ACN Latitudes Forums

Obsessive-Compulsive Gene Located in Dogs

Now this is going to be helpful

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/obs...orders/19343100

CDH2 interacts with IQGAP1 which interacts with calmodulin which interacts with CaM2Kinase

Mutations in CDH2 produce OCD in dogs and antibodies against CaM2Kinase are associated with PANDAS.

My hypothesis: alteration of calmodulin-target protein interacts are critical in OCD. The aberrant immune response to strep somehow distorts this process.

Dr. T

Dr T we all need to hear this again? Is this fixable?!

Yes, please Dr. T, for those of us in the back of the class? Is it likely that it takes a combination of the genetics AND the infection to result in PANDAS, or is the gene solely a non-PANDAS OCD component?

BTW, our dog, a beagle, definitely has OCD; it's even occurred to me to have her tested for strep. Left to her own designs, she would probably chew/suck her toes off! Vet says there's nothing physical at issue, such as a fungus or whathaveyou. She's just a little nuts! :wacko:

BTW, our dog, a beagle, definitely has OCD; it's even occurred to me to have her tested for strep. Left to her own designs, she would probably chew/suck her toes off! Vet says there's nothing physical at issue, such as a fungus or whathaveyou. She's just a little nuts! blink.gif

Interesting. Have you ever put her on abx?

BTW, our dog, a beagle, definitely has OCD; it's even occurred to me to have her tested for strep. Left to her own designs, she would probably chew/suck her toes off! Vet says there's nothing physical at issue, such as a fungus or whathaveyou. She's just a little nuts! blink.gif

She has been on abx in the past for various things, such as urinary tract infections, but not since we started noticing the toe sucking. Not entirely sure how one would go about testing a dog for strep. Guess we could ask the vet . . . they'd be only too glad, I think, to milk us for some more $$$ for another procedure! Her health care is far more expensive than ours! :wacko:

She has been on abx in the past for various things, such as urinary tract infections, but not since we started noticing the toe sucking. Not entirely sure how one would go about testing a dog for strep. Guess we could ask the vet . . . they'd be only too glad, I think, to milk us for some more $$$ for another procedure! Her health care is far more expensive than ours! :wacko:

It might be worth while to just see if you can get a course of abx for her.

My dog has been on antibiiotics for about 5 months straight.Low dose but because she had some fungus stuff.Anyway I give her probiotics with the medication and shes been fine.

I think we all have a bit of OCD here on this forum,I know I feel much beter after I can read everyones post.

As for Mr.Dogman (I mean Dodman) Studying dogs since the 1980's looking for OCD genes? He could just stop by my house or even my school(Im a PE teacher) and have plenty to study.

Have a great day

Melanie

Believe it or not, our dog - a 50 pound Boxer - has actually been diagnosed with OCD and takes Clomipramine daily! Our dd thinks it is so cool that she has something in common with the dog....it's funny to hear her talk to her - sometimes I'll hear her telling the dog that "she understands what she is going through". Sweet (but sad, too!!).

Allergies often cause dogs to lick their toes. Have you tried giving her benedryl to see if it helps?

Angela

Taken from http://www.tjclarkinc.com/bacterial_diseas...us_pyogenes.htm

Group A streptococci are nearly always beta-hemolytic; related Group B can manifest alpha, beta or gamma hemolysis. Most strains of S. pneumoniae are alpha-hemolytic but can cause ß-hemolysis during anaerobic incubation. Most of the oral streptococci and enterococci are non hemolytic. The property of hemolysis is not very reliable for the absolute identification of streptococci, but it is widely used in rapid screens for identification of S. pyogenes and S. pneumoniae.

SF Mom - could you tell me what you mean "strep B can become strep A"?

thanks....