ACN Latitudes Forums

Started antibiotics last night

Started clarithromycin (generic of brand name biaxin) last night, for PANDAS that Dr. K. believes is caused by mycoplasma pneumonia. One 500mg pill last night before bed, another pill this morning--2 pills per day is the idea. Results were edgy during sleep-time last night and slight headache, more headache this morning, not so bad headache in late morning, but very severe hunger issues (as if blood sugar is now uncontrolled). Wondering if that can be yeast growing wildly, as I have had bad yeast issues and am still on 3 antifungals, it's my best guess, but wondering if that type of thing can happen with just the antibiotics fighting the bacteria. Also, maybe a bit more coughing and sneezing, as if the body is fighting something. Feeling pretty weak right now...

Michael

Sorry it sounds like you're having a rough time with it. Did you have the coughing and sneezing prior to starting the abs?

Can yeast get that out of control after only 1 or 2 doses? Could any of it be mind over matter due to nervousness over starting medications?I'm not saying you're imagining things, but that happens to me sometimes.

In December my daughter did 10 days of rifampin + full strength augmentin. The 1st 4 days she was sick (like you said- her body seemed to be fighting something), then 4 days of steady improvement, days 9, 10, and the 1st day after the rifampin were really a beautiful thing...seemed like a vacation w/o leaving home.

Started clarithromycin (generic of brand name biaxin) last night, for PANDAS that Dr. K. believes is caused by mycoplasma pneumonia. One 500mg pill last night before bed, another pill this morning--2 pills per day is the idea. Results were edgy during sleep-time last night and slight headache, more headache this morning, not so bad headache in late morning, but very severe hunger issues (as if blood sugar is now uncontrolled). Wondering if that can be yeast growing wildly, as I have had bad yeast issues and am still on 3 antifungals, it's my best guess, but wondering if that type of thing can happen with just the antibiotics fighting the bacteria. Also, maybe a bit more coughing and sneezing, as if the body is fighting something. Feeling pretty weak right now...

Michael

Maybe it is a big yeast overgrowth if you were battling yeast prior to abx. Possibly a healing regression (herx)? Since you are going to continue forward, I'd sure be pushing fluids, adding epsom salts baths and think about the possibility of a little activated charcoal to mop up the die off. Just be SO careful about keeping that charcoal hours (at least 2 and I'd aim for 4 hours) away from all other meds as it will mop up the good stuff as well as the bad. If you can time it correctly, it can really give relief from those toxic feeling regressions. Were you mycoplasma positive? High strep, too?

Well, things did calm down a bit after lunch, and are starting to act up again. Antifungals with every meal, so hopefully dinner with antifungals will help. I've started with probiotics every couple hours and hopefully that will help too.

Vicki--I did NAET on mycoplasma a few days before starting antibiotics, and the result of that was a little coughing did eventually start, a couple days after treatment. I'm assuming that got the body starting the fight a little before the antibiotics kicked in. (Faith--turns out the NAET did clear.) Yes a little bit surprising that the yeast would get that out of control after 2 doses. It had been a serious yeast infection, but I had made quite a bit of progress with it--not sure how much was left, or how quick the yeast can explode, my first experience like this. Guessing it's not mind over matter, but who knows, really came on pretty suddenly after a relatively uneventful doctor's appointment, my mind was certainly elsewhere at the time it happened.

Gat's Mom--Haven't heard of activated charcoal in a while. You're talking about the capsules people swallow? I am taking in the morning psyllium husk powder for yeast mop-up. Charcoal is good for yeast mopup or bacteria mopup? I was mycoplasma positive, but not strep positive, on the bloodwork. NAET testing showed sensitivity/allergy to mycoplasma and strep, but stronger reaction to mycoplasma, for whatever that's worth. That is not necessarily indicative of current infection, but could indicate had a serious problem with the infection at one point.

Michael

I still dont understand the mycoplasma issues and its connection to pandas .Can someone explain how the two are related.

Melanie

What Vicki said is definitely the theory Dr. K. is going on. He felt my symptoms and blood tests looked more like myco-p than strep, although admittedly in a couple of ways I looked like a blend of this and that. (The story of my life of being an enigma to everyone.) NAET testing did show allergies to both myco-p and strep, and so that could account for the blend of this and that, it really could be both myco-p and strep for me.

Michael

Well, things did calm down a bit after lunch, and are starting to act up again. Antifungals with every meal, so hopefully dinner with antifungals will help. I've started with probiotics every couple hours and hopefully that will help too.

Vicki--I did NAET on mycoplasma a few days before starting antibiotics, and the result of that was a little coughing did eventually start, a couple days after treatment. I'm assuming that got the body starting the fight a little before the antibiotics kicked in. (Faith--turns out the NAET did clear.) Yes a little bit surprising that the yeast would get that out of control after 2 doses. It had been a serious yeast infection, but I had made quite a bit of progress with it--not sure how much was left, or how quick the yeast can explode, my first experience like this. Guessing it's not mind over matter, but who knows, really came on pretty suddenly after a relatively uneventful doctor's appointment, my mind was certainly elsewhere at the time it happened.

Gat's Mom--Haven't heard of activated charcoal in a while. You're talking about the capsules people swallow? I am taking in the morning psyllium husk powder for yeast mop-up. Charcoal is good for yeast mopup or bacteria mopup? I was mycoplasma positive, but not strep positive, on the bloodwork. NAET testing showed sensitivity/allergy to mycoplasma and strep, but stronger reaction to mycoplasma, for whatever that's worth. That is not necessarily indicative of current infection, but could indicate had a serious problem with the infection at one point.

Michael

Yes, Michael activated charcoal in capsule form for mop off of all sorts of toxic die off. Citrus pectin is another one. You've really got to be careful about taking it far away from meds/supps because it will mop up the good stuff as well as the bad. I know I sound like a parrot about that but its always been stressed that same way to me. However, I know it can offer significant relief from some of the die off symptoms that come from using antifungals when you've got a big overgrowth going on. I don't know if die off is a problem from killing off bacteria like strep with high dose abx though I would think the same logic would be true. Am curious if anyone else has dealt with die off symptoms when killing strep...or is that the sawtooth recovery that I've read here before?

Sure hope you're feeling better each day.

Gat's mom.

NAET testing did show allergies to both myco-p and strep, and so that could account for the blend of this and that, it really could be both myco-p and strep for me.

Michael

michael - did the naet you did involved you holding the substance and someone testing your body? isn't there a treatment that goes along with that testing? why aren't/didn't you do that? is that treatment something they do in the office or something they give you to ingest?

thanks

Michael - Just wanted to say I took Biaxin about a few month ago for sinus infection. I developed a rash/hives about 18 days into my 20 day course. I initally thought it was contact dermatitis, and Benadryl relieved my symptoms that night and it was gone in the a.m. About 2 hours after my next, the burning rash returned with hives. Thank god it was my last dose... So just be on the look out for things that might show up as this builds up in your system.

Gat's mom--I'm keeping the charcoal in mind, but really not sure what to do. I am taking lots and lots of supplements all throughout the day, really needed to keep any semblance to health/functionality, and keeping off the yeast. Also, with antifungals at every meal, and the antibiotics first thing in morning and last thing at night, not really sure there is any time to take something like charcoal away from the drugs. I am taking psyllium husk powder for yeast die-off, and the amount I needed did increase at the beginning of the antibiotics, for a couple days, so perhaps it took care of the die-off.

smartyjones--The way naet works, it involves holding the item being tested in hand while they test how your energy works in another part of your body. If it goes weak, the substance is a problem that could be treated. Treatment involves, again, holding the substance in the hand, while some acupressure is given on the back (reset immune system) and then acupuncture is given in specific points for naet. Then, you avoid the substance (eating, touching, etc.) for 25 hours and in theory you're good. Next visit they can test to see if it held. I did get treated for mycoplasma pneumonia a few days before I started the antibiotics, and I think it started my body fighting something in it (perhaps good), I got treated for strep and a few other bacteria a few days ago, and actually got treated for lyme just this afternoon. Most familiar with NAET also consider how weak you are to the substance (when testing, before treating) a sign of how bad the problem is. I was incredibly weak to lyme, very weak for mycoplasma pneumonia, and weak for strep, and it will be interesting to follow that along with other blood tests and treatments. Kind of using this as an additional diagnostic tool, as all the blood tests are just for antibodies and are certainly not perfect in picking up the antibodies and can always be misinterpreted (no antibodies means your immune system is too weak to make any? or does it mean no infection needing to be fought?).

wornoutmom--Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep in mind.

As a matter of updating generally, it's been 3 days now, still not a long time as Dr. K. said to assess after 14 days, but, as of this time, I have not noticed anything good coming from the antibiotics.

Michael

smartyjones,

The first NAET person I went to, he set the timer for 20 minutes, meaning, the rest time while the treatment needles were in was 20 minutes, then he came in and took them out. Of course you have testing time and taking shoes on and off and all that kind of stuff. I think there I was normally out of there 40 minutes after I came in. The person I go to now, it's about 80 minutes later when I leave, I'm sure she has me resting with the treatment needles in for a longer time. Of course, now I'm a crazy PANDAS case, with a developing situation regarding blood tests and so on, so we have a bit more discussion on what to try next to get the most diagnostic and treatment benefit from it, and this takes time too.

Really using diagnostic tools and treatment tools wherever I can find them, but using bloodwork for diagnostic, and NAET for diagnostic and treatment, and of course symptoms as well as a diagnostic tool, and just trying to put the pieces together as best as possible. Using traditional meds where seems absolutely necessary. Antifungals have been awesome for me. Antibiotics, we'll see, it's been tough sledding so far, because the fungal infection isn't gone, the idea of being diagnosed with lyme and NEEDING antibiotics long-term is a scary proposition. I have 6 months to return to my job from disability before I'll just lose my job, and the prospect of getting the fungus killed off well enough to even handle that much of antibiotics, that sounds grim in terms of being able to do it in that timeframe. Maybe the NAET and all the other things I'm doing can help the traditional meds work better--oxygen therapy, plenty of supplements, acupuncture, and so on. I recently found a biofeedback test I had a number of years ago that showed a problem with rickettsia--a coinfection with lyme disease. Not sure how reliable that reading is, but, as a result of seeing this, when I sent away for my lyme tests, I checked that box as well, to have them look for rickettsia.

At the end of the 25 hour avoidance period immediately following pulling the needles out, the story is that the "allergy" is "permanently" gone. Keep in mind, most uses of NAET are for food allergies/sensitivities, and if you are reacting very poorly to a food, then treat it, then eat it, it is really quite easy to see the difference--quite amazing. As for the "permanent" part, let's be honest, this treatment doesn't get to the reason why you ended up being allergic to the thing in the first place, and if those conditions remain, you can get the allergy again. This happened with me a number of times with certain foods, and a few months ago I find out I had just an incredibly brutal fungal infection, which can lead to food allergies, and so that explains the reoccurences. When using NAET for the more esoteric things ... strep, lyme, and so on, again, the "allergy" is gone after 25 hours. But, what improved health will you see? How will you know? Perhaps, if that infection isn't in your system, there won't be any improvement. But I am guessing for these chronic hard-to-get-rid-of things like strep and lyme, you get the allergy because you've had the problem for so long and it's really taken a toll on your body, chances are you will still have the infection. But still, what improvement--perhaps you can now fight the infection a little better ... but ... well enough to really kill it? If PANDAS is an autoimmunity to the antibodies to strep, perhaps the best NAET treatment is treating the allergy to the antibodies for the bacteria, not treating the allergy to the bacteria. Indeed, a couple years back, a parent posted of successfully treating a child from PANDAS with the antibody treatment. If I remember, she posted that the cure was pretty obvious pretty quickly (a couple days?). I am certainly pursuing treatments with the antibodies as well ... at this time, my practitioner does not have vials for them, but I told her to get going with that. I do think it makes sense, even in this wonderful outcome, to still try to remove the infection (antibiotics or whatever else can really do it), because, if you don't, then you can just end up in the same spot later on, similar to how my food allergies returned and returned.

Michael