ACN Latitudes Forums

The 'Lice Letter"

My dd brought home the 'lice letter' today.. you know the one that tells you that someone in the class has lice and what the signs are and what to do.... well lets just say that it is not exactly the best thing for a PANDAS child like my daughter to see... I had her to the dr yesterday (rapid neg - waiting on culture results -Fri) but dad has strep... and she has sore throat... she has been ramping up since Sunday (tantrums/rages yesterday and today) high OCD questions/rituals. urinary frequency...

so the letter is making her nuts.... she is convinced that she has lice and that she can feel them sucking the blood out of her brain! She as woke 2xs already tonight to ask me to check her head! and she wants to miss her field trip (it is to a soup kitchen to help prepare the place settings) to go to the doctor and then in the next breath she want to go on the field trip but everyone will know that she has lice because they will be able to tell that the lice have been sucking the blood from her brain!

NOTE TO SELF - tell the school to send all 'ILLNESS / PARASITE / GERM RELATED" materials home in a sealed envelope addressed to me!

the dr did give her another course of antibiotic.... 10days.... and I gave ibuprofen before bed so I am hoping she stays asleep (even though she is in our bed) and God help us if she does get it! I can only imagine the reaction!

Must be "the season"...my (hopefully non-pandas) younger dd got a "lice letter" last week as well. The funny thing is, the little girl who had the lice was quite open about it, telling everyone not to touch her hair (I volunteer in the classroom...she announced this to me as well).

NOTE TO SELF - tell the school to send all 'ILLNESS / PARASITE / GERM RELATED" materials home in a sealed envelope addressed to me!
Good idea!

Oh, I'm sorry about that one! That would totally freak my girls out too. I managed to step in soon enough with our old immunologist to say "let's not use the "freak out" (as he called it) about dustmites with my pandas kid!" She still thinks dust is just dust.

I hope you guys don't get it and pretty smart about sending all those notes home sealed in the future!

Susan

add tea tree oil to her shampoo and wash her hair, everyday with it! Not only will this help prevent lice from invading the hair it also helps if she does get it!

This is from my OCD experience when we got the "letter", years ago!!! We never got lice but boy did I research it and dud every preventitive measure!!!!

You can get tea tree oil at almost any healthfood store/vitamin shop. Shampoos are made with tea tree oil but nit enough to be effective...

Hope this is helpful..

Lynn

Must be "the season"...my (hopefully non-pandas) younger dd got a "lice letter" last week as well. The funny thing is, the little girl who had the lice was quite open about it, telling everyone not to touch her hair (I volunteer in the classroom...she announced this to me as well).

Good idea!

My dd brought home the 'lice letter' today.. you know the one that tells you that someone in the class has lice and what the signs are and what to do.... well lets just say that it is not exactly the best thing for a PANDAS child like my daughter to see... I had her to the dr yesterday (rapid neg - waiting on culture results -Fri) but dad has strep... and she has sore throat... she has been ramping up since Sunday (tantrums/rages yesterday and today) high OCD questions/rituals. urinary frequency...

so the letter is making her nuts.... she is convinced that she has lice and that she can feel them sucking the blood out of her brain! She as woke 2xs already tonight to ask me to check her head! and she wants to miss her field trip (it is to a soup kitchen to help prepare the place settings) to go to the doctor and then in the next breath she want to go on the field trip but everyone will know that she has lice because they will be able to tell that the lice have been sucking the blood from her brain!

the dr did give her another course of antibiotic.... 10days.... and I gave ibuprofen before bed so I am hoping she stays asleep (even though she is in our bed) and God help us if she does get it! I can only imagine the reaction!

Lice letters, CNN, FoxNews (and any other scrolling 24 hour media blitz), yard signs in front of grocery stores and pharmacies touting H1N1 vaccines to keep us all from dying of the flu, SSRI ads on tv that list boldly the potential side effects....and on it goes. Fear tactics utilized by advertisers and mass media designed to get us to buy or conform. Most people can put all of that into proper perspective but proper perspective is currently lost on my ds16, adding the difficulty of his life currently.