ACN Latitudes Forums

Vaccines and PANDAS

I would like to revisit if vaccines had a role in the sudden onset of PANDAS. Any thoughts? I notice flu and chicken pox vaccine were marked a few weeks before step infection and beginning episode.

My 9 year old son had a major exacerbation when he got the nasal flu mist in Nov. Sounds silly, but I knew the minute we got home from the Dr. that we were in trouble. He had not been officially diagnosed with PANDAS at that time. The reaction he had to it was what finally lead us to his diagnosis.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do not have to have compulsory vaccines for children in England (yet), so to opt out of them does not cause an issue with schooling. Our dd has not had any vaccines since the measles, as the drs stated immune system issues.

Are you allowed in the US to obtain an exemption of vaccines, due to health reasons, which would allow your children to still attend school. We don't vaccinate children here with any compromised immune system conditions.

Children here are given Tetnus as a single vaccine, and I think ours lasts 5 years. However I have not checked if it contains mercury, as they have phased it out of most childrens vaccines.

Some states you can take a religious exemption. Some states you can take a philosophical exemption. You can view your state's laws here...

http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws.aspx

Is a second chicken pox required in your state?

Thats what they told me at the beg of the school year this year and they gave parents a timeline to get it done. I never realized there were exemptions on this though, I am going to see about doing that- appreciate the info.

gggrrrr thats frustrating Iowa isn't on the list for any of those exemptions. Theres no way our pediatrician would let us get out of it- HUGE firm believer he is in immuniz and not in rheumatic fever so def not in PANDAS either

??? He doesn't believe in rheumatic fever?

I went to the website. It looks like Iowa accepts a religious exemption. It states

All states allow a religious exemption to vaccination except Mississippi and West Virginia.

I believe someone said that the way they produce the chicken pox vaccine can be seen as against many religious beliefs. Does ayone know anything about that?

I am lucky that I haven't had to make any vaccine decisons about my kids yet since PANDAS surfaced. I don't know what to do myself. I know I don't want the chicken pox vaccine esp since he had a reaction to the first one. I definitely need to research this more. I don't know what to do about the rest. I don't even know what else my kids will need. I don't think a second chicken pox is required in Ohio yet, but the ped has already offered him as second one. Gggrr is right!

gggrrrr thats frustrating Iowa isn't on the list for any of those exemptions. Theres no way our pediatrician would let us get out of it- HUGE firm believer he is in immuniz and not in rheumatic fever so def not in PANDAS either

??? He doesn't believe in rheumatic fever?

Isn't that crazy, we took him to our pediatrician like 10 times when he was spiking fevers 104 and lethargic for about 5 weeks in a row, they kept telling me he was catching one virus after another, they took him for blood draw, son fell asleep during the draw he was so out of it. They called and decided not to send the blood in, it was just a virus??? He had these lumps all over the back of his neck so took him to Blanks childrens hosp and they diagnosed him with rheumatic fever. My ped said that was "bunk- nobody gets that anymore" and removed him from the penicillin.

fyi...If you want your son to see a new ped, he can do so even w/o vaccine records being transferred yet. They only need the vaccine records when it's time to give more shots. So, in theory, you can call on Monday and get him in with a different doctor maybe same day.

When I finally left my ped I called around to local ped offices and just asked questions. They surprisingly answered them over the phone. Like a pre-screening. Why not pre-screen a ped?

I had the chx pox vacc conversation w/my ped a few weeks ago... I had asked before but wanted to hear it again from her... I wanted to know wy my kids 4 of them at the time had all had the vaccinations at age 1 (so all in different years) and then one fall they all got the Chicken Pox rash... one of them very bad! I cant recall everything she said but she talked about breakthrough cases... it still doesnt all add up in my book BUT one of the thing he did say is IF THEY HAD THE RAS THEY DO NOT NEED THE 2nd VACCINE... they are protected ... like most of us are as we all liley had the rash as kids....

soooo.... truth be told - or not told :( If it were me I would Stretch the truth to and TELL THEM YOUR CHILD HAD THE CHICKEN POX! maybe not the ethical choice but honestly when I started down this path I had to 'lie' about the reasons my son needed a strep test to convince the receptionist to schedule my appt!

sorry for the typos (too many sticky fingers on the computer today so the keys are sticking instead of clicking)... should say

IF THEY HAD THE RASH THEY DO NOT NEED ANY CHX POX VACCINES..... Not the 1st not the boost.... and my ped offices do not want to bring you in for a rash you describe as chx pox as it is an CONTAGIOUS DISEASE and there is nothing they can do for you but give treatment advice...