ACN Latitudes Forums

Ibuprofen

I just wanted to put this in a thread for some of the new people since it seems the info on Ibuprofen is falling through the cracks a little. Some kids have seen a temp easing of PANDAS symptoms while taking Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil). This is not to replace antibiotics or to replace trying to find a more permanent solution. If your child does not see an easing of symptoms from Ibuprofen, it does NOT rule out PANDAS. However, if your child PANDAS symptoms do dramatically decrease it can be an indicator of inflammation.

If Ibuprofen did not work before, it is worth revisting. One time it did not work for my son. Another time (at a different point in recovery) it did.

If your child will only take liquid meds, Motrin does offer a dye free one and some Targets carry a dye free generic.

Ibuprofen is a NSAID Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug. It is usually advised not to take Ibuprofen with a streoid since it can take a toll on the stomach when taking both at the same time. Even though Aleve is also a NSAID, it is not an Ibuprofen, and parents have not cited as successful results with the naproxen sodium NSAID.

As for dosing, it does appear on the back on the children's bottles. If you'd like to ask , please post and hopefully someone has a child similar in weight.

From the PANDAS FAQ page...

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6266

Q:I've read a lot about Ibuprofen, what can it do for my child?

A: Many parents report anecdotally that Ibuprofen (e.g., Advil, Motrin) seems to lessen symptoms. The exact reason is not known. Several recent papers indicate that this could be caused by reduced inflammation of the blood-brain barrier and thereby preventing the anti-neuronal antibodies from reaching neuronal tissue. For those interested in how T-cells cross the blood brain barrier and the effect of ibuprofen on ICAM-1 adhesion modules see http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...art=#entry46222

I think if you take Ibuprofen and a steroid at the same time there's a chance it may affect the lining. I am not sure on the specifics. If your child gets queasy after taking it, give milk prior to the Ibuprofen to coat the stomach. As for frequency, I have given it full dose every 6 hours (except while sleeping) to my son for a week when he wasn't doing well. After that, I've tried to limit how often I give it. Sometimes even once a day is enough to ease his PANDAS symptoms all day. I've read other parents have experienced good results with only one dose a day.I say try to give the minimum. For my son when he was needing it every 6 hours, it took 1/2 hour to get in his system and began wearing off at the 5 hour mark. If you don't see the PANDAS symptoms creeping back at the 6 hour mark, then hold off and see how long the easing of symptoms last. I would say, don't give it if they don't need it.

Right now my son doesn't need Ibuprofen. The only way you'll know if they can be fine without it is by not giving it and see how they do. If I see any questionable behavior surfacing, I will still give him a dose. For me, I would think it's easier to hold off bad inflammation before it occurs rather than trying to bring down what is already there.

I have heard some kids cannot take Ibuprofen. I don't know what happens to them and the reason they cannot tolerate it.

I think if you take Ibuprofen and a steroid at the same time there's a chance it may affect the lining. I am not sure on the specifics. If your child gets queasy after taking it, give milk prior to the Ibuprofen to coat the stomach. As for frequency, I have given it full dose every 6 hours (except while sleeping) to my son for a week when he wasn't doing well. After that, I've tried to limit how often I give it. Sometimes even once a day is enough to ease his PANDAS symptoms all day. I've read other parents have experienced good results with only one dose a day.I say try to give the minimum. For my son when he was needing it every 6 hours, it took 1/2 hour to get in his system and began wearing off at the 5 hour mark. If you don't see the PANDAS symptoms creeping back at the 6 hour mark, then hold off and see how long the easing of symptoms last. I would say, don't give it if they don't need it.

Right now my son doesn't need Ibuprofen. The only way you'll know if they can be fine without it is by not giving it and see how they do. If I see any questionable behavior surfacing, I will still give him a dose. For me, I would think it's easier to hold off bad inflammation before it occurs rather than trying to bring down what is already there.

I have heard some kids cannot take Ibuprofen. I don't know what happens to them and the reason they cannot tolerate it.

Sorry to butt in - but i was told by our GP that taking ibuprofen for any length of time can be dangerous and even cause stomach ulcers! Are you certain that it is safe for children to take regularly? Bev

You're not butting in! If you have info on anything, it's good to share. That's how we learn from each other. My son, when taken every 6 hours, it was only for a week. When I did once a day, that maybe lasted a couple weeks. Now, that he's recovered, if I see questionable behavior surfacing I may only give it for a day until I can see if there's reason for alarm.

I know some parents on here give it daily for longer periods of time. Perhaps they will chime in on whether any testing is done to ensure no problems are occurring from daily use. I, admit, I don't think I'd feel comfortable giving my son it daily indefinitely. That's just me.

Does your GP suggest never giving children Ibuprofen?

You're not butting in! If you have info on anything, it's good to share. That's how we learn from each other. My son, when taken every 6 hours, it was only for a week. When I did once a day, that maybe lasted a couple weeks. Now, that he's recovered, if I see questionable behavior surfacing I may only give it for a day until I can see if there's reason for alarm.

I know some parents on here give it daily for longer periods of time. Perhaps they will chime in on whether any testing is done to ensure no problems are occurring from daily use. I, admit, I don't think I'd feel comfortable giving my son it daily indefinitely. That's just me.

What I've heard from the pediatrician (for more than one of my kids), is that it is okay to give the allowable dosage on the bottle for short periods of time- like to nurse them through illness for a week or so, but the concern, aside from the stomach is that it's cleared through the kidneys. So, especially if on other meds that go through the kidneys, you need to be careful.

Hi Vickie,

The GP's here do advise letting children and adults take ibuprofen, but they are very cautious about taking it for too long. I think they mean if your taking it without an end in site - this is when it becomes dangerous. I would think that giving it for a week or two would be fine - but anything longer and i think your risking stomach ulcers and all sorts of internal conditions. I only know this because i thought i had a stomach ulcer last month and had an endoscopy to check it - it turned out to be acid reflux. But the consultant told me i shouldnt take ibuprofen as i may now be susceptable to stomach ulcers as there is a weakness. He then went on to say that NSAIDS (ibuprofen) are the main trigger for breaking down the stomach lining and causing stomach ulcers. I dont mean to cause offence to anyone - but it is worth thinking about if giving it on a regular basis to a child. Bev

In my sons case he has had sooooo many stomach problems, he is on prevacide and zantac because of serious acid reflux that is why i feel like i can only give him IBProfin occasionally. does anyone know of a med that will do the same thing as IBP and not be so rough on the stomach?

Lotafaith

i asked b/c i thought there was some issue with stomach trouble. my son has had some trouble this week and we've given him motrin more often than ever before. before had been a few days here or there during an exacerbation with the flu.

this week, sunday he was having a irrational tantrum over something and his mind switched track to all-okay 15 minutes after motrin. also b/c he was going to a hockey game that afternoon - if any hockey fans here, the Caps stadium is insane with sensory and every other kind of overload. the next few mornings were a little troublesome, so i gave it before school. then tuesday was my older son's birthday. we had given it before school and then again before we went to dinner. yesterday and today again before school. today he's had diarrhea. i didn't know if it was something that would cause that, that fast - 5 days in a row, 2 doses one day and diarrhea 2 days later. i'm not sure. maybe it's a bug that was causing the troubling behaviors - ? -

anyway - the issue seems to be more of a long-term use and long-term trouble - yes? at any rate, he's not going to school tomorrow and i won't give it to him.

thanks.