ACN Latitudes Forums

Noise sensitivity

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI,

Has anyone ever seen noise sensitivity as being a problem with PANDAS? Not all noises just certain ones like coughing and throat clearing?

hearing certain voices seem to irritate as well, has anyone had trouble with this type of sensitivity?

Just wondering,

Lotafaith :wacko:

My girls have both had noise sensitivity as part of their sensory issues related to PANDAS. You could find them holding their ears at strange times. If I raise my voice at them it physically hurts their ears. Things like emergency vehicle sirens, motorcycles and unidentified or sudden noises are very bothersome to them.

I've got it pretty badly too and I think I got it from the same strep that messed my girls up. I am very sensitive to the TV noise, the sound of dishes dropping and especially to a tone of voice that my girls use (especially dd8) that is very painful on my ears. It's really awful!

Susan

HI,

Has anyone ever seen noise sensitivity as being a problem with PANDAS? Not all noises just certain ones like coughing and throat clearing?

hearing certain voices seem to irritate as well, has anyone had trouble with this type of sensitivity?

Just wondering,

Oh, yes! And there seems to be a lot of variability...phases where different sensitivities come into play. My daughter suffered through an entire summer (in Phoenix, this is a very long season!) where she freaked every time the air conditioner came on. It took us a while to figure out what it was, because the rest of us don't even notice the sound. She has also had periods of the cough/sneeze sensitivity, male voices (talking at all)...mmmm, there have been many others, just can't think of them.

HI,

Just wondering,

Yes, my child had issues with certain noises like coughing and throat clearing and stomach gurgling. Everytime she heard me cough, clear my throat or my stomach gurgle she had to say certain things to me. That was how part of her OCD was. I took it to mean that it was very bothersome for her but I really don't know if it was noise sensitivity or OCD. Anyway, I wanted to answer in case it is this type for you.

Yeh - sensory processing issues in general surface for us but especially tactile and noise. The vaccuum and toilets flushing were especially difficult for my dd when in episdodes. My ds has trouble with noise too, the car engine was too much for him the other day and yet he can be super noisy :-) so type rather than just volume seems to be an issue. It also depends on where they are in terms of overload... what may be ok one minute can be too muchthe next, if they have already been overstimulated in sensory terms.

2 good books that deal with this are "The Out of Sync Child" and "Raising a Sensory Smart Child". Although, I have found that for our dd6, it goes away almost completely when her PANDAS episode stops. She is left with some low level tactile issues eg clothing tags, sock seams etc. It seems to be also true for our ds2 that it goes when not in an episode, although we are still trying to work out what is what for him 'cos of his age.

Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate sensory stuff from OCD and for us, I think, sensory stuff can warp into/kick off OCD issues. What starts as a sensory issue can become anxiety producing and can turn into an obsession and then a compulsion.

My son is 15 now, we have been dealing with all kinds of things for so many years, first was the toe walking at 9 months and then it was like a snow ball with autism, his communication skills are very, very poor. we have worked soooo hard on that for years. he started having trouble with noises at around 3yrs, first the bath tub water, vacuum cleaner, than birds, dogs barking then coughing and throat clearing. the throat clearing and coughing have stayed and has been his worst nightmare. we have had so many interventions go on now that I am not sure that I could even name them all. As time went by, he would start to get aggressive in public places and even towards us or the people who were doing the coughing and throat clearing, it has really segregated us, we have had alot of stomach issues and recently have started back on the probiotics but was of course overwhelmed with which one to give, I began to research again ( I can tell that like me we have all lived and breathed to read on this puter) but anyway, I somehow stumbled on a thread of this forum reading that a strain of strep in probiotics was not good to take, I had never heard that. I remember our ped saying a couple of years ago that word "PANDAS" to us but for some reason it never clicked at that time we had sooooo many things going on but something in his blood work gave him the idea, I am now researching and getting info together to go see him to see where he stands, I really hope he will work with us. I have had some questions answered reading this site, why does abx make him act different (better) why does a couple of ibprofun help sometimes and many other things, I know that we have been dealing with this all along, is it really true that this could get better with age? sorry, I am writing so fast because I have to leave for a while, thank you, thank you everyone for all the great info and having this forum, I will have to say peglam that mens voices, deep voices do bother him as well

s

Yeh - sensory processing issues in general surface for us but especially tactile and noise. The vaccuum and toilets flushing were especially difficult for my dd when in episdodes. My ds has trouble with noise too, the car engine was too much for him the other day and yet he can be super noisy :-) so type rather than just volume seems to be an issue. It also depends on where they are in terms of overload... what may be ok one minute can be too muchthe next, if they have already been overstimulated in sensory terms.

2 good books that deal with this are "The Out of Sync Child" and "Raising a Sensory Smart Child". Although, I have found that for our dd6, it goes away almost completely when her PANDAS episode stops. She is left with some low level tactile issues eg clothing tags, sock seams etc. It seems to be also true for our ds2 that it goes when not in an episode, although we are still trying to work out what is what for him 'cos of his age.

Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate sensory stuff from OCD and for us, I think, sensory stuff can warp into/kick off OCD issues. What starts as a sensory issue can become anxiety producing and can turn into an obsession and then a compulsion.

, I will have to say peglam that mens voices, deep voices do bother him as well

That reminded me that I could not sing to my daughters for years. They could not stand the "noise" and I'm not THAT bad of a singer :) Still to this day my dd6 will often tell me to stop if I try to sing.

Susan

, I will have to say peglam that mens voices, deep voices do bother him as well

That reminded me that I could not sing to my daughters for years. They could not stand the "noise" and I'm not THAT bad of a singer :lol: Still to this day my dd6 will often tell me to stop if I try to sing.

Susan

well I AM a bad singer, don't know if this PANDAS related, but my son gets very irritated and shows us and tells us to be quiet when me or my husband attempt to hum or sing. And I distinctly recall when I would sing Rock-a-by-baby to him when he was a baby, he would pout...... :)

So clearly we can determine that not only are parents of pandas kids usually intelligent but they can't sing either... hmm... The puzzle is slowly coming together for me :wacko:

Actually it is interesting to me because my son will say I am yelling sometimes when I am sooo not even close to yelling.

Dear folks - I don't sign on the forum often enuf. But I read this thread on Sensory stuff --- and I really think you should be alarmed and take this seriously. This indicates brain inflammation. Neurological changes (besides the OCD) often mean the reoccurrence or increasing severity of an exacerbation.

I hope the kids who have this are on antibiotics and/or getting some motrin or prednisone from an understanding doctor. I know it is a struggle for everyone to get help, and I hope you do have help. best wishes, diana

that makes alot of sense about the motrin stuff, I can give it to him and a few mins later he acts as if it has relaxed him and some times he will even go to sleep.

I am working so hard on finding a dr. close to us,

lol everytime I try to sing to him he looks at me like "are you really trying to do that again?" :P

Yes. We actually had problems with this early on, before the most severe flare. Our ds could not tolerate the lawn mower, sweeper, ect. He would hold his ears and scream and cry. This started at age 3 or so I am guessing...his biggest PANDAS like flare was at age 4.

I'm really trying to remember if my son was sensitive to sound. I think he was to voices. His sensory issues revolved more around touch, hot/cold, etc. I remember when I was a kid, I couldn't go to movies because they hurt my ears and department store lights hummed so loud to me we had to leave.