ACN Latitudes Forums

mipronunciations?

This may sound strange, but I was just curious whether anyone else's kid has a strange way of mispronouncing everything?

My son does this even with words that he pronounced correctly last week, or words that I've correct 100 times

The mispronunciations are usually an attempt to phonetically sound out a word... so it seems like he's correctly "reading" the word in his mind but can't remember how to say it.

It could just be because he reads so much and gets almost all his information through reading (he is home schooled and reads at least 3 hours a day) His vocabulary is extremely precocious. But the mispronunciations, though cute, are a little odd and they seem to be getting worse.

Just curious.

By sheer coincidence I think my son is doing what you are explaining. for him, I know it's because he's learning to read and spell and he's carrying it over to just talking. So our reasons may be different.For my son, I'm not concerned.

Do you read aloud to him as well? I can't remember how old yours is.

i do think these odd speech things are a symptom. my son was very early talker. looking back, before he went to pre-school at age 3 & 3 months, he would occasionally/often do this talking in rhymes thing. we thought it was interesting but not worrisome. now i definitely think it's related.

during exacerbation, he does annoying silly rhyming and repeating with some baby talk.

now, he sometimes does things like you are describing. not really noticeable to others as anything but i notice if he's doing it often or annoyingly and think that is a ramp up of symptoms.

This may sound strange, but I was just curious whether anyone else's kid has a strange way of mispronouncing everything?

My son does this even with words that he pronounced correctly last week, or words that I've correct 100 times

The mispronunciations are usually an attempt to phonetically sound out a word... so it seems like he's correctly "reading" the word in his mind but can't remember how to say it.

It could just be because he reads so much and gets almost all his information through reading (he is home schooled and reads at least 3 hours a day) His vocabulary is extremely precocious. But the mispronunciations, though cute, are a little odd and they seem to be getting worse.

Just curious.

My son pronounces words OK but he does funny little mix up phrases. For example, he will say "by the sides" instead of "besides"

Sometimes it is funny...my younger son picks it up too though...

yes, my son does this too... an example that really stands out in my mind is Michael Phelps... My son loved watching him in the olympics... heard his name a million times... but when he would talk about him he called him Michael Phillips.... even if you correct him and he says it back he still pronounces it Phillips... we haven't talked about him for a while so I may bring him up and see if I still get the mixup....

also interesting... it took my son forever to be able to say the days of the week in the correct order! It made me crazy... he finally got it over this past summer (he was 9) and I recall being at the ped when he turned 9 telling her about the days of the week/months of year thing and her blowing me off (I am sure she thought I was crazy telling her my 3rd grader did not know the days of the week yet got all A's on his report card!

I think there is a tie in somewhere... maybe on the sensory side... have you read "the out of synch child'?

also interesting... it took my son forever to be able to say the days of the week in the correct order! ?

yes - i think it's all related! my son does know the days of the week in the correct order. i have noticed at times when i think he's not doing so well with other things, he seems to ask me about days - what is after today, , is saturday a school day, and he can't seem to remember the order, etc. i've noted it in my mind b/c i know he knows the correct order and i've wondered how that plays in b/c it has seemed to be at the same time that other things are ramping up.

oh my - the days of the week.

I spent the entire summer trying to teach them to my dd (age 6), with no luck.

Literally, the week after pex, I reviewed them with her once- and she knew them. I couldn't believe it- tested her again and again.

I think it might be a short term memory thing?

My daughter cannot spell in an exacerbation. I kind of ignored this at the time, but it has now vanished, and at age 8, I am finding that she is an astonishing speller! Her handwriting is now completely back as well - and she has quite nice printing. She had her review at school today, and I learned that she is at the top of the class in spelling. Very odd to realize! Honestly, the least of my concerns were spelling & handwriting at the time. But its a very nice side benefit for her.

My son also struggles with the days of the week and can't remember things like his address, phone number, etc... and he's supposed to be borderline "profoundly gifted."

His working memory is not that bad either. He had the whole litany of tests last year when we were trying to figure it out. His IQ scores (and I hope you guys don't think I'm a jerk for sharing these, but it's all so interesting to me) were:

Verbal-- 155

Performance-- 145

Working memory-- 120

Processing speed-- 115

He is home schooling, and generally he does work that is 4-5 grade levels above his age but he won't write and he has the attention span of a flea. He can't stay on task at all, unless it's something he's chosen or he's learning on the computer.

The PEX did not "fix" any of this... and the IVIG definitely made it worse. But I keep hoping that we're on the cusp of a breakthrough.

What's interesting about the mispronunciations is that he appears to be "reading" the word in his mind. You can see his eyes moving.

Wow- my older daughter has always been an amazing speller- but I have been noticing a TON of mistakes this school year. I have put it off to be careless, as she is getting older- but now I don't think so.

I was asking her earlier today, about her ocd thoughts and worries. Then I threw in if she is having any issues academically.... she answered "maybe spelling".

Sigh.