ACN Latitudes Forums

Ghee

Hi there,

So, I've got my daughter off of all dairy except for ghee since the bottle claims to be casein free...however it is STILL dairy. So, should I not even do ghee if I'm testing her for casein (which is broader than just testing for "milk")? If I don't use that I don't know what I could use since "earth balance buttery spread" still has some free glutamic acid (aka MSG in disguise) in it.

Any insights on ghee??

Thanks!

Valerie

Really? Earth balance has that in it? I must have missed it! Thanks for the info! I will be watching this thread because we would like an alternative, too!

What exactly is ghee?

Hey there,

Here is what has led me to believe that Earth Balance may have MSG in it. In the ingredients list it states "natural flavor" according to MSG websites, that is "secret code" for MSG. After the "natural flavor" listing it says in parenthesis (derived from corn, no msg, no alcohol, no gluten) Well, technically there may not be any MonoSodium Glutamate, but the root problem of MSG sensitivity is based on what is called "Free Glutamic Acid". Natural flavor that is derived from corn is probably Free Glutamic Acid. Also, right afterwards is listed "soy protein"...this is another code word for MSG.

I am no expert, I'm just parroting what I've been learning from the internet. You can look up info at:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/

here's the page that lists are the "secret names" of msg/free glutamic acid:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Okay, about Ghee. Well, here is a website that shows the stuff I've bought from our local natural foods store:

http://www.purityfarms.com/

It is actual butter, but it's clarified...whatever that means...and so it has no lactose or casein. It's also pricey!

Well....that's what I know anyhow! I'm hoping my daughter can have regular ol' butter soon...I have had her off all dairy and casein and haven't tried to introduce it back in yet...maybe I'm scared of the reaction we might get! lol

We successfully used Ghee when we eliminated dairy. It is clarified butter, so only the 'fat' remains.

It doesn't taste like butter.

You could use Spectrum Palm Oil instead or go 50/50 Palm Oil and Coconut Oil. Both are solid at room temperature.

You could make your own Ghee too. I never did.

ghee can do that. You could do like italians and spread olive oil and garlic powder (or rub fresh garlic) then toast it. We got into the habit of skipping the butter and just spreading apple butter or sometimes we did a thin layer of sunbutter.

Mayo is a possibility too.

Any artificial non-dairy usually has a smidgen of dairy. We never tried any of the commercial stuff (but then my son has a corn allergy). My kids will eat their bread plain with nothing on it now.

we use ghee as well as coconut oil/spread...I buy the coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature, at my local Publix and a jar lasts a long time

you can make your own ghee easily...and even walmart sells it now! $6 for a good sized tub

here is what someone posted that I use to make my ghee

The very best is made at home from organic butter-Salt free is very important!. Good quality organic butter is quite good and recommended. I have used regular brand, sweet cream unsalted when on a budget.

It takes me about 1/2 hour,(or less) to make two pounds of butter into ghee. I strain with regular medium fine wire mesh strainer into two pre-sterilized jars after the smell gets to the "popcorn stage" and everything is settled to the bottom. Cool a few minutes for safe handling.WARNING-Cooking just a few minutes too long- on med-low heat - can scorch the solids and ruin the whole batch.

This is enough to last a long time if stored properly. Airtight and in fridge. ( Clean up is quick -Use paper towels to wipe out residue and scrape rest of browned milk solids into garbage, not the sink, then wash pot) Easy!!