognized trigger, as is the chemicals in fertilizer and especially also pesticides. many kids with neuro probs also have multiple chemical sensitivity, so everything from perfume to pesticide can set them off. we have gone "natural" on all these for years and see very positive results...I sprinkle cinnamon and herbs in crevices and have a bug free home, and we use only organic gardening methods

the hepa filter is a stand alone machine that you can put in his bedroom. you can also get others for separate rooms too, but the bedroom is the most important one to keep allergen free while he sleeps. there are also specialized air filters to place in the air conditioner return that help

re the teeth, for some people it may be related to a misalignment in the TNJ region, while it is also thought that the actual inflammatory reactions and chemical changes with teeth coming in or out may be triggering

adding a probiotic is very helpful re candida but to actually get rid of it one really does need something to kill the candida. modifying diet is helpful as that eliminates the substances that the "yeast" thrives on...primarily sugars and refined starches. we like Candida Clear by NOW, tho our initial yeast buster of capryllic acid worked well. just do be aware that eliminating yeast does bring what is known as die off when the candida releases toxins on dying....that is where the probiotic is so helpful in replenishing the good bugs to fight the bad ones, and lots of pure water and epsom salts baths aids the detox.

TS tics do wax and wane so one tic can give way to another

always add supplements one at a time and at lowset dose and then work up. 2-3 weeks is usually the timeframe to see results tho for some people it can be almost immediate

:)

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY. I AM AN AVID READER OF THIS FORUM AND FIND THE INFO EXTREMELY HELPFUL. SOMETHING I WANTED TO ASK YOU: HE HAS A NEW TOOTH TRYING TO COME IN: HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THAT BEING A TRIGGER ? WHAT ABOUT THE LAWN BEING FERTILIZED, AND THE EXTERMINATOR COMING IN THE HOUSE TO SPRAY FOR BUGS, SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT THAT?

YOU MENTIONED A HEPA FILTER: SHOULD THAT GO IN THE AIR-RETURN CLOSEST TO HIS ROOM? I DO THINK THE POLLEN BEING SO BAD THIS YEAR IS AFFECTING HIM.

I DID DO THE SPIT TEST A FEW WEEKS BACK AND HE TURNED OUT POSITIVE, SO I ADDED A PROBIOTIC W/OUT MAKING CHANGES TO HIS DIET. WAS THAT WRONG? I AM JUST STRUGGLING WITH THIS BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN VIRTUALLY TIC FREE FOR 6 MONTHS, AFTER GOING THROUGH A HORRIBLE OCT/NOV 2009, SO I AM UNSURE WHERE TO START LOOKING. SINCE THEN WE COMPLETELY CHANGED OUR LIFE, GOING COMPLETELY ORGANIC (THAT WAS THE BIGGEST AND BEST THING FOR HIM) BTW, THE THROAT CLEARING SUBSIDED YESTERDAY, TO MAKE ROOM FOR A FACE AND NECK STRETCHING WITH EYES LOOKING UP.....

LAST QUESTION: WHEN YOU TRY SOMETHING NEW ( AMONOACID/SUPPLEMENT) HOW LONG BEFORE I SHOULD EXPECT A GOOD/BAD REACTION ?

**thank you**

GIULIA