ACN Latitudes Forums

neck jerk/taurine and more questions......

bev

Hi all,

I was having trouble trying to find taurine etc at our local health food shops so went into a little village and found a wonderful 'holistic' shop that sells everything you could ever want! Anyway, I told the owner what it was for and he said to also give my son a probiotic. He said the drinks you can buy in the supermarket werent any good because once you have drunk them they lose their effect by the time they hit the stomach etc - so he showed me a tablet form of a probiotic which i have bought which is slow release and works better. For those who use probiotics - do you use tablet or drink form? I have also bought a better quality as he said the one i had was slower to absorb - apparently its an oxide and i should have been giving one that ends in 'trate' as its a better all-rounder.

I am also taking my son for a neck and head massage with oils next week as he has started with a neck jerk and his neck is sore. Are there any oils i should avoid that may trigger tics? Many thanks all.

Also, is there a particular treatment/vitamin that helps with neck jerks? Thanks. Bev x

Hi Bev,

My sons first symptoms (well after the ADD that we missed for I don't know how long) was the head/neck tics. We supplemented him with magnesium after information I found on the forum and it helped quite a bit. Also, as a Chiropractor, I adjust my son every week and I have started following the patients that I have with tics to see if there are commonalities in their biomechanics -- I would ask your therapist to focus on the upper neck and suboccipitals. I have had one patient specifically that has said adjusting his jaw or TMJ has been very beneficial as well. I sure hope your son has a quick improvement from those neck tics.

Craig

Hi all,

I was having trouble trying to find taurine etc at our local health food shops so went into a little village and found a wonderful 'holistic' shop that sells everything you could ever want! Anyway, I told the owner what it was for and he said to also give my son a probiotic. He said the drinks you can buy in the supermarket werent any good because once you have drunk them they lose their effect by the time they hit the stomach etc - so he showed me a tablet form of a probiotic which i have bought which is slow release and works better. For those who use probiotics - do you use tablet or drink form? I have also bought a better quality as he said the one i had was slower to absorb - apparently its an oxide and i should have been giving one that ends in 'trate' as its a better all-rounder.

I am also taking my son for a neck and head massage with oils next week as he has started with a neck jerk and his neck is sore. Are there any oils i should avoid that may trigger tics? Many thanks all.

Also, is there a particular treatment/vitamin that helps with neck jerks? Thanks. Bev x

Hi

Just wanted to share that my son went through a period of terrible neck-jerking (looked like his head was about to fall off every time). It turns out he needs to stay away from flax seed oil in any form. Once we removed that the difference was dramatic (it went from a 10 to a 1). Magnesium was also very helpful as well as natural diet. I found TAURINE to make his slightly worse, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Good luck

Giulia

bev

chiropractic and acupuncture have always been very helpful for my son's motor tics

you can also make your own epsom salts cream to rub in to neck (or any other area where tics are focal point)

My son actually prefers a washcloth soaked in warm epsom water applied to the neck, and resoaked and repeated for about 15-20 min

here is my recipe for making the cream (courtesy of mrsD)

Mix some epsom salts(about a tablespoonful) into water on a plate, use as little water as possible, then mix it into a cream of your choice. (I used Aquaphor--because it is designed to

accept water without liquifying).

I use a tablespoon epsom for about 1/4 cup cream

here is a more recent and very innovative method for just magnesium cream

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post608661-182.html

however, mag sulfate as in the epsom salts has additional benefits to just mag alone, as the sulfates have their own effect in conjunction with the magnesium effect

bev

chiropractic and acupuncture have always been very helpful for my son's motor tics

you can also make your own epsom salts cream to rub in to neck (or any other area where tics are focal point)

My son actually prefers a washcloth soaked in warm epsom water applied to the neck, and resoaked and repeated for about 15-20 min

here is my recipe for making the cream (courtesy of mrsD)

Mix some epsom salts(about a tablespoonful) into water on a plate, use as little water as possible, then mix it into a cream of your choice. (I used Aquaphor--because it is designed to

accept water without liquifying).

I use a tablespoon epsom for about 1/4 cup cream

here is a more recent and very innovative method for just magnesium cream

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post608661-182.html

however, mag sulfate as in the epsom salts has additional benefits to just mag alone, as the sulfates have their own effect in conjunction with the magnesium effect

Thanks Cheri,

Funnily enough when we were coming home in the car today my son asked me if there was anything i could rub on his neck as it felt stiff. I was wondering what would be the best product - so great timing - thanks again! Will let you know if it helps. Bev x

once you have drunk them they lose their effect by the time they hit the stomach etc

You mean during the 1.5 seconds they're being swallowed they somehow lose their effectiveness? :D

I think that doc was likely trying to sell their own product

not sure which liquids they were referring to but Kefir is one of the oldest and most effective probiotics known

Hi all,

Son has been taking taurine,magnesium, vit B and probiotic for 1 week now. There has been a small improvement in the neck jerk. He is still doing it - but its not as violent and he also said he doesnt *feel* the need to do it as much. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more improvement over the next few weeks. How long did it take for others to see any improvements? Also, I realise we arent giving him the full list of supplements that you all give, I just wanted to start slowly just in case something reacted with him. He was taking flax oil - but he hates it and also i did think that it seemed to make his neck jerk a bit worse (although he did only take it for a few days - so no real proof).

Can anyone advise me what supplements i should start adding now - or do you think i should give it a few more weeks on this regimen? Many thanks. Bev